RNS510 replacement. Looking for latest info.

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Golf SEL Sportwagen, 2005 Jetta TDI, John Deere 355D
I had every intention of replacing the archaic RNS510 in my 2013, but when the buyback was announced, I kind of stopped searching. Well, I'm buying a 2015 so I'm back in the game. Curious what the latest is on this. Has anyone put the MIBII in yet? I know it physically fits, and will require an adapter for the harness, but has anyone gotten past component protection? I have access to dealer tools, but would like to know if it's even possible before dropping $500.00 on a head unit. I have a nice kenwood with CarPlay in my truck, but I read the other members thread who did the pioneer (or jvc or whatever) retrofit and it seemed like a lot more drama than I want to deal with on a brand new car. Thanks in advance for any info or help.

Mixchump

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon 1.9L TDI - 5-Spd Manual, 2015 Passat 2L TDI 6-spd Manual
I'm basically in the same boat. I just took delivery of a 2015 Passat 6M Sport, and the audio system is (again) so horrible-sounding, that I have to make a move this time. I put up with the **** system in my 2012 for almost 5 years, and I'll be damned if I do it again.

Why doesn't somebody make a real contender as a head unit that would UP the game in automotive systems.

What I actually want is a head unit that has it's own SIM card (on my family data plan), so that the car is able to run Google Maps or WAZE, and be getting real-time, dynamic traffic and route information. I want my GPS to be smarter than stale map data and zero real-time route information. Otherwise, I have to run WAZE on my phone, and I hate having to even touch the damned thing while driving.

Does such a thing exist?

Devious

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI (White)
I was hoping with the buy-back that there would be people selling their after-market head units with all the pieces required to put in my 2015 Passat TDI (new to me).

The RNS 510 is so painful.. It is supposed to have more functions than what I had in the 2010 Jetta it replaced but the NAV is pretty terrible and the backup camera kicks in after it is useful...

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, as we speak I'm working on trying to update to the discovery media (MIBII) system. The biggest problem so far is that everyone who is doing it, is doing it to the golf, which has a completely different system architecture than our Passats. My tech has my car at his house tonight seeing if the 2017 discovery media out of a Passat will work or what it will take to make it work. Component protection is probably going to give fits, but hopefully there is a workaround. I know going aftermarket would be easier, but in a brand new car, I prefer factory components. I shall keep you posted.

Mixchump

TDI
I shall keep you posted.
Please do!! I asked my dealer about installing the Discovery head unit in my brand-new 2015, and they sent me a link to a VW Parts listing for a RNS-310 coming in at $2500 CDN...

Honestly, this stock system in my 2015 sounds so horrible, I want to sick a fork in my eye every time I turn it on. I'm a Recording Engineer / Producer, so it's particularly useless to have an audio system in a brand new car that sounds dreadful. I'm REALLY hoping the Discovery series w/Apple CarPlay sounds a whole lot better than this...

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Please do!! I asked my dealer about installing the Discovery head unit in my brand-new 2015, and they sent me a link to a VW Parts listing for a RNS-310 coming in at $2500 CDN...

Honestly, this stock system in my 2015 sounds so horrible, I want to sick a fork in my eye every time I turn it on. I'm a Recording Engineer / Producer, so it's particularly useless to have an audio system in a brand new car that sounds dreadful. I'm REALLY hoping the Discovery series w/Apple CarPlay sounds a whole lot better than this...
The Alltrack has car play, not sure if you've used VW CarPlay but it's really pontless other than charging the phone. It wants to over ride the audio system all the time. Just because I plug in my phone I don't want it to bring up maps, it mutes the radio all the time expecting you to give it a voice command. As for the audio quality of the fender system it's nice but most of that has to be how quite the mk7 platform is

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
So here is where I'm at if anyone is interested. The best system for possible retrofit is the discover media. I bought one on eBay for $299, and it is being sent to retrofits unlimited in New Jersey, where it will be disassembled, and the PCB sent to Poland for mods to remove component protection. It will come back to me coded and set up (I had to send them a VCDS autoscan) and with the proper adapter for the wiring to plug in to my cars harness. I honestly have over 20 hours of research and reading into this, and after finally hooking up with RU, I'm convinced this is the only way to go for me. Sure, I could put a kenwood or pioneer or whatever in, but I really like the clean look of factory parts. I'm told turnaround will be about a month, which is fine, because the RNS510 works perfect, and is much faster than the 2013. Not for the faint of heart I guess, but to each their own. Although looking back at the install Mr.Furious did, this seems much easier. (I think it was him, correct me if I'm wrong and I'll edit).

Devious

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI (White)
Hey Loco. What do you think all in this will run you?
What functions will work? MFD integration of the NAV? Car play?

What size screen? And what was $299?? Seems way to cheap for a head unit? Maybe you meant 3k. Send me the listing. I'm very interested in seeing where you go with it. Damn head unit needs a tune for sure. So frustrating to be reversing and the screen is showing system starting ...

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
Head unit was $299. Two hundred ninety nine, on eBay. Mods I'm told will cost between 3-5 hundred. I obviously don't have it yet, but am told all functions will work. MFD, NAV, backup camera, CarPlay, etc. pretty sure posting an eBay link is not allowed, but searching will find it. Be careful, as I've learned many sellers on eBay have no clue as to what they have and are selling units listed as having nav that do not. Discover media out of a Passat or Tiguan is what is needed as those are the only two that are an all in one unit. Most people are retrofitting the golf which is a completely different, two part system where the "brains" are in the glovebox. 6.5 inch screen. Same as RNS510.

