Dmf?

dieselbill

TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6 speed sedan Titanium Beige and 06 Jetta Sedan TDI 5 speed Wheat Beige
At idle my 06' BRM TDI 5-speed makes a rattling sound like an exhaust pipe is hitting the body. Cannot yet locate the exact source of this noise. Just replaced timing belt, water pump, serpentine tensioner and ALL related components, nuts and bolts. Motor mount, transmission mount, and "Dog Bone" mount also checked at rest and with engine running. Vehicle runs GREAT having done a recent trip and consuming only 1.71 US gals for 97.3 miles. Clutch has ALWAYS been a challenge to use (shuddering, lack of smooth engagement), but that has not changed. Bought car new from the late Chris in Langehorn,PA. Anyone care to share their thoughts on this issue?

N.CaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
You can test the play in the DMF on a manual by having the car in gear and moving a wheel. Look around here for amount of play that is ok. I have an automatic tranny and tested mine by taking off the starter motor to access the DMF. I had over an 1 inch of play and I think the spec is something like 1/4". Had it replace and it was clearly bad when I took it out. Good luck

dieselbill

TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6 speed sedan Titanium Beige and 06 Jetta Sedan TDI 5 speed Wheat Beige
Thank you for your replies! Alternator pulley was replaced along with new tensioner and Gates "Green" belt, resulting in significant loss of noise and excessive movement. I think I have another big job to do. Considering going with a new LUK DMF flywheel and kit, replacing anything that is questionable or TTY. Thank you again Oilhammer and N.CaTDI.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Well, if you need any words of encouragement, the BRM cars' gearbox is one of the easiest transverse FWD car ever to take out.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Don't go with another DMF. You will be replacing garbage with garbage. Go with a Quit clutch SMF. It just amazes me that VW would put an engineering fail such as a DMF in an otherwise fantastic car.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Well, if you need any words of encouragement, the BRM cars' gearbox is one of the easiest transverse FWD car ever to take out.
Amen to that. You don't have to drop the cross member or even completely remove the drive axles or flanges. The trick with an A5 is to tie the transaxle end of the axles up and aft, and once the transaxle is free, rotate it 90 degrees before you lower it.

dieselbill

TDI
Dmf!

Thank you for your suggestions and encouragement Oilhammer and Ol'Rattler! Getting old (beats the alternative) and not looking forward to this next adventure. At least I'm retired (in that I don't have an obligation to anyone but "The Bride") and won't need the vehicle to get to work. We love the clutch in our 2015' Passat and are hoping to achieve similar results with this replacement.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
If you want quiet (not quit) with smooth engagement, go with this:

http://www.kermatdi.com/sachs-quiet-clutch-with-flywheel/

If you are working from jack stands, get one of these. It makes R&R almost a one man job. You will need someone to steady the T/A from the top. Oh, and ditch the strap and strap ratchet. They just get in the way.

http://www.harborfreight.com/450-lb-low-lift-transmission-jack-61232.html

And Destructions:

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/manual-transaxle-removal-mk5-vw-jetta-tdi/

I retired last December and it's just starting to sink in that I can pretty much do what I want. Kind of a strainge feeling but I think I can get used to it.

dieselbill

TDI
Dmf!

Thank again Ol'Rattler! Will check ALL your recommendations!

lmoretti

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5sp Manual
I'll second going with the Sachs Quiet Clutch. Had JasonTDI put one in my '06 when the DMF was failing. It's super smooth and I really couldn't tell the difference between it and the old DMF.

dieselbill

TDI
Dmf!

Thank you Imoretti for your comment! I will use the Sachs Quiet Clutch.

Rig

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI, 210k miles
DMF replacement options for DSG

What are the best replacements for the dual mass flywheel on a 2006 Jetta tdi with a DSG transmission?

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
That ship has not sailed yet. AFAIK, the only replacement for an OEM DSG DMF is an OEM DSG DMF. There are no SMF conversions available for the DSG.

Rig

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI, 210k miles
Do you know whether a LuK will work in all the 06 Jettas TDI with DSG? What is the right model number?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Luk is who made the original DMF for the 02E DSG, and the only one that makes a replacement. I have not ever seen any other brand, and I do A LOT of these.

firehawk618

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI, 2dr, M6, Stock
For those reading this thread regarding DMF and crappy clutch engagement / noise / vibration.

Spend the extra $35-40 and get the clutch fork also.

I just replaced my clutch. It went really smooth. Fixed all my vibration / shuddering / engagement issues BUT with the new clutch in suddenly my pedal wouldn't go all the way to the floor any more. It was stopping 2" from the floor which prevented starter engagement due to the safety switch.

Pulled trans again, replaced the fork. All is good.

When comparing the two forks the deformation of the old fork was not noticeable until a new one was next to it. We're talking 1/4" max.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
A DSG does not have a clutch fork. For the folks that have a manual, VG advice.