Passat NMS VCDS Tricks / Upgrades

gothicreader

TDI
09-JETTA TDI & 2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium
I've enabled the rain sensor, awhile back, but yet to test the other feature with the sunroof, etch. All in all the rain sensor works pretty well - sometimes too good.
I did make some mods in adding features like the seat belt chime, showing the console in both metric and miles, among other stuff. Works like a charm.

shak911

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI-372000KM
I've enabled the rain sensor, awhile back, but yet to test the other feature with the sunroof, etch. All in all the rain sensor works pretty well - sometimes too good.
I did make some mods in adding features like the seat belt chime, showing the console in both metric and miles, among other stuff. Works like a charm.
auto wipers is priceless..yeah sometimes it does a single sweep when it is not raining..could be due to direct sunlight reflection or whatever..
but for the auto close...it does not always work, sometimes no windows close..or only the front windows do...but really it is a none issue to me as I do not plan on leaving windows down or sunroof open...makes no sense..too risky

cheers

o_a_ravi

TDI
Passat TDI SE 2.0T
Both auto rain wipers and sunroof/window closing works off of the RLS Rain Sensors. As others mentioned, its always a hit or miss thing., has to some something with the Sensor itself.

One thing i noticed was, ever since i replaced my windshields (stock windshield broked) replaced with a OEM equivalent one, which doesnt have the light green tint as the original glass.

Replacement Glass seems to work better with the RLS., the sensing is more responsive and works better now.

Thinking that there should be a VCDS setting to adjust the sensor threshold.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
I've seen a picture somewhere showing EGT in the MFD. Can that be enabled, or is additional hardware required? Would be a nice way to watch for a DPF purge. I can't use Torque, because I don't have an Android phone, and not going to get one just for that. :)

pedorro

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Sport
I've seen a picture somewhere showing EGT in the MFD. Can that be enabled, or is additional hardware required? Would be a nice way to watch for a DPF purge. I can't use Torque, because I don't have an Android phone, and not going to get one just for that. :)
Additional device - the AutoPolar FIS+

The main thread is pretty easily located.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
Additional device - the AutoPolar FIS+
The main thread is pretty easily located.
I was aware of that one. Wasn't sure if that was the only way. Thanks! :D

HighVoltageTDI

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI 2014 Passat TDI SEL
I just picked up a Passat SEL and read that there is no way to keep the car running with the remote start which sucks. Is there any way to extend the run time. 10 minutes is a joke.

Fav40

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL (BB 2/17/17) 2017 Passat V6 SEL Premium
I too have an SEL and never wished for extended run time, but simply the ability to unlock once started. Idling these motors is just wear and tear, plus probably going add to the clogging up your DPF filter.

Installed a Frost heater @ 500 miles and I've been happy every time I get in my car on a cold day after plugging in.

http://www.frostheater.com/

HighVoltageTDI

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI 2014 Passat TDI SEL
I too have an SEL and never wished for extended run time, but simply the ability to unlock once started. Idling these motors is just wear and tear, plus probably going add to the clogging up your DPF filter.

Installed a Frost heater @ 500 miles and I've been happy every time I get in my car on a cold day after plugging in.

http://www.frostheater.com/
I will most likely pick up a frostheater for my 10' jetta and my new Passat, I wanted longer run times for when I cant plug it in. It would be nice to have the temp gauge move some when I get in it after working a 16hr day in the cold.

deAutoLED.com

Vendor
TDI
2002 jetta TDI
I fiddled around with mine last night and left the bit for "DRL via separate bulb active" checked for gits and shiggles. I think it looks kinda cool to have the fogs and DRLs on together. :cool: Makes me question whether I should put the DeAutoKey LED DRLs back in or not. Having a "cool white" DRL with a slightly yellow-ish fog light might look odd.

I'm sure it's easy to picture in your head but I'll take a picture before I leave work tonight.
people normally install our white Fog LEDs which match the DRLs:
http://deautokey.com/product/passat-b7-complete-led-fog-light-kit

Thank you

Vagfan

TDI
Passat B7 Bluemotion TDi, Polo 6R 1.2TDi
I have a passat b7 2.0tdi bluemotion 170bhp MY2011 Comfortline in India.. The problem is i'm not able to activate Horn confirmation on lock/unlock even after enabling if from VCDS 15.7,Activate/Deactivate Blinking Confirmation works without issue. Also Staging/indicator celebration does not work it says Error:Channel Not available.Although many of my friends in India have activated these features on their passat, Jetta and Polo but i dont understand why i can't enable them in my Car.
Can anyone help please..

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Has anyone figured out how to enable the flashing CHMSL?

