Auto Window & Sunroof Closing for 2012 Passat?

Niner

duplicate account, banned
It's located in the BCM. That's what Compu and veedubietdi posted elsewhere. Or do a search using Easter Egg hunt, you might find it.

physicshogon

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
It's located in the BCM. That's what Compu and veedubietdi posted elsewhere. Or do a search using Easter Egg hunt, you might find it.
I'm still trying to figure out what "BCM" means and where it's located in the VCDS menu....

big_ole_truck

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 VW Passat TDI SEL
Too funny. BTW, I'm interested too in learning how to control the sunroof via fob.

My old ride, 2010 Jetta TDI, allowed control of the windows to open/close by inserting and holding the key in driver's door keyhole. Not so easy with the Passat's covered key hole.

Here's what I found from the other thread:
jumpinjoe - "The driver door must be OPEN. Then pressing up and holding the driver window switch on the door will close all open windows first and then the sunroof."

hammersmith - "convenience closing--on my 2012 passat sel, if u hold up the driver window control switch it will close all windows and sunroof. if u approach a LOCKED car, open the door and press it down, it opens all windows and sunroof. touch sensor door handle will close sunroof after door locks if u hold it a second or two, but not the window which the manual sez it is supposed to."

compu 85 - "Others have posted this, but on my April 2012 car I am able to open and close the sunroof with the locking remote. Hopefully we can figure out how to do the windows in due time :)"

Last edited:

Niner

duplicate account, banned
Yeah, I could search your post but unlike you, I don't spend my entire life in front of my computer. So i'll pass.
Work hard, believe in capitalism, invest wisely, become semi retired, and you too can then do whatever you choose with your time.

Hoosierine

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium
I'm still trying to figure out what "BCM" means and where it's located in the VCDS menu....
Had VeeDub and Compu do this today at a Meet and Greet. In VCDS it is actually under select control module -> central electrical(BCM), you then need to select the long coding.

BCM-> Body Control Module.

Right now all that has been discovered is the ability to use the lock/unlock buttons to open close the sunroof.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I'm merging this thread with your other sunroof/window opening thread (that is linked to in the VCDS Tricks sticky at the top of this forum). It should make future searching simpler for people.

VCDS -> Control Modules -> Central Electrics (09) -> Long Coding Helper

The "BCM" is the Central Electrics Module, formerly referred to as the "CCM" or Central Convenience Module. With new responsibilities comes a new name.

Last edited:

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
No driver door keyhole access #!@!

Activating windows with key fob is not available to my knowledge. The only way to lower windows is from inside the driver's door. Hopefully there will be workarounds, but may require a new door controller module.
I am stuck with a new 1.8TSI gasser since an Uber driver totaled my '14 TDI JSW. Very sad, but the Passat is not bad...however:

If you pull the small trim cover over the keyhole on the NMS Passat, you can activate ALL WINDOWS DOWN or UP by the old insert key, turn and hold process. That has been available for years on lots of VW models.

So I am supposed to stand in the rain in my driveway, pry it off in a panic every time it starts to rain to lift the windows, or sit in the hot parking lot in the sun and pry it off to drop the windows when the car is 130 degrees F inside?! This is stupid. Eventually, the retaining tabs on the cover will wear out, and it won't stay on.

Losing the all windows up or down function with the remote is made worse by the dumb keyhole trim cover. How dumb is that? There is no way to quickly drop the windows, or raise them in a pinch without getting into the car and starting it (I have keyless starting). In fact, you can't even just turn the ignition on to operate the windows (keyless starting), so I actually have to START the engine to control the windows :eek: Stupid.

You really have to wonder why a feature that is available is rendered inaccessible (trim covering the keyhole), or eliminated (no long coding fix for remote operation with keyfob).

I added the remote function using VCDS on my JSW. And that car had an accessible driver door keyhole, so I could ALSO use the key to operate the windows. BOTH gone in the NMS Passat...GASP!

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
you will notice lots of small things that the jsw does better- its honestly a better built car. The nms price point rocks, but indeed has less cool things that the jsw has.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
you will notice lots of small things that the jsw does better- its honestly a better built car. The nms price point rocks, but indeed has less cool things that the jsw has.
That's as may be. Our NMS Passat is nearly 4 years old, and has pretty much been flawless. And the JSW (or GSW, or Alltrack, or whatever they call it now) is just too small for us. To each their own.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
If you change the coding to allow operation of the windows / sunroof from the driver's door lock button it work just as well as the key in the door tumbler.

-J

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
If you change the coding to allow operation of the windows / sunroof from the driver's door lock button it work just as well as the key in the door tumbler.

-J
This car has keyless start. But the doorlock button is probably still live before you start the car??? There is no ignition switch for "accessory position". As I recall, you could drop the windows on the 2013 Passat TDI after unlocking it, but without putting the key in the ignition (6MT, no KESSY). That does not work on the 2017 Passat 1.8TSI.

If it does work with keyless setup in the TSI, I have not seen a post on this coding change. Can you post a how to, or post a link to one? Ross-Tech is still showing no method for all windows down by remote for Chat NMS Passat. I don't see the mod you are talking about either. Did I miss it?

Last edited:

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
I'm forgetting the exact coding check box, but there's one for "comfort windows active via driver's door lock button" or something similar. With that coding turned on, you can open the door and hold the lock / unlock button to operate the windows and sunroof with the ignition off.

-J