A/C Compressor Refrigerant Control Valve

Thor74

TDI
2010 Jetta, 2011 JSW
Quick updated to post 209, RCV replacement on 7/12/16. Still working very well, no issues whatsoever. JSW 2011 70k miles, and replaced using Polar Bear EX019.

I learned a lot from this thread, thanks to all of you who have contributed your posts!
Quick update from July RCV replacement. RC Valve continues to function normally contolling the A/C and that was a big relief during the hot weather in the Northeast US last few months.

Best A/C fix ever. :) Thanks again!!

zap11

TDI
Without RCV, no cold air.
Even if the bolt thing would work (which it won't) you would still have to recharge the system.
Just spend the extra $50 or so, and throw in a new RCV. If you're so worried about the money, put the old one back in when you go to turn it in, then sell the new one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
^^^To sum up what Mike so wisely posted...DON'T DO IT!...seriously...bad idea...
You could find out.

(again, the cost of a replacement valve is not that high.)

best plan would be to replace the valve and see if it fixes the problem.

(assuming your issue is with the valve sticking)

but if you have your heart set on trying something new,

if you take the RCV out (after first recovering the R134a), and remove the center post, manage to re-install the valve properly, vacuum and refill the 134a, the system should operate at maximum displacement.

the car may be a bit harder to start.

this would likely cool the car, but only for a short while. before too long the evaporator will ice up, and no air will flow.

the system on these cars relies on control of the displacement to control pressures

sooner or later, the compressor will increase pressure in the system until something breaks, and then nothing will work at all.

exploding hoses are not funny.

other case is that the low pressure side flow is reduced to vacuum. this is bad because vacuum means no R134a coming in, and no oil coming with it. Lack of oil is not good. compressor can lock up.

The compressor design in these cars always has the shaft rotate.

unless the compressor locks up, then there is a mechanical disconnect (like a fuse) that is designed to break, allowing the pulley to continue to rotate so that the generator works, and the belt is not destroyed. (which could clog up the timing belt and kill your engine.)

how long it would take to break something will depend on how you drive. my guess is you would not get a week out of it.

Tks for all your kind replies. My intention is to try to clean the plunger/spring and so I went ahead & asked my mech to remove the RCV and it looked like this:

Is it possible to remove this end cover and reached the plunger/spring? I tried to knock it out but couldn't.

Last edited:

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
does not seem possible to do so. (sure, you could pull it apart, but would not be able to put it back together so that it would work)

some parts are just made to be replaced.

since you are having a mechanic do the work, you are already paying for more than the part costs.

do not drive the car with the RCV out if you ever want the AC to work again without massive expense.

EdVinDiesel

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Snap Ring, Bolt or ???

Hi - After reading this entire thread, all indications are that I have the RCV issue. I was excited about the potential of a reasonably priced fix for my tepid/cool AC issue, so I went outside to try to get a decent picture of my compressor and RCV. well, I could not get a shot of the compressor label, but I did get a couple shots of the RCV, and I am confused - I can't tell what kind it is - I don't see the snap clip, I don't see a bolt - Any ideas? What kind is this:

Thanks!
Ed

Last edited:

tooreal

TDI
2006 VW Jetta 1.9 TDI, 5-speed Manual, package 1, DOM 10/06. Tinted windows, Rear Spoiler, Reflex Silver
That looks like a Bolt to me too...

Keith63

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI Premium; 1974 Karmin Ghia; 1973 Super Beetle
After two years of intermittent ac on my 2012 Jetta TDI and only reaching a cool 60 degrees regardless of outside temp, I purchased the RCV and did the repair myself. Now I have ice cold 35-40 degree ac. Rented gauges and pump from Autozone, bought two cans 0f 134a and I was done in four hours that's with a two our vacuum on the system to ensure no leaks. Total cost $83.88, that with a $10.00 finders fee to my granddaughter who found the snap-ring I lost.

kingbri1

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Hello. I've been reading through the threads and really getting good information. My particular problem has me with no cool air at all, all warm. when I look at the compressor, the center never spins at all. Additionally, there is a lot of "gunk" surrounding the center area. I haven't read anything relating a non spinning center with the RCV valve problem. Are these related? 2006 jetta tai

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
That is a sign of a broken "clutch hub", the flimsy metal arms that transfer power from the outside edge of the pulley to the center shaft of the compressor.

