Small Radiator fan

Ptplayers

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL 6M with sports package
I have noticed lately that when the car reaches 90 deg the small fan comes on and will remain on until i shut the car off .

The car is not over heating and runs normally and no lights are on dash .

Also does the normal regen when the big fan will also come on and shut off when cycle is complete .

Anyone else had this issue ?

Do not really want to spend money of the car as it will be gone soon .

Thank you

c-wagen

Veteran Member
TDI
North American Passat 2012 TDI SEL (bought back march 2018)
Not sure if is the small fan, but mine is doing something similar.

Car: 2012 VW Passat TDI SEL (automatic)
Miles: around 77000
Oil changed 300 miles ago
Coolant replaced @61300 miles, one year ago (early may 2016).
Outside temp since happening: 80 to 85 Farenheit

I'm noticing that after I drive, even at easy highway speeds (65 MPH, flat), the fan will be on when stopping, and running after I shut the car off for a while. Temperature needle is at 190, no alarms are on, and no regeneration was going on (Low RPM idle). Refrigerant level is good.

I dont recall it running always before. Any thoughts? Or should I drive more, worry less?

Thanks!

PD: Ptplayers, might you change the title to something like: Small radiator fan always running? People might not identify what is the thread about with the title you used...

Last edited:

Ptplayers

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL 6M with sports package
Not sure if is the small fan, but mine is doing something similar.

Car: 2012 VW Passat TDI SEL (automatic)
Miles: around 77000
Oil changed 300 miles ago
Coolant replaced @61300 miles, one year ago (early may 2016).
Outside temp since happening: 80 to 85 Farenheit

I'm noticing that after I drive, even at easy highway speeds (65 MPH, flat), the fan will be on when stopping, and running after I shut the car off for a while. Temperature needle is at 190, no alarms are on, and no regeneration was going on (Low RPM idle). Refrigerant level is good.

I dont recall it running always before. Any thoughts? Or should I drive more,

worry less?

Thanks!

PD: Ptplayers, might you change the title to something like: Small radiator fan always running? People might not identify what is the thread about with the title you used...

Thank you and it is the small fan , big one runs during regen

c-wagen

Veteran Member
TDI
North American Passat 2012 TDI SEL (bought back march 2018)
One observation on my case: I overfilled the coolant tank (my fault), even when the manual indicates to do not overfill. I removed liquid so the level is in between the marks (not so easy to see), and I feel it improved (I felt car fans start running when car is shut, less frequently while running). I'll keep looking at it and update. Is the level high in yours?

Ozium

TDI
1999.5 Jetta, 2000 Golf and 2014 Passat
My small fan is also on all the time. I notice on scan gauge that the coolant temp is around 95c and higher. Having 200 000km on the car and doing 2 heater cores so far I'm starting to wonder if the rad might be plugged as well.

Ozium

TDI
1999.5 Jetta, 2000 Golf and 2014 Passat
Small fan big fan problem

Fixed the small fan staying on all the time. Found one of the brushes on the big fan was stuck in and not making contact with the stator. Easy to do,remove the upper right screw for the fan shroud, take the skid plate off, disconnect the power, remove the remaining three screws, drop the fans and shroud down and out, unclip the wiring harness remove the 3 10mm nuts, use a dermal to cut the small lock tabs and free up the brush/new spring.

Something like this:
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/radiator-ac-fan-motor-repair-on-mk5-vw-jetta-golf/

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Remember when ever the AC is on, the fan will move air through the condenser, not sure if its the small one or the big one.