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
Part number 5C0035684A. I would guess they are selling cheap because people are struggling to get around component protection. Put that part number in eBay and what I bought will come up. The seller I bought from has 3 left.

j2112morris

TDI
2014 Audi Q5 Premium Plus TDI (sold)
Ok, so why isn't this plug and play? Have you sent it out for the mods yet? My unit has an intermittent problem (silent, connects to bluetooth but does not play and cannot use the phone, no cd, no radio, just silence while watching the volume bar go up and down) and I would prefer not to wait until a complete failure and then just put something in for my commute that looks like a slop job.

Also, whatever happened to considering the ANS-810? There are some for sale at Aliexpress. It looks like a nice alternative but I don't know anybody who has purchased one.

Thanks for the research on this.

Drive safe.

Last edited:

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
Not to be a smartass, but it's not plug and play simply because the plugs are different for starters.

j2112morris

TDI
Not to be a smartass, but it's not plug and play simply because the plugs are different for starters.
Not taken that way. I've not done the research you have and was not aware of that.
Do you have a link to the company that will handle the reprogramming of the unit? My Google search failed.
Thank you.
Drive safe.

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
They are working on making an official website as we speak and I will gladly share it once it is up and running. If you don't want to wait for it, let me know and I'll give you his contact info.

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
Can anyone tell me where the USB plug is on a Passat that has CarPlay? Having trouble finding that part and where it goes.

j2112morris

TDI
My wife's GLI has it in the space in front of the shift, were all the blanks and the Push To Start button is.

j2112morris

TDI
I stand corrected, in the void under the climate control where you can place various items such as a wallet, there is an insert for the USB connection. It is not in a blank, as I previously thought. Sorry for the mistake.

Drive safe.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Same spot at the Golfs, it takes a 5 year old hand to get the plug in there.

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
I think I'll try to find a way to put it in the armrest. I like to keep that cubby closed.

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
Not yet. The unit is on its way back from Poland I’m told. Been a slow process but hopefully worth it in the end.

Devious

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI (White)
Not yet. The unit is on its way back from Poland I’m told. Been a slow process but hopefully worth it in the end.
Still will be very interested to see how it goes and hopefully copy for my car.

A had an RCD 330 in my cart because I really want car play. But when I realized I'd loose Sirius I had to bail on it.

j2112morris

TDI
The RCD 330 seems like a viable option, for me. I don't need the CD or Sirius. I really want a better responding rear camera. Thanks for bringing this up.

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
The RCD 330 seems like a viable option, for me. I don't need the CD or Sirius. I really want a better responding rear camera. Thanks for bringing this up.
How slow is your back up camera? The reason I ask is that on our 13 it was very slow, but on the 15 it is very very fast and very acceptable.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
On my '13, it's very rare that the camera isn't up and running by the time I look at it . . . But I do back into an alley, so need to take a good hard look left and right before actually backing . . . still seems like it is up in 3 to 4 seconds, though . . .

j2112morris

TDI
How slow is your back up camera? The reason I ask is that on our 13 it was very slow, but on the 15 it is very very fast and very acceptable.
VERY SLOW. My '13 Jetta was much faster. I estimate a minimum of 60 seconds. The head unit is about the worse part of the car, IMHO. The fact that I will be two minutes down the road before I can change the input from radio or media or another setting, is unacceptable in my book. The only way I can find to bypass any of this is unlock the car as soon as it is in range of my fob. From what I can tell, it starts the "warm up" process as soon as the doors are unlocked. It really is pathetic but, as I said, the only drawback of the car, as far as I'm concern.
It might have to do with the fact I have NAV in mine. My Jetta did not.
Drive safe.

Mixchump

TDI
Well, I'm about to get a Kenwood Excelon Series DNX693S installed this week. I was initially leaning towards the 893S, but the fold-out front panel, but to be able to insert a disk is a bit buggy, and I really don't care for the larger screen. That, and having a dedicated volume knob is at least a bit less 'aftermarket-looking' than a completely flat front panel, devoid of any rotaty encoders...
http://www.kenwood.com/ca/car/excelon/dnx693s/

To be honest, I'm quite jealous of those of you in the UK market that can install the VW-sanctioned Kenwood head unit DNX525-DAB. Looks so much better than the stuff available in the North American market...
http://www.kenwood-electronics.co.uk/car/oem/vw/DNX525DAB/

I'll report back on my experience with this, and hopefully, it all goes according to plan, in terms of backup camera, Steering Wheel controls, CarPlay, etc., etc.

I was initially leaning towards the Pioneer AVIC series, but everyone I've talked to has said that the audio quality on the Kenwood stuff is much better, so that (for me) has to rule the day...

Still interested to see if the retrofit of the Discovery Media unit is successful...

Devious

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI (White)
Why didn't you look at the RCD 330 if you only needed carplay and backup camera etc? It would have been a lock for me but no Sirius. Doesn't look like the Kenwood has it either.

Well, I'm about to get a Kenwood Excelon Series DNX693S installed this week. I was initially leaning towards the 893S, but the fold-out front panel, but to be able to insert a disk is a bit buggy, and I really don't care for the larger screen. That, and having a dedicated volume knob is at least a bit less 'aftermarket-looking' than a completely flat front panel, devoid of any rotaty encoders...
http://www.kenwood.com/ca/car/excelon/dnx693s/

To be honest, I'm quite jealous of those of you in the UK market that can install the VW-sanctioned Kenwood head unit DNX525-DAB. Looks so much better than the stuff available in the North American market...
http://www.kenwood-electronics.co.uk/car/oem/vw/DNX525DAB/

I'll report back on my experience with this, and hopefully, it all goes according to plan, in terms of backup camera, Steering Wheel controls, CarPlay, etc., etc.

I was initially leaning towards the Pioneer AVIC series, but everyone I've talked to has said that the audio quality on the Kenwood stuff is much better, so that (for me) has to rule the day...

Still interested to see if the retrofit of the Discovery Media unit is successful...