NO roof rack allowed

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen dsg and 2015 Passat 6 M/T
I wasn't planning on one but I have been reviewing my manual and it really surprised me that a roof rack is not allowed on the '15 Passat and will result in damage to the car!

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6MT (BB'd), 2015 Passat TDI SE 6MT
Get Rhino-Rack. Works 100%, 0 issues.
I transport a a heavy 14' kayak on mine.

jolvi1

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
I wondered about the no roof rack issue on Passat also. Could never get good answer on why not.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Get Rhino-Rack. Works 100%, 0 issues.
I transport a a heavy 14' kayak on mine.
They look pretty good and have one the fits. A kayak (carolina) is the only thing I need to carry on the car but I have the wife's sportwagen for now until we sell it back in 2018.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I think "no roof rack" is similar to "no towing with the DSG." A suggestion, but you can still do it.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
I think "no roof rack" is similar to "no towing with the DSG." A suggestion, but you can still do it.
I don't know they are pretty explicit:

"For technical reasons, the vehicle body is not designed to carry a roof rack. Never mount a roof rack on your vehicle. Mounting a roof rack will do considerable damage to the vehicle.

WARNING: Mounting a roof rack on the vehicle can cause an accident and serious personal injuries.

WARNING: Never mount a roof rack on the vehicle.
WARNING: A roof rack could come loose while driving and fall off the roof of the vehicle.

NOTICE: Installing a roof rack or carrier of any kind will cause expensive damage to your vehicle that will not be covered by any VW Limited Warranty.

But on the other hand if Rhino is selling a roof rack that they say fits the car then I would think it would work otherwise they would be spending a lot on compensation for damaged cars?

Last edited:

Mark_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Passat SEL Premium, 2017 Fiat Spider, 2017 Ford F350 6.7 Diesel crew cab PU, 2016 Harley Trike, 2016 Tesla Model X P90D (I know went to the dark side)
This may just be "Cover Thy Butt" if something were to happen. Who knows

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
This may just be "Cover Thy Butt" if something were to happen. Who knows
Exactly. They didn't design specific roof rack mounts, therefore their safe recommendation is "no roof racks." Of course, by installing one against VW's recommendation, you're assuming liability if something happens.

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
What VeeDub said - they somehow neglected to engineer roof rack mounting points into the design (you'd think if this were a mistake they'd have figured it out by now) and therefore it's dangerous to mount a roof rack.

I know it's just anecdotal, but I have a Thule setup and ran it for a lot last year hauling all sorts of stuff including lumber. The car was solid and unperturbed (and is out of warranty). YMMV.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
I agree with all of the above. I wonder if it affected their sales of both gas and diesel Passats though. There are plenty of people who need a roof rack.