2015 Passat - Went with Approved Emissions Modification

SoTxBill

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 passatdsg 10 jetdsg, 09 jetdsg, 2006 jetdsg, 2001Jet, 96passat, 86jet, 81 jet, 78pickup all vw diesel.
I wonder if they messed-up the reprogram on your car F14? The paperwork says that DSG cars will shift up sooner in S-mode after the modification. This makes me think that the car will in fact need to down shift more often. They said in the ppwk that the earlier up shifts would make the car a more comfortable drive or less busy or something like that. Sounds a little baloney to me. If you want a less busy drive you would shift to D, right? Anyway good luck

Funny you say that, as that is my impression too.. the car seems to up-shift quicker that before in the normal mode. Other than that, and a slight increase in mpgs, due to the guicker upshifting, all is good.

dieselbill

TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6 speed sedan Titanium Beige and 06 Jetta Sedan TDI 5 speed Wheat Beige
Phase 1 Update

Made first trip of any real distance (1200 miles) and have the following observations. Power is about the same, fuel consumption is down to 49.8 mpg (used to be well over 50), and DEF consumption is somewhat greater. We almost always travel at or near GVWR with all the tools and food we like to take with us. Giving some thought to a tune as this vehicle is capable of better mileage and power. Otherwise continue to LOVE this vehicle.

mypassat2013

TDI
2013 Passat TDI
I am still waiting for my 2013 Passat emissions modification to be approved =(
I don't understand why it is taking so long. 9/1/17:confused:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Made first trip of any real distance (1200 miles) and have the following observations. Power is about the same, fuel consumption is down to 49.8 mpg (used to be well over 50), and DEF consumption is somewhat greater. We almost always travel at or near GVWR with all the tools and food we like to take with us. Giving some thought to a tune as this vehicle is capable of better mileage and power. Otherwise continue to LOVE this vehicle.

We just did another 600 mile weekend in Maine, enjoyed the our '15 with stage 2 tune.

Was getting around 48-51MPG on the MFI, still had ~300 miles and 1/3 of the tank when we arrived back home, should crack 800 miles. Haven't had DEF light come on year, but still on dealer fill at about 6K on the clock.

Not sure a tune will get you better MPG unless DPF is removed, but the power and response were worth the tune.

dieselbill

TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6 speed sedan Titanium Beige and 06 Jetta Sedan TDI 5 speed Wheat Beige
Update

Recent trip to Vermont and back resulted in 53.7 mpgs. However, not as loaded with gear as on most trips. FWIW I keep our DEF full. Have the Kruze bottle and top off the tank after every fuel up. We LOVE this car! Next big trip is to Georgia for Thanksgiving.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
We just did another 600 mile weekend in Maine, enjoyed the our '15 with stage 2 tune.
Are you talking about Malone ? Stage 2 ?
Best of my knowledge VW is only doing the PHASE 1 right now, Phase 2 in 2018.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Malone stage 2, on top of the phase 1 VW fix, yes, I'll update my signature.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Malone stage 2, on top of the phase 1 VW fix, yes, I'll update my signature.
Thanks for the clarification. But having said that, are you not concerned that when you take the car in next years Phase 2 for the extensive exhaust system work you may run into a problem with VW ?

That's why I am hanging back before I do Malone stage 2 and the DSG update.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'll flash back to stock, fingers crossed.

From what I've read, we won't get any new emissions hardware, as we'll be under the mileage, so the second phase for us is just is additional software and maybe a new O2 sensor from what I've read.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'll flash back to stock, fingers crossed.

From what I've read, we won't get any new emissions hardware, as we'll be under the mileage, so the second phase for us is just is additional software and maybe a new O2 sensor from what I've read.
I was informed by VW that the Phase 2 involves extensive work taking as long as 9 hours and a loaner vehicle will be provided. Can't see if that is done in Canada it won't be in the USA.

You do realize that even flashing back to original they can tell that the ECU has been (tampered) accessed?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
"Emissions Modification Phase 2 :
(available beginning in early 2018 )
The second part of the emissions modification will involve outfitting your
car with new emission control parts to ensure system reliability and
durability over time. If your car exceeds 40,000 miles (for automatic
transmissions) or 70,000 miles (for manual transmissions) we will install
updated emissions control system hardware - specifically a new Diesel
Particulate Filter, Diesel Oxidation Catalyst, and Selective Catalytic
Reduction Converter - that is needed to maintain emissions
performance for the full useful life (150,000 miles) of your vehicle. As
part of the Phase 2 modification, we will also install a second NOx
sensor and corresponding software to improve the performance of the
OBD system. The Phase 2 updates are expected to have no further
impact on overall vehicle reliability, durability, fuel economy, engine
sound, performance, or drivability.

You will receive a notice when Phase 2 of the emissions modification is
available for your vehicle. You should expect to receive this notice
before June 30, 2019. If your vehicle has accumulated fewer than
40,000 miles (for automatic transmissions) or 70,000 miles (for
manual transmissions) at the time of your Phase 2 update, your car will
need to have the Diesel Oxidation Catalyst replaced a second time,
before it reaches 150,000 miles.
We will notify you when it is time to
bring your car in for the second catalyst replacement."

We'll have approx 15K on the clock, which from what I'm reading means just another software update and maybe a second NoX sensor, not all new hardware. Now we will need new hardware once they fail later on at 100K or what ever but it'll be covered (fingers crossed) under warranty.

From what I've read, the flash counter will be incremented but once it back to stock tune, all parameters will be stock. Only those pesky dealers that track flashes would notice the counter.

tc1uscg

Veteran Member
TDI
SOLD TO VW
Wow. Thats a lot of "mods". When we got our Passat (new) in 2013, it was for our youngest kid for when he went off to college, it would a good fit for him (assumed he would be going to Chicago but ended up going to Baltimore instead). So, instead of 5 hours away, he's 10 LOL. But we ended up keeping the car at home. the 28th, we have our appointment to turn it in. Buy out is 27k. I can see (from all the changes and future changes), we made the right decisions. Our dealer has been OUTSTANDING from day one but I can't put my kid in a car that is going to be a money pit and has more recalls then my 2002 Jeep Liberty. So, guess it's clear after the 28th, I'm done with VW. Good luck to those who are sticking it out. Guess we won't know what kind of issues to expect till a couple years have passed. Going to miss that 50+ mpg but thats about it. Not going to miss the worthless nav system, worthless backup cam, freezing doors in winter or the possibility of the turbo blowing going 80mph down the highway LOL.

I do have a set of Michelin X-Ice Xi3 tires for 18inch rims I need to get rid of. If you live in the Detroit area, PM me if interested.

senez

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat DSG
"Emissions Modification Phase 2 :
(available beginning in early 2018 )
The second part of the emissions modification will involve outfitting your
car with new emission control parts to ensure system reliability and
durability over time. If your car exceeds 40,000 miles (for automatic
Reduction Converter - that is needed to maintain emissions
performance for the full useful life (150,000 miles) of your vehicle. As
part of the Phase 2 modification, we will also install a second NOx
sensor and corresponding software to improve the performance of the
OBD system. The Phase 2 updates are expected to have no further
impact on overall vehicle reliability, durability, fuel economy, engine
sound, performance, or drivability.

You will receive a notice when Phase 2 of the emissions modification is
available for your vehicle. You should expect to receive this notice
before June 30, 2019. If your vehicle has accumulated fewer than
40,000 miles (for automatic transmissions) or 70,000 miles (for
manual transmissions) at the time of your Phase 2 update, your car will
need to have the Diesel Oxidation Catalyst replaced a second time,
before it reaches 150,000 miles.
We will notify you when it is time to
bring your car in for the second catalyst replacement."

We'll have approx 15K on the clock, which from what I'm reading means just another software update and maybe a second NoX sensor, not all new hardware. Now we will need new hardware once they fail later on at 100K or what ever but it'll be covered (fingers crossed) under warranty.

From what I've read, the flash counter will be incremented but once it back to stock tune, all parameters will be stock. Only those pesky dealers that track flashes would notice the counter.
I think you're reading that incorrectly. You'll get all the hardware of the Phase 2 fix, but because you have so few miles, you'll have to get the oxidation catalyst replaced *again* later on.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think you're reading that incorrectly. You'll get all the hardware of the Phase 2 fix, but because you have so few miles, you'll have to get the oxidation catalyst replaced *again* later on.

Quite possibly, but I just have to think why have the statement that you get all new hardware if you're over 40K? Wouldn't they just leave that mileage statement out of it if everyone is getting new hardware?

"If your car exceeds 40,000 miles (for automatic
Reduction Converter."

Time will tell!