TURBO: Please report NMS turbo failures here. [not a discussion thread!]

xxcsu

TDI
2006 TDI Jetta Package 2 ; 2013 Passat Tdi SEL ; 2012 Golf TDI
Miles on car at failure: 34000
Build date: Not sure , 2013 model
Corrective actions from dealership: Nothing at all , car was totaled by insurance company , lost all the warranty
Outside air temps at failure: 68F / 20C
Failure warning signs, if any: After i got the 23N5 software update my car started to act strange , strange noise from turbo , check engine light , Fault code mostly : P0299 - Control Range Not reached
Warning lights on dash/MFI: Check engine , Flashing glow plug light
Problems since replacement: Replacement under processs :)
Repair time: will tell when its done
Did the dealership perform all maintenance and on schedule: YES
Are you the original owner of the car: 2nd owner, got it from insurance company , car was totaled
Did you baby your car or not: YES
Do you interrupt DPF regenerations: 3-4 times
How long is your daily commute: 40 miles
Transmission (DSG/auto or manual): DSG
Failed turbo part number (if known): Dont know yet , just happened a couple of hours ago :(
Replacement turbo part number (if known): i hope its will be a cr190 upgrade :)
Did you have the Jan 2015 23N5 software update: YES , all the mess started right after the dealership upgraded the software ! few days later i took back the car to dealer (Tom Bush in Jacksonville FL), told them the the VAG error code P0299 , and the strange noise coming from the turbo. They checked the car and told me everything ok , turbo is perfect .
Few day after this i called them , and told them the car sometimes going to limp mode , but when i restart the engine is running fine again. Asked them about taking back the car to them , and replace the turbo , the guy told me , sorry my car was totaled , and there is no existing warranty on the car !
They done the 30k miles service for free , upgraded the software on my car for free . Now my turbo died , no more warranty , no free service :)
After i left the dealership last time , i was able to drive my car for another 2 months with the strange turbo noise, car went to limp mode a couple of times , but restarting the engine always fixed the limp mode .

pvdweide

TDI
Passat 2012, Golf 2013
2nd Turbo, now the ruber hose split due to oil saturation

Just replace my 2nd turbo after 100,000 KM, Software upgrade was done. They changed the oil before the turbo replacement and then brought it back in to change it again after the replacement due to VW recommendations.
A couple of weeks later I heard a different hissing noise (not same as turbo failure) Turn out the rubber hose split and caused the failure. Loss of power, both engine and glow plug lights. Dealer says the hose was saturated with oil causing it to split.
What else is going to fail due to the multiple turbo failures? Everything covered under warranty so far. Down time was 2 days each in all 3 cases.
Not impressed with this apparent lack of technical expertise from VW. JaJaJa...NoNoNo!!!

• Miles on car at failure: 9,900
  • Build date:7/11/12
  • Corrective actions from dealership:Replaced Turbo
  • Outside air temps at failure:15F
  • Failure warning signs, if any:Glow plug light flashing no power
  • Warning lights on dash/MFI:Glow plug light flashing
  • Problems since replacement:No haven't driven it much since been real cold here and she has been driving the f150 30 below f last night
  • Repair time:3 weeks
  • Any dealer divulged info on other incidents involving other failures: no
  • Did the dealership perform all maintenance and on schedule: Yes
  • If not dealership, what oil was used/miles on oil:I hope they used the right oil they never give me any detailed work orders
  • Are you the original owner of the car:Yes
  • Did you baby your car or not:Not really but didn't floor it either
  • Do you interrupt DPF regenerators:Could have interrupted them wife drove the car and didn't even know what a Regen was or noticed a Regen have a scan gauge now ready to install when it warms up then will have to train her how to monitor it and how to leave it idle till regen is finished and turbo has cooled down
  • How long is your daily commute:27 miles and some 4 mile trips
  • Transmission:DSG
I got Repair order finally a month later no charge for anything I will paste the comments