It is designed to break away whenever your compressor locks up due to some issue. Sometimes they just fail due to vibration. You cannot tell unless you examine the internals of the compressor.

Most of the time, I would suggest getting another compressor. Inspect the old one and the connections to ensure no metal flakes or particles are in the oil, and the oil is clear, not dark brown or black. If the oil inspection is good, simply replace either the "clutch hub" or the compressor. If the oil is bad, you need to flush the system, at a minimum, as well.

brich036

TDI
2010 jetta
Hi all,

Need a few small clarifications before I go ahead with an RCV replacement.

I'm confused which valve I need. 2010 Jetta TDI, my compressor says PXE14, and model 1701P. What is the 'P'? I know I need the snap style (not bolt on style) from looking at it, and the popular choice as per this thread seems to be the EX019 from polarbearinc.

But, their site also lists EX030 for the PXE14 1701, but no mention of 1701P in anything I've seen. The dimensions of the EX030 and EX019 are slightly different as per https://www.polarbearinc.com/rcv_gallery/rcv_dimensional_chart.html

Moreover, looking on amazon.ca from the looks of it valves that come up seem to look longer, similar to the EX030 and less like the EX019.

Will either work, or do I need specifically one of these and not the other?

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Not a lot of help but the letter at the end (p in this case) usually indicates a new generation of part. May not be any substantial changes but just enough that they need to mark it.

brich036

TDI
2010 jetta
Thanks, kjclow.

I also just got off the phone with a very helpful rep at polar bear inc who immediately knew the way to tell what I needed. The EX030 has a square post, EX019 has a round post. Now, time to get shoulder deep in my hood and feel around.

gassprint1

TDI
2006 jetta
i changed the valve on my compressor today and the ac still doesn't work. fans don't kick on either. my buddys shop had a snapon scanner that does alot. we ran a test on the fans and the main fan kicked on with the test. small one didn't. low pressure was high and high pressure was low. there is power at the valve on the compresser, fan module too. any ideas.

gassprint1

TDI
2006 jetta
yea read all the. mine don't kick on when supposed to and even when doing 70mph down the road, still no ac.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
i changed the valve on my compressor today and the ac still doesn't work. fans don't kick on either. my buddys shop had a snapon scanner that does alot. we ran a test on the fans and the main fan kicked on with the test. small one didn't. low pressure was high and high pressure was low. there is power at the valve on the compresser, fan module too. any ideas.
I would use a VCDS to check the codes and information on the compressor.

This thread may help, it IS for Mk V and later cars.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=253641&highlight=compressor+shut

gassprint1

TDI
2006 jetta
You might be able to find one locally to borrow.
Search for VCDS share or VAG-COM share database on line.
Checked into that with no luck. Trying to order one today. Money is very very tight so guna have to do one thing an be behijd on another. Does get annoying being told the same thing all the time on Facebook. Hell even had someone tell me they only let their friends use the vcds

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
I have loaned mine out to strangers, locally, and mailed it to others, but usually I have known them (even just on the site) for a while.
There is a learning curve for using VCDS, as well.

But with Dodge, Chevy, and Toyota, no comparable tool is available at all in the less than $500 range (at least that has been my experience.)

gassprint1

TDI
2006 jetta
Just ordered one from idparts. 5%off doesn't work with rosstech. idparts said they can't sell it for less than what rosstech say is why no 5%off. but i did get the $4.95 3 day shipping which makes up for it... i got alot to learn when i get it. lots of what does this code mean type things....also just stumbed across someone on my facebook group that is from michigan and comes down where i am on weekends...things are kinda working out......

gassprint1

TDI
2006 jetta
we'll see if i get everything fixed now, if i get another 80k out of it without something else going wrong.

Lat

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35d, 2006 Jetta TDI
Can somebody kindly confirm if this is the snap ring version for the Sanden?

Thanks!

Dgravle514

TDI
14' JSW
Looks like snap ring to me. No bolt found to hold it in. I can barely see the snap ring groove. I don't think it should have oil around it like that. It looks like it may be leaking around the seal of the valve. I replaced my valve about a month ago and it only temporarily fixed my ac. Before I replaced the valve the AC did not work at all. Right after I I replaced the valve the ac worked great all of the time. I am about a month and a half in since the new valve and it takes a wile for it to start cooling. I don't know what I should look to next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: