RNS510 Firmware & Maps Info Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Golf SEL Sportwagen, 2005 Jetta TDI, John Deere 355D
You've the last firmware, but not the maps!
The last maps version available is the 8407
you can always patch the unit with the VIM to allow the videos playing...
Best regards
No interest in VIM, but where is the latest source for maps?

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
No interest in VIM, but where is the latest source for maps?
Do a search on eBay for "RNS-510 maps."

We've got the latest firmware our RNS-510 version will take, and we quit updating maps a long time ago. We use a combination of Google Maps and Waze, which is far superior to anything Continental has ever dreamed of putting in that head unit.

bobt2382

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2010 CW GOLF 4DR 6MT TDI
I can add that I've paid for at least 3 map updates over the years and they are definitely are not worth the money. I have local streets that have been in place for at least 10 years and they still don't appear on map overlays.

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
I guess when I asked where they could be found, I really meant downloaded. I'm sure the copies on eBay are burned. Back in 2014 or so the links were everywhere. I think V11 is the latest.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
I guess when I asked where they could be found, I really meant downloaded. I'm sure the copies on eBay are burned. Back in 2014 or so the links were everywhere. I think V11 is the latest.
Those that were offering the maps got hit with cease and desist from VW legal, so all the old sources have dried up. The guy on eBay is supposedly a Continental dealer and legit, or you can buy the update from VW.

- Tim

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
Been out of the game for a while, but bought a "new" Passat today. I'm sure I need maps, but wondering if I need firmware as well. Stats are.....

HW H27
SW 5382
Map version 8213
Ask the dealership to update the maps on your "new" car. That should be one of the things they're updating since it's being sold as new.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
As per post #1, FW is current. Based on what VW is now offering, maps are 2 versions behind (and same thing in the 2015 we just bought) . . . Looks as if they didn't consider doing it . . . Going to ask myself, and if not, will probably drop the $100 myself, since I now have 2 units that need updating.

Last edited:

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
As per post #1, FW is current. Based on what VW is now offering, maps are 2 versions behind (and same thing in the 2015 we just bought . . . Looks as if they didn't consider doing it . . . Going to ask myself, and if not, will probably drop the $100 myself, since I now have 2 units that need updating.
Buy the DVD, load the maps, then sell it. There should be a new DVD coming out soon though.

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
I've sourced V11 (8407) and will load it tomorrow. Long shot question, but we also bought a 15 GSW that has the MIB infotainment system. Will this map disc work in that as well?

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
If it's the RNS-510, it will work. If a lower model, then no. Asked the service mgr. at our dealer today about the 2015 upgrade, and he said 'very good question', and fired a query to VW . . . Seems like nobody has thought about it before now . . . More info when I get it . . .

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
If it's the RNS-510, it will work. If a lower model, then no. Asked the service mgr. at our dealer today about the 2015 upgrade, and he said 'very good question', and fired a query to VW . . . Seems like nobody has thought about it before now . . . More info when I get it . . .
It's the newer replacement for the RNS. I'll ask tomorrow though,

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
I was chatting with my dealer svc mgr. today about whether the 2015 refit should have includedthe aps, and he noted that the newer units no longer use a disk, so I suspect not. Sad, because they all use the same base data from Navtec, it's just arranged and packaged differently model to model . . .

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
@LokiWolf I'm not sure anyone cares any longer, but I noted that the RNS510 in our 2013 (replaced latter 2016 under warranty) has a SW version not mentioned here. The unit is definitely an "H" model, but it claims to be running version 4376 . . . So, new firmware from repair stock, but, alas, ancient maps (which is why I was into it . . . ). Gotta wonder what this cut brings to the table . . . Looks the same as prior, and seems to run quite well.

- Tim

Devious

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI (White)
Lol. I'm in the same boat. My "new" 2015 with outdated maps!

If anyone has a link pm my way. Thanks

rhpot1991

TDI
2012 Passat
Same here with my new 2015, firmware is a step out of date and maps are from 2014. Dealer was supposed to update the maps or send me a DVD, guess I need to check in with them again.

HW-Version: H27
SW-Version: 5378
Map Version: 8213

I'm pretty sure LokiWolf stopped sending out any information when he received some lawyer paperwork in the mail.

rhpot1991

TDI
2012 Passat
Does anyone know the name of the 5382 firmware ISO that LokiWolf was sharing? It looks like that firmware number crosses over with the European one so it is pretty tough to search for.

IndyTom12

TDI
2015 VW Passat Tdi
You can buy the firmware from the VW Liturature website for $25 I think.
Firmware updates for the unit you own should always be FREE. Yet, there are guys on E-Bay charging $70 dollars for it which is ridiculous! I don't know why they make it so difficult to find the proper firmware for your RNS 510 units. I just bought a brand new (2015 Passat TDI SEL) which had 2013 maps on it. I asked they dealer to update the maps and all they did is give me a link to buy them for $99 bucks. I complained to VW of America and they did send me a Gift card in order for me to buy updated maps. I figured the new maps (which are from May 2016, no new maps yet for 2017) would have the 5382 Firmware included but they did not. Which I guess makes sense since the Maps are backward compatible with the RNS 510 units but the Firmware isn't. I was just hoping that the new Firmware would have some Bug fixes. Whenever I try and make a call it never goes through and says that number can't be assigned and to choose manually. Never had that problem in my 2013 Jetta. Not impressed with the RNS 510. Slowest and worst Navigation system I have ever owned in any car. My 2010 Nissan Altima had a superior and flawlessly working Nav System that doesn't take 10 minutes to program ones destination. Honestly, I don't even use the VW's Nav system since my Google Maps on my Cell phone is much superior to this laggy and most difficult RNS 510 unit. Still I wouldn't mind trying firmware 5382 (presently have 5378 on my unit) but not for 70 or even 25 dollars.

Last edited:

IndyTom12

TDI
2015 VW Passat Tdi
Does anyone know the name of the 5382 firmware ISO that LokiWolf was sharing? It looks like that firmware number crosses over with the European one so it is pretty tough to search for.
Did you ever find a link to the 5382 Firmware? I hope to fix the phone bug on my RNS 510 unit. Not sure if it will or not but it's worth a shot.

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
Firmware updates for the unit you own should always be FREE. Yet, there are guys on E-Bay charging $70 dollars for it which is ridiculous! I don't know why they make it so difficult to find the proper firmware for your RNS 510 units. I just bought a brand new (2015 Passat TDI SEL) which had 2013 maps on it. I asked they dealer to update the maps and all they did is give me a link to buy them for $99 bucks. I complained to VW of America and they did send me a Gift card in order for me to buy updated maps. I figured the new maps (which are from May 2016, no new maps yet for 2017) would have the 5382 Firmware included but they did not. Which I guess makes sense since the Maps are backward compatible with the RNS 510 units but the Firmware isn't. I was just hoping that the new Firmware would have some Bug fixes. Whenever I try and make a call it never goes through and says that number can't be assigned and to choose manually. Never had that problem in my 2013 Jetta. Not impressed with the RNS 510. Slowest and worst Navigation system I have ever owned in any car. My 2010 Nissan Altima had a superior and flawlessly working Nav System that doesn't take 10 minutes to program ones destination. Honestly, I don't even use the VW's Nav system since my Google Maps on my Cell phone is much superior to this laggy and most difficult RNS 510 unit. Still I wouldn't mind trying firmware 5382 (presently have 5378 on my unit) but not for 70 or even 25 dollars.
I'm sort of in the same boat. I do, however, have the 5382 already installed with the 2013 maps. I contacted VW and they are sending a generous gift card to cover a map update and a 'sorry about that' consideration. I found the maps on the net (not ebay or amazon) for $71.99.
Once again, VW has impressed me with their customer service.

IndyTom12

TDI
2015 VW Passat Tdi
I am just wondering if it would be worth it to upgrade from Firmware 5378 to 5382. Do you have any issues making phone calls? I have two different cell phones paired with the RNS510 and neither one puts a call through when I asked to call such and such on mobile, home, work, etc. It always tells me that the number can't be assigned and to choose manually. It then brings up a list of numbers for that person and I need to use the up and down buttons to assign the number I wish to call. I never had to do this on my 2013 Jetta which had the basic touch screen Radio. I wonder if the Firmware update would fix this issue. That is the only reason I would even consider upgrading the firmware. I rarely use the NAV but I did upgrade the maps to the May 2016 V11 since I did find a deal on Amazon for 30 bucks.

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
No issues with phones. I have an LGG4 and my wife has a Nokia Ikon (windows based). In fact, conversations over the hands free mic are much clearer than on the 13. The biggest difference I've experienced is with the back up camera. If I start the car, buckle my seat belt and back up the camera is up and running before I can back all the way out of the garage.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Up until a year ago you were able to search for and find the newest firmware 5382 and M11 maps by diligent searching for about $ 40.00.
VW has thrown a monkey wrench into that and stopped it all.

Those days are gone and the only seller I see is on eBay and his prices are not cheap. I think it is an authorized VW reseller "Continental".

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
<snip>
VW has thrown a monkey wrench into that and stopped it all.
Those days are gone and the only seller I see is on eBay and his prices are not cheap. I think it is an authorized VW reseller "Continental".
When I saw this particular handwriting on the wall, I quit doing anything with the nav function of the RNS-510. Sort of like when we cut the cord and dropped Dish Network. Now we just use the unit to make phone calls and listen to music stored on the hard drive. For nav, it's Google Maps and Waze all the way.

mirage2521

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta, 2013 JSW, 2015 PASSAT SEL
I remember doing the last update that applied to my 2013 Passat w/RNS510. It's didn't change a thing. BUC still is slow to respond. Nav isn't always on top of things (start up car, turn on radio, no backup cam .. oh well.. nothing new there.. start backing down the drive.. still no came and no radio .. start down the street.. oh look there's the street in the backup cam but too late, I'm no longer in reverse.. Radio starts up stops and says it's updating, songs start playing about 3 or 4 minutes later). It's very annoying and I've been b1tching about since day one. :cool:

You just described exactly what my brand new week old 2015 Passat did this morning. Exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.