I see the 14's (or maybe the 15's) has the function enabled that will flash the CHMSL when you apply the brakes. I can't figure it out on my 13....

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Both auto rain wipers and sunroof/window closing works off of the RLS Rain Sensors. As others mentioned, its always a hit or miss thing., has to some something with the Sensor itself.

One thing i noticed was, ever since i replaced my windshields (stock windshield broked) replaced with a OEM equivalent one, which doesnt have the light green tint as the original glass.

Replacement Glass seems to work better with the RLS., the sensing is more responsive and works better now.

Thinking that there should be a VCDS setting to adjust the sensor threshold.
Last week, I took my newly acquired VCDS and attempted to enable the rain sensor. Our car is one of the '13 Passat SELs that has the sensor behind the mirror. Although I ran through the procedure three times in VCDS, the check boxes were always set back to the original settings, so I assumed it was blocked at some level deeper than VCDS can access, and activating the rain sensor was a no-go.
Imagine my surprise yesterday, as we drove home in rain, when I turned on the intermittent wipers and the rain-sensing system started working. It's not quite what I expected. Evidently if the rain is light enough, the intermittent wipers just keep going on whatever the setting is on the stalk. Then, as the rain / speed (and perhaps some combination of those, I'm not sure) increases, the wipers move to a "Speed1" setting identical to the first wiper setting beyond intermittent (the second detent up). Then, when the rain gets really hard (I had the cruise set to 65) it jumped up to "Speed 2," as far as I could tell, identical to the highest (uppermost) speed setting on the wiper stalk.
As the rain abated, the speed would slow down. At one point, we were out of the rain band altogether, and it stopped, even though the stalk was still on the "intermittent" setting.
So— I've got rain sensing wipers of some kind....whether it was what was intended is questionable, as there are all kinds of stories about how this "feature" behaves.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Different from my '13. On ours, if no rain, you can leave them on all the time, and other than an occasional shadow induced swipe, they sit still. Oh, and I had zero issues with the procedure posted here . . . set rain auto close for windows as well, and that also works well.

- Tim

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
My question is, in quite a few situations including using the VagCom cable it says to turn on the key but do not start the engine.
What do you do when you have the KESSY system in the car?

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
My question is, in quite a few situations including using the VagCom cable it says to turn on the key but do not start the engine.
What do you do when you have the KESSY system in the car?
Push the start button without your foot on the brake. This puts the car in run mode without starting the engine.

Trade Wind

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 2012 Passat SE 6 spd MT
Anyone know if volume of turn signal clicking be increased? Mine seems pretty quiet, or maybe I am getting a little hard of hearing...

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Golf SEL Sportwagen, 2005 Jetta TDI, John Deere 355D
Has anyone been able to make "celebration" mode for the gauges work on a 15? I had them on my 13, but when trying to add to my 15 today it said "not available".

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
Has anyone been able to make "celebration" mode for the gauges work on a 15? I had them on my 13, but when trying to add to my 15 today it said "not available".
Found the answer. I was trying to enable "staging" when I should have went further down to "celebration".

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
So I coded rain closing tonight. Windows and sunroof should close when the rain sensor detects rain. For quite a while I thought maybe I had too much beer because it wasn't working, then my brilliant girlfriend mentioned that maybe the sunroof has to actually be opened and not just tilted up (whatever that position is called). Low and behold it works perfect if the sunroof is slid back, but not at all if it is tilted up. Pretty dissapointed as the sunshade in my 13 was discolored by hard sideways rain a few years ago. I park in an industrial area at work and would much rather lift the sunroof to keep the interior from being dantes inferno than have the roof slid back, especially since the first setting back is quite a large opening.

jaberoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL silver
I still have my Micro-Can connection I used on my now-departed 2010 Sportwagen. Pardon my ignorance. but the Ross-Tech site does not mention the latest Passat family. How do you use VCDS on a 2016 Passat?

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Plug it in? If you have a current version, I would expect MicroCAN to work fine on your 2016 . . .

rollcoal

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
I decided to keep the TDI and in the spirit of "TREAT YO SELF!", I picked up a VCDS cable. I'm making tweaks and primed a new fuel filter and it's been worth every penny.

There's one annoyance I am trying to remedy with VCDS. When I shut off the engine and then decide to close the windows, I must wait until all windows go up before opening the door. I must press the Keyless Start button to continue closing the windows. Can this be fixed or should I be patient while the windows go up?

Fav40

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL (BB 2/17/17) 2017 Passat V6 SEL Premium
Be patient or you can use the keyfob and hold lock while walking away, but watch to make sure everything closes.