PARTS: 0.00 LABOR: 0.00 OTHER: 0.00 TOTAL LINE A: 0.00​

9926 793 TU TEST DROVE VEHICLE AND VERIFIED CUSTOMERS CONCERN.
PERFORMED GUIDED FAULT FINDINGS FOUND TURBO CHARGER UNDER BOOST FAULTS
STORED IN SYSTEM. PERFORMED RELATED TEST PLANS. FOUND VEHICLE NOT
BOOSTING. INSPECTED FOR VACUUM SUPPLY TO TURBO FOUND OK. CHECKED TURBO
BOOST SENSOR FOUND OK. INSPECTED INTAKE AND EXHAUST FOR RESTRICTIONS;
NONE FOUND. REMOVED CATALYTIC CONVERTER WITH PARTICULATE FILTER.
INSPECTED TURBO FOUND EXHAUST SIDE OF TURBO SEIZED. REMOVED TURBO
CHARGER ASSEMBLY. REPLACED TURBO CHARGER ASSEMBLY WITH NEW SEALS AND
GASKETS. INSPECTED OIL FEED AND SUPPLY LINES FOR RESTRICTIONS; NONE
FOUND. ASSEMBLED VEHICLE AND CLEARED FAULTS. TEST DROVE AGAIN TO VERIFY
REPAIR.
B CUSTOMER STATES GLO PLUG LIGHT IS FLASHING.
SS SEE LINE A
3 CV 0.00 0.00

PARTS: 0.00 LABOR: 0.00 OTHER: 0.00 TOTAL LINE

"
"Mbmaring: At 9900 miles, were you still on the original factory fill oil?" We had it in at 5000 for what I thought was a oil change no paperwrok to prove it.​

Dfc41889

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL
2014 Passat TDI SEL Turbo Failure - 22k miles

•Miles on car at failure: 21,755
•Build date:4/4/2014
•Corrective actions from dealership: Replaced Turbo, gaskets, reflash, check particulate filter and replace.
•Outside air temps at failure:20’s – 30’s
•Failure warning signs, if any: Turbo began making horrible whining sound on Sunday afternoon March 8, 2015. Called VW 3/9/15 and took to dealer 3/10/15 for emergency appointment prior to 3/12/15 first available appointment. No warning lights or indicators even after 3 days of driving with horrible noise.
•Warning lights on dash/MFI: No lights or indicators
•Problems since replacement: Now at 25,766 miles. Checked oil cap to change oil every 5k instead of 10k now that out of service contract and noticed particles around oil cap. Got magnet and found that many were magnetic. I have videos of the turbo whining before replacement and the magnetic particles identified last evening. Oil was not changed as part of turbo replacement nor were the high pressure lines to/from turbo. Prior oil change at 19,146 for 20k service. No particles around or in oil cap after that service. Turbo occasionally makes a distant whining noise upon startup but stops within a couple of seconds.
•Repair time: 3 days
•Any dealer divulged info on other incidents involving other failures: They claim this is the first they have seen. Car is Malone Stage 2 / DSG tuned and never had any issues. After reflash as part of recall, had tune immediately reinstalled within 2 days noting VW had changed the encryption on my ECU as part of the reflash from when the tune was originally installed. Tune was installed with 1,800 miles on car after new. No issues until turbo failure.
•Did the dealership perform all maintenance and on schedule: Yes (2 different dealers for maintenance. One did 10k and turbo, the other did the 20k).
•If not dealership, what oil was used/miles on oil: Oil was not changed. 5w40 was used for 20k service at VW dealer.
•Are you the original owner of the car: Yes
•Did you baby your car or not: Only when initially cold. I manually shift DSG to keep a higer RPM to avoid low end RPMs that could damage cold engine. Usually between 2-2.5 for shift points instead of the normal. Once car is at normal operating temperature, I run the car. I do not beat it but I certainly run it hard at times. That being said, I always perform turbo cool downs, warm the engine up appropriately etc… Owned diesels all my life and never had issues until this car.
•Do you interrupt DPF regenerators: Try not to as most times I can smell the regen and notice the higher RPMs and will continue driving. Have interrupted a couple that could not be avoided due to paying to park in a garage for work.
•How long is your daily commute: 110 miles (55 each way) from new until 19,000 miles. Then new job that is 3 miles from home so 6 miles. My brother and I alternate taking my car as his commute is 50 miles round trip. Car sees mix of my short trips and his longer trips as well as trips on the weekends/evenings.
•Transmission:DSG
•ALSO NOTE: Warranty was not extended per VW printout. 2014 model years apparently are not under this extension.

jsimpson

TDI
2013 passat SEL DSG
build date unknown
75 degrees
22000 miles
DSG
driven normally until day of failure when my visiting daughter floored it up the hill right out of the driveway.
VW full synthetic oil, about a month after oil change service at dealership
symptoms - sudden loud whine and loss of power. Glow plug light and check engine lights came on. Had driven about a mile and turned around and took it home. Called VW service and arranged a wrecker to pick it up. Dealer ordered turbo and said they have a full set of instructions on what and how to clean when turbo is replaced. Dealer will have had it for a week this coming Monday.

Last edited:

scpd92

TDI
01' Jetta RIP (flood), 13' Passat 6M
SECOND TURBO FAILURE AT 50,000 MILES, See first turbo failure at #149

• Miles on car at failure: Approx 50,000 miles
  • Build date: 10/2012
  • Corrective actions from dealership: Replaced turbo and oil lines.
  • Outside air temps at failure: 75 degrees farenheit
  • Failure warning signs, if any: Initially a "slide whistle" siren noise followed by loss of power.
  • Warning lights on dash/MFI: Flashing glow plug light during the latter stages of failure.
  • Problems since replacement: None so far, but then again this is turbo failure number 2 for this car.
  • Repair time: One week to get the part and one day to replace.
  • Any dealer divulged info on other incidents involving other failures: Yes, get rid of the car before 120K...can you say class action suit?
  • Did the dealership perform all maintenance and on schedule: Yes.
  • If not dealership, what oil was used/miles on oil:
  • Are you the original owner of the car: Yes
  • Did you baby your car or not: Not beat on, but I run the cruise control at 80 mph.
  • Do you interrupt DPF regenerations: Yes, and if it was important, they should put a damn idiot light on to alert you. This is an inherently defective product.
  • How long is your daily commute: 45 miles each way
  • Transmission (DSG/auto or manual): Manual
  • Failed turbo part number (if known):
  • Replacement turbo part number (if known):
    Did you have the Jan 2015 23N5 software update: Yes, after the 2nd turbo failed and was in for an oil change.

scottcane

TDI
Passat & Touareg
  • Miles on car at failure: 118,900
  • Build date: 11/11
  • Corrective actions from dealership: turbo replacement along with sensors
  • Outside air temps at failure: 75
  • Failure warning signs, if any: loss of power. Lights on dash
  • Warning lights on dash/MFI: yes (two)
  • Problems since replacement: at dealership now being replaced
  • Repair time: over 2 weeks right now. was told 1 more week.
  • Any dealer divulged info on other incidents involving other failures: none. will discuss on Monday with them.
  • Did the dealership perform all maintenance and on schedule:yes
  • Are you the original owner of the car: yes
  • Did you baby your car or not: drive average. Never abuse. Fair amount of highway driving.
  • Do you interrupt DPF regenerations:
  • How long is your daily commute: 20-25 minutes. Mix of city and highway
  • Transmission (DSG/auto or manual): DSG
    Did you have the Jan 2015 23N5 software update: not certain but do not believe so
I am curious what other repairs will be done besides replacement of the turbo? Does the DPF need to be replaced for instance? If not, does this lead to a potential 2nd turbo problem? Have the new replacement turbo's being installed been "upgraded"?

Last edited:

wdb

TDI
Passat
2014 Turbo Replaced

Miles on car at failure: 17690
Build date: 12/20/2013
Corrective actions from dealership: r/r turbo charger
Outside air temps at failure: 80F
Failure warning signs, if any: 2.5 qt oil consumption over 2000mi
Warning lights on dash/MFI: None
Problems since replacement: Just completed today. Works fine.
Repair time: 6d total (5d for parts incl w/e, 1d repair)
Any dealer divulged info on other incidents involving other failures: No
Did the dealership perform all maintenance and on schedule: Yes
If not dealership, what oil was used/miles on oil:
Are you the original owner of the car:Yes
Did you baby your car or not:Yes
Do you interrupt DPF regenerations: Not knowingly
How long is your daily commute: 10mi or 90mi (alternating weeks)
Transmission (DSG/auto or manual):M
Failed turbo part number (if known):
Replacement turbo part number (if known):
Did you have the Jan 2015 23N5 software update:Yes

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
All turned back to VW. Now a 2017 Hundai Tuscon. Not a single squalk in 10k miles.
Now two failures on two different cars. This time we were ahead of the curve and knew immediately before the ECU became aware. Dealer was clueless and wouldn't listen. Took a week to even look at the car... Until we got VoA Corporate involved. Once again... Customer Care is mostly a joke. Climb the ladder at VoA and things tend to change for the better. Always be polite, but state your case and insist that you as a customer be properly treated. Poor service from dealers if frowned upon and I suspect there's a potential price to be paid.

Miles on car at failure: 27000
Build date: Early 2013
Corrective actions from dealership: Turbo, Oil Pump, Intercooler, DPF, Oil Lines
Failure warning signs: None. Just no power.
Problems since replacement: Waiting for car to be returned.
Repair time: Two weeks and counting. (Not happy!)
Any dealer divulged info on other incidents involving other failures: No (Lucky to get them to admit this was a turbo failure.)
Did the dealership perform all maintenance and on schedule: No. We do all our own maintenance and it'd done properly.
Are you the original owner of the car: Yes (Belongs to my son.)
Did you baby your car or not: No
Do you interrupt DPF regenerations: Not knowingly
How long is your daily commute: 15 miles 30 round trip.
Transmission: MT
Failed turbo part number (if known): Unknown
Replacement turbo part number (if known): Unknown
Did you have the Jan 2015 23N5 software update: No

Last edited:

smalls4x4rr

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI GLS, 2012 Passat TDI SEL
Had my "turbo outlet pipe/air charge line" fail at 55,000 miles. Nice big crack in it. I thought it was the turbo so brought to dealer. Smith VW in Wilmington, DE got me for a $118 fee to diagnose. I replaced the hose and two clamps myself and back on the road. Now getting a P0401 code. Trying to clear it hoping that it will go away.

Jbdesigns

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6MT, 2012 Jetta TDI 6mt (sold)
Edit: I did not have a turbo failure. my flashing glow plug light was due to a very stuck exhaust flapper which was causing high exhaust back pressure, high boost pressure, high exhaust temperature. the flapper was replaced under the extended warranty and the car is now back in my possession. i posted all of the information about what the dealer found in the turbo discussion thread.

I have read most of these posts so far and as a high speed turbo-machinery engineer, designer, operator, troubleshooter, and builder, i believe i have a turbo failure. i will be taking the car to the dealer tomorrow morning.

Miles on car at failure: 91,855
Build date: late 2012 (2013 model purchased sept 2012)
Corrective actions from dealership:
Outside air temps at failure: 7F
Failure warning signs, if any: loss of power simultaneously with glow plug light
Warning lights on dash/MFI: flashing glow plug light
Problems since replacement:
Repair time:
Any dealer divulged info on other incidents involving other failures:
Did the dealership perform all maintenance and on schedule: I did maintenance
If not dealership, what oil was used/miles on oil: 10k interval, mobil 1 esp 5w-40
Are you the original owner of the car: Yes.
Did you baby your car or not: driven gently with clarification. i always very carefully warm up the car. drive super steady in 4th gear at 40mph until engine warm. never accelerate hard when cold. otherwise, i drive normal but make it a point to get into hard several times during a drive. motor broken in very well and it returns great mpg average. there are long hill climbs during commute which work the turbo pretty good. I always drive long enough to fully warm engine.
Do you interrupt DPF regenerations: no. did twice when new before i knew about the regen. since then, never.
How long is your daily commute: 55 miles one way. combination of highway and back roads. 45mph average overall on trip.
Transmission (DSG/auto or manual): 6 spd
Did you have the Jan 2015 23N5 software update: no
Notes:

i have been very careful with the car to be sure it is warmed up properly. i have a hill to climb in the morning but i am able to drive 7 miles at 40mph to get the car warmed up before going up the hill. on the way home today, it was pretty cold (not as cold as i have seen but still chilly 7F) i was very careful to warm up the car slow on my way home. everything seemed quite normal as far as i could tell for the first 40miles. i was transitioning from a stretch of 55mph back road where we had been going about 50mph to a stretch of highway which is 65mph. on the ramp, i was following a semi. he was accelerating pretty slow (there is some slight snow on ground) i followed him to about 45mph and he was not seeming to accelerate much at that point. so i pulled around him and slightly accelerated in 4th gear being careful cause there was snow cover, and i shifted to 5th. i was now going about 50mph and i saw a flash on the dashboard. i at first thought it was the antiskid symbol as i was crossing a bridge and thought maybe the traction control was kicking in a little bit. i was still in 5th and looked down better and saw it was the glow plug light. i shifted into 6th but didnt accelerate anymore (probably about 55mph now). this whole time we were heading down a grade so acceleration was very mild. i held it at 55mph or so the rest of the way down this grade wondering why in the heck i am having this issue now. but as the road started to go back up hill again, i realized i was not being able to maintain speed as the pedal went in but no more go. i put on the flashers cause i could only do 40mph up the hill. i got off the expressway a mile down the road and gingerly drove the back road home another 13miles at 40mph in 4th gear. i could hear only a slight amount of whir when sitting at a traffic light, with all fans off and revving up to 2000rpm.

i will be suprised if this is not a turbo failure, but i will reply and edit this post once i do find out for sure.

one last note of possible relevance. today at lunch, i took the car out to get food. within the first couple minutes, i heard a regen start (engine cooling fans started whirring away and the idle rpm was up a tick as always during the regen). this regen started before the car was warmed up and i have never seen this happen before. it was still pretty cold out at 15F so i was surprised a regen started. i left the car run all through lunch and didn't shut it down (fast food today). the regen stopped before i drove back to work but it did take a long time since most of it was at idle. i will talk to the dealer about this regen event as it was not normal to me at all.

Last edited:

CNGracing

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE MT6
2012 Passat

Miles on car at failure: 105,000 miles
Build date: 09/2011
Corrective actions from dealership:Replace Turbo system
Outside air temps at failure: 68 degrees
Failure warning signs, if any: dont remember
Warning lights on dash/MFI:dont remember
Problems since replacement:none unless you count bad flywheel @ 115k
Repair time:2 weeks (waiting for parts)
Any dealer divulged info on other incidents involving other failures: None
Are you the original owner of the car:yes
Did you baby your car or not:normal commuting
Do you interrupt DPF regenerations:no
How long is your daily commute:35 one way 70RT
Transmission (DSG/auto or manual):Manual
Failed turbo part number (if known):unknown
Replacement turbo part number (if known):unknown
Did you have the Jan 2015 23N5 software update:yes

Turtherlips

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE w/ Nav
Miles on car at failure: 103,000 miles
Build date: 11/2011
Outside air temps at failure: 52 degrees
Failure warning signs: none
Warning lights on dash/MFI:glow plug light first, then check engine
Problems since replacement:none
Repair time:2 days
Did the dealership perform all maintenance and on schedule: Most - I did some
If not dealership, what oil was used/miles on oil: Castrol
Are you the original owner of the car: yes
Do you interrupt DPF regenerations: I never went out of my way to NOT interrupt them
How long is your daily commute:42 one way, mostly highway
Failed turbo part number (if known): N/A
Replacement turbo part number (if known): N/A
Did you have the Jan 2015 23N5 software update: yes

chansen04

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
2012 Passat TDI Turbo Failure

Miles on car at failure: 125,000
Build date: Unk. Model year 2012
Corrective actions from dealership: (Taken to mechanic with VW Master mechanic, but not to dealer). Connected the vehicle to a diagnostic
scan tool and checked faults in the system. Found a fault for charge
pressure deviation. Cleared faults and road tested. Checked values and found the actual boost pressure is far under the specified. Smoke tested the intake system and found no boost leaks at this time. Recommend replacing the faulty
turbocharger.
Outside air temps at failure: ~80 degrees F
Failure warning signs, if any: Loss of power, glow plug indicator light flashing. Next day, loud siren/whine from engine compartment, check engine light, and white smoke from exhaust. Was told that in this situation the car will 'dump' oil into the system to try to remedy the problem causing white smoke.
Warning lights on dash/MFI: Flashing glow plug light immediately. Later Check engine light.
Problems since replacement: In shop currently. 1 shop - $700 turbo (with 3Y/36k warranty) and $1,400 labor. Other shop: $1,230 for OEM turbo replacement kit and ~$1,000 labor. $700 turbo is OES, approved by VW.
Repair time: Part on hand, est one day for install.
Any dealer divulged info on other incidents involving other failures: Not yet
Did the dealership perform all maintenance and on schedule: All maint. performed by dealer or VW master mechanic
Are you the original owner of the car: Yes
Did you baby your car or not: Always routine maintenenace, Commuter car so 95% highway miles.
Do you interrupt DPF regenerations: Unknown. Blower stays on nearly every time I turn the car off.
How long is your daily commute: 60 miles each way
Transmission (DSG/auto or manual): DSG/Auto
Did you have the Jan 2015 23N5 software update: Yes

Will be contacting Dealer, Customer Care, and VoA regarding Warranty extension.

Last edited:

Turtherlips

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE w/ Nav
This is not a typo - second turbo failure less than 3,000 miles after the first one was replaced. Should I be concerned about an underlying issue?

Miles on car at failure: 106,000 miles
Build date: 11/2011
Outside air temps at failure: 52 degrees
Failure warning signs: none
Warning lights on dash/MFI:glow plug light first, then check engine
Problems since replacement:none
Repair time:2 days
Did the dealership perform all maintenance and on schedule: Most - I did some
If not dealership, what oil was used/miles on oil: Castrol
Do you interrupt DPF regenerations: I never went out of my way to NOT interrupt them
How long is your daily commute:42 one way, mostly highway
Failed turbo part number (if known): N/A
Replacement turbo part number (if known): N/A
Did you have the Jan 2015 23N5 software update: yes

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
Miles on car at failure: 37654
Build date: 11/xx/20122 - pre order.
Corrective actions from dealership: r/r turbo charger. Main impeller leak found during work.
Failure warning signs, if any: Poor performance. Oil leak.
Problems since replacement: Feels like new again.
Repair time: 9d total (4d for parts incl w/e, 1d repair other work done too)
Any dealer divulged info on other incidents involving other failures: Yes. Seen them happening.
Are you the original owner of the car:Yes
Did you baby your car or not:No. Drive it like every TDI should be.
Do you interrupt DPF regenerations: No. Monitored and waited for completion when possible.
How long is your daily commute: 8 mi
Transmission (DSG/auto or manual):A
Did you have the Jan 2015 23N5 software update:Yes

Covered by Warranty Extension letter for VWOA for know turbo issue. $0

Other work covered by Platinum VW extended warranty with $250 co-pay.

Last edited:

DaveTC

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Second turbo failure. First at 16550 miles.
Miles on car at failure: 44760
Build date: 12/2012
Corrective actions from dealership: new turbo, DPF, oil, oil lines, oils system flush, intercooler, and oil pump
Outside air temps at failure: 85 deg F
Failure warning signs, if any: none, I had a whine for 2 month for my first turbo failure
Warning lights on dash/MFI: lost power and glow plug light flashing, P0299 DTC
Problems since replacement: just replaced, works fine
Repair time: 2 days
Did the dealership perform all maintenance and on schedule: No (performed last maintenance myself on time)
If not dealership, what oil was used/miles on oil: Liqui Moly Top Tec 4200
Did you baby your car or not: Yes (lately - I have an auto insurance telemetrics device that has been installed for about 50 days, so have made it a game to accelerate and decelerate slowly. Thankfully, I get to get rid of it in 40 days and drive it like VW will buy it back.)
Do you interrupt DPF regenerations: not with last turbo
How long is your daily commute: 10 miles each way
Failed turbo part number (if known): 03L-253-056-QX
Replacement turbo part number (if known):03L-253-010-JX (re-manufactured, but actually new according IDParts.com)
Did you have the Jan 2015 23N5 software update:Yes (about 1 month after last turbo failed)

wiseman89

TDI
2013 passat TDI
just wanted to add to the list here. Sorry Im so disgusted by the car that i want to spend as little time as possible writing/talking about it.

This is my second turbo that just failed. Turbo model number ends in a Q. I got 100,000 miles on my car.

heard a pop sound, some lights flashed on dash. after a restart all lights went away and are still gone. car has no power. car now has no engine oil. car is smoking like a chimney out the tail pipe.

My car was an import into canada and ive been given the royal F-off treatment by VW. So not only has resale value taken a dump, it will probably cost me a couple grand plus my own labor to fix this POS.

Ive had 2 turbos fail, DPF heater fail, DPF pump fail, all sway bar end links fail twice on all four corners. cars freezing cold to drive in the winter. exhaust flap failed.

BDHPlayer

TDI
3013 Passat

• Miles on car at failure: Around 92000
  • Build date:
  • Corrective actions from dealership: Car has been at dealer for one week, assuming they are replacing under warranty
  • Outside air temps at failure: 80 degrees
  • Failure warning signs, if any: None
  • Warning lights on dash/MFI: Coil and Check engine
  • Problems since replacement: at dealer
  • Repair time: 1 week and ongoing
  • Any dealer divulged info on other incidents involving other failures: none
  • Did the dealership perform all maintenance and on schedule: yes
  • Are you the original owner of the car: Yes
  • Did you baby your car or not: Don't push overly hard
  • Do you interrupt DPF regenerations: no
  • How long is your daily commute: 20 miles one way
  • Transmission (DSG/auto or manual): Auto
    Did you have the Jan 2015 23N5 software update: believe so

BTHORE

TDI
jetta2010/passat2014
turbo cool down time - should be added.

Re: questions on list. Do you idle down your turbo before shutting it off/how long? Could be a major factor in failure--:confused:

Fav40

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL (BB 2/17/17) 2017 Passat V6 SEL Premium
Re: questions on list. Do you idle down your turbo before shutting it off/how long? Could be a major factor in failure--:confused:
It's needed less with today's Quality Synthetic oils. Less likely to coke, but I still did it each and every time prior to shutting down my TDI in the 58,500 miles I had it. Was around big rigs as a kid, I knew many who did it out of necessity for their Turbo and it still made some sense today.

BUT, if you think about all the Turbo motors today, even Twin turbo Ecoboost motors with Soccer moms running all over, driving hard and shutting off immediately , does it still cause high failure with Full synthetic oils being used ? Who knows for sure, but something to think about. I think being easy til warm is a bigger harm. I was gentle to my turbo upon warm up, demanding at times when warm and gentle on shut down, but that took a conscious effort that was annoying at times and confusing to my wife and some friends (mostly female). This is also why I need the lock feature while still running. Easier for quick stops (Milk)

This is what pushed me to go Turbo-less with my next car. The failure and effort, stressed me some. :cool:

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
I know this is the not a discussion thread!] thread but its now very slow (with everyone going the buyback route) I am wondering, your at 92K was that failed turbo with fresh oil or did you have 10-12K on that oil? Seems most fail right before a oil change is due. I also own a Cummins 6.7L clean diesel and Cummins doesn't recommend synthetic- even with same EGT during regens and all :eek:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Please resurrect the discussion thread if you wish to continue discussion. This is a failure report thread only. :)

matty-matt

TDI
2014 Passat TDI manual
Miles on car at failure: 50,001
Build date: 10/2013
Corrective actions from dealership: replace turbo & associated parts
Outside air temps at failure: 75 F
Failure warning signs, if any: slight whistle followed by "whoosh" release of pressure, loss of power, failure to stay running, failure to start
Warning lights on dash/MFI: check engine
Problems since replacement: not yet replaced
Repair time: estimate 5 working days
Any dealer divulged info on other incidents involving other failures: no
Did the dealership perform all maintenance and on schedule: no
If not dealership, what oil was used/miles on oil: Castrol synthetic matching VW spec
Are you the original owner of the car: yese
Did you baby your car or not: no, but did not abuse either
Do you interrupt DPF regenerations: no
How long is your daily commute: 10 miles
Transmission (DSG/auto or manual): manual
Did you have the Jan 2015 23N5 software update: no

