Mk7 Sportwagon Roof rack differences from the Mk6

laminated

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Sportwagen
Just curious as I see the odd set of racks for sale, I saw there is a cutoff at 2014 from what I see on VW site, but wonder if a mk6 set can be adapted perhaps

AlcoC420

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm not sure either, but the VW crossbars grip the roof rail and surround it. I suspect there's a difference in the roof rail profile between the MK6 and MK7. If you stop by your Dealer, you might find some bought-back MK6 TDIs at the back of the lot and you could compare them with the new MK7s?

surfstar

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf & Passat - sold | 2016 GSW TSI
This was maddeningly hard information to find.
I was eventually able to determine that the GSW has similar spread as B6 Passat, which let me find a deal on some obscure NOS crossbars.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7945441-Under-100-cross-bar-options
They are no longer $72, though.

But, relevant info: GSW rail bar spread is 37” front, 34” rear +/- (eBay has some cheap bars that fit)
I believe (can't verify personally) that the JSW is about an inch wider overall.

If you're not buying low profile crossbars that fit "in-between", and have adjustable width ones, anything that could clamp onto the roof rails of a JSW should fit easily.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
I strongly recommend roof rack attachment that wraps around the factory rack.

one member here had some that clamp inside, and had a rack of bikes depart the top of the car.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Thule areoblades 53" just fit, the extra length looks stupid but heck it held 5 sheets of 3/4" 4x8' CDX plywood. Roof racks are for purpose!

I'd hate to ballance that on the narrow OEM bars.

Also the aeroblades are silent with the roof closed, and slight whistle with the roof open.

Z85rado

TDI
2015 Sportwaged TDI
I just installed Thule 450R and 50 inch square bars yesterday to put the yakima rocketbox I picked up on it. I picked up the whole deal used from 2 sellers locally off craigslist and under 300 dollars total. Right now we have the pack and play and stroller in it with plenty of extra room. I laugh at my wife who never thought she would have a wagon let alone with a cargo box.. yet she loves it!

The Tortoise

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Trendline - White
I picked up the same racks used for a cheap price. My main motivation for not getting the OEM ones is that the 50 inch bars will better accommodate a canoe and other wide stuff.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk