EPA fix & DPF ?

cj42

TDI
80 Rabbit,84 jetta,85 Jetta,03 Cummins, 2012 Passat SE 6MT Tdi
I'm leaning towards keeping my Passat with 135k on it because it's been a great car but by keeping it and doing the EPA fix I'm wondering how long the DPF will last and what the cost will be after EPA fix.. I usually keep my tdi's for 300k+ but the DPF is concerning.. What's the cost going to be to keep it long term.. Any thoughts would be great.

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan and 05 wagen
I believe the DPF gets changed in Phase 2.

IIR, first electrical then mechanical, 2 years later.

I'm not sure if it applies to all engine types?

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Only gen3 cars have an approved fix.
Only speculation on gen1+2.
Guessing it will be free if needed.

Trade Wind

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 2012 Passat SE 6 spd MT
I have the same car as you, about 110,000 miles on mine. I plan to get the modification if offered, use the $5000 to pay for timing belt and any other repairs down the road, and happily drive it for many more years.

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan and 05 wagen
I have the same car as you, about 110,000 miles on mine. I plan to get the modification if offered, use the $5000 to pay for timing belt and any other repairs down the road, and happily drive it for many more years.
sounds like a plan! I turned in my 15, now I feel like a junkie who can't find a fix.

cj42

TDI
80 Rabbit,84 jetta,85 Jetta,03 Cummins, 2012 Passat SE 6MT Tdi
I'm just worried if the DPF goes at 220k what would the cost be?

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
I'm just worried if the DPF goes at 220k what would the cost be?
If you still have a DPF in your car at 200K plus you shouldn't ( make it like your other rigs in your sig ) as even the first responders are pulling them off government owned ford 6.4L rigs as they are having breakdowns (limp mode) during patient transports :eek: Nothing like all the lights and siren at a whopping 15mph. I smelled crisp diesel exhaust from a ambulance my friend drives and he spilled the beans, and also that all the new ones are gassers due to all this emissions $$$ crap failing due to the huge amount of idle time

Last edited:

Lex Tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
If you still have a DPF in your car at 200K plus you shouldn't ( make it like your other rigs in your sig ) as even the first responders are pulling them off government owned ford 6.4L rigs as they are having breakdowns (limp mode) during patient transports :eek: Nothing like all the lights and siren at a whopping 15mph. I smelled crisp diesel exhaust from a ambulance my friend drives and he spilled the beans, and also that all the new ones are gassers due to all this emissions $$$ crap failing due to the huge amount of idle time
That was the dumbest design for the larger trucks... if something goes wrong just drop into limp mode. Our Kenworth delivery trucks going 70 on the interstate and go into a mode that can cause a huge incident!

I plan on doing deleting issues if they arise in the future....

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Any DPF deletes for the 2015 Passats yet?

Looks like Rawtek only has the GSW

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Any DPF deletes for the 2015 Passats yet?

Looks like Rawtek only has the GSW
Big $$.just I terms of the cost in lost $$ and warrenty imo.
Since you will not get the second $$$ from VW.
Lots of reasons to wait a few years till that's done imo.

Mark_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Passat SEL Premium, 2017 Fiat Spider, 2017 Ford F350 6.7 Diesel crew cab PU, 2016 Harley Trike, 2016 Tesla Model X P90D (I know went to the dark side)
I talked to Rawtec and they don't have a delete for the 2015 Passat's yet, not much demand, so if the demand does not go up then they said no delete kit for the 2015.

Mark_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Passat SEL Premium, 2017 Fiat Spider, 2017 Ford F350 6.7 Diesel crew cab PU, 2016 Harley Trike, 2016 Tesla Model X P90D (I know went to the dark side)
But with the extended warranty on the 15's not much need to delete it for many years down the road.

Mark_J

Veteran Member
TDI
I see that Malone Tuning now can tune 2015's (Malone Tuning for 2015 CR TDI)

http://www.fixmyvw.com/malone-tuning-for-2015-cr-tdi/

I still have my Rawtec delete with Cat & resonator in a box for my 2013 Passat and will keep it and if it needs some modification to fit the 2015 Passat if the day comes I want to do the delete. But it would be along ways off due to the emissions warranty.

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6MT (BB'd), 2015 Passat TDI SE 6MT
Our fix should be very similar to Gen 3, only difference being DPF and NOx Cat are separate, not a single assy.

AAMOF I am surprised they didnt release it at the same time - probably has to do with parts availability. And just like, we should be entitled to new DPF/NOx Cat at certain mileage.

Gen 1 will be completely different.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Even if no "hardware" to delete the DPF is available, you can still remove it, cut it open and cut out the innards, and weld it back up.

However, on the CKRA the DPF should last a good long while simply because SCR equipped engines do not produce as much soot so they do not tax the DPF as much.

I'd not lose any sleep over it.