flyboybob

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 passat tdi se dsg, ‘15 passat tdi sel premium
  • Miles on car at failure: 173,770
  • Build date: early 2011 (delivered 22 SEP 2011)
  • Corrective actions from dealership: dealer replaced turbocharger and related items listed in TSB under "dieselgate fix" extended warranty.
  • Outside air temps at failure: mid 30's to mid 40's F (typical for PNW in winter)
  • Failure warning signs, if any: high pitched whine/howl changing with throttle position.
  • Warning lights on dash/MFI: none
  • Problems since replacement: none
  • Repair time: 5 days
  • Any dealer divulged info on other incidents involving other failures: none
  • Did the dealership perform all maintenance and on schedule: no dealer performed schedule maintenance since 30K miles. ALL scheduled maintence completed as outlined by VW.
  • If not dealership, what oil was used/miles on oil: Pentosin Super Performance III 5w-30 VW507
  • Did you baby your car or not: daily driver, all scheduled maintenance done on time, not babied in any special way.
  • Do you interrupt DPF regenerations: occasionally.
  • How long is your daily commute: 40 miles rond trip.
  • Transmission (DSG/auto or manual): DSG
  • Failed turbo part number (if known): OEM; p/n unknown
  • Replacement turbo part number (if known): 03L-253-101-JX

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Looks like there haven't been any turbo failures lately. Wonder if the updates are helping turbo life?

Smkn600ctd

TDI
2014 Passat Sel
Bought mine (2014 Passat SEL 44kmiles) 2 weeks ago CPO, has a turbo and oil pump replace 1 week before Vw got the car back in early 2018. 44k miles

Dropped it off last night...its pissing oil from the turbo. Runs fine otherwise.

So either they billed VW for a turbo and oil pump and didn’t do the work knowing VW was getting the car back the next week, or this replacement turbo lasted a whole week, 1000miles.

two passat man

TDI
2013 passat black on black
253,000 miles 99% highway miles. towed motorcycle about 1100 lbs. tune at 238,000 I got a lot from the turbo. I will say this if your turbo is still spinning, but you notice fuel economy going down replace turbo. After replacement fuel economy went up.

berks_tom

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
  • 184,000 miles, about 70% highway miles.
  • Air temp at failure - low 40's F
  • I've used nothing but Pentosin HP3 10w30 507 oil since I bought the car in 2016 with 80,000 miles. Since I didn't know what oil was in when I bought the car, I took it straight home and changed the oil.
  • 65 mile daily commute (round trip)
  • I don't drive it like I stole it, but I don't baby the car either.
  • I do my best to not interrupt regens. I installed a P3cars gauge so I can identify when a regen is happening.
  • DSG Transmission.

I noticed a bit of a "wow" sound during the drive to work on Monday -- wasn't sure if it was tires or the freshly installed winter front flapping a little bit. Heard a light pop when I jumped on the throttle to pull away from an obnoxious tailgater and the glow plug light starting flashing and all boost was gone. Limped it the last 3 miles into the parking lot at work. Had it towed to the garage-- not the dealer, I'm past the extended warranty from the emissions "fix".

However, it gets even better because the replacement turbos are currently back-ordered until sometime in February. Anybody with a line on a reman or a good low-mileage turbo, send me a PM.

Splice2

TDI
vw passat tdi
  • Miles on the car at failure: 102,000
  • Build date: 6/2013
  • Corrective actions from the dealership: replaced turbo
  • Outside air temps at failure: 70 degrees
  • Failure warning signs, if any: none, instant loss of power
  • Warning lights on dash/MFI: glow plug
  • Problems since replacement: n/a
  • Repair time: 4 weeks because they stripped my block checking compression
  • Any dealer divulged info on other incidents involving other failures: a lot of carbon buildup
  • Did the dealership perform all maintenance and on schedule: Yes
  • If not dealership, what oil was used/miles on oil: LiquiMoly always
  • Did you baby your car or not: Yes
  • Do you interrupt DPF regenerations: multiple times
  • How long is your daily commute: 8min city recently. Used to drive 5hrs HWY 4 times month.
  • Transmission (DSG/auto or manual): DSG/auto
  • Failed turbo part number (if known): unk
  • Replacement turbo part number (if known): unk
    Did you have the Jan 2015 23N5 software update: Yes