40K service checklist

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
When do we need to do a coolant flush? I didn't find it.
The Coolant is automatically flushed when the timing belt is changed at 120 or 130k. It should last that long as long as it isn't 10 years but in 10 years a belt would be due anyway regardless of mileage.

ben2mx

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE
While saving ~$500+ by doing the service yourself is the driving factor for most of us, the other reason is to make sure it is all done properly.

If your friendly neighborhood mech decides to prime the fuel filter's clean side with unfiltered fuel, it is very likely your car will be toast. At the very least, make sure they understand that.
I am sorry for my ignorance, but why will it be toasted if its just about 1 cup of unfiltered fuel? Is diesel that dirty? Will it cause that much damage?

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
I am sorry for my ignorance, but why will it be toasted if its just about 1 cup of unfiltered fuel? Is diesel that dirty? Will it cause that much damage?
NO! Your fuel has been filtered several times before it hits your 5 gallon container.

ben2mx

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE
From the PDF: How do you do this?

Door checks and mounting pins: Lubricate

13PassatTDISE

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
does anyone have a preferred VW dealer in the Greenwich-Norwalk area of CT? I need to get my 40k service done and just got the $500 gift card so good timing for me.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Just finished my first 40K service today by doing the fuel filter. I saw no reason for a marathon, so I did everything over about two weeks: DSG service, engine O&F, DEF top-up, compartment filter, and today the fuel filter. While it's certainly not a trivial amount of work, anyone with reasonable DIY skills and a place to do it can save a load of money.
I tried out my new VCDS by running the fuel pump after changing the filter....although it's probably not really necessary, as long as one ensures that the fuel in the canister is topped up after inserting the new filter.

alma

TDI
2013 Passat SE DSG
Folks, do you have a preferred TDI shop in North-Central Florida? I am tempted to try Hugo & Sons in Gainesville, but would like to hear other members' recommendations.
My car is fastly approaching the 40K service interval and want to stay away from VW dealers (will use the $500 card to put new tires).
I purchased all the parts from wpdusa.com -- I unreservedly recommend buying from them (great people, great service, best prices, filters made in Germany/Austria/the Netherlands).
Thanks, in advance!

AGreen

TDI
2002 Golf TDI, 5 speed; 2015 Passat TDI, DSG
Thanks to the other posters for the info. Here is another recent data point for the forum. In for the 40K service today (wife's car, so she took it in) and searched this thread due to the unexpectedly high price. I assumed this was going to be maybe a couple hundred bucks for oil & filters and maybe all of the checks would be partially covered under the warranty - nope. Cost was $400 + $325 for the transmission (DSG). Seems like that is around the going rate. The service techs spilled adblue in the trunk at the 20k service and again this time - not a few drops either, but a substantial portion of the floor mat is white and they just hand it over to you that way like it never happened. It hardly gives one confidence in the workmanship of the rest of the service. Overall, the dealership service experience has been really sub-par, so I think I will not be taking this car back there in the future.

bronxtale

TDI
2014 Passat TDI
I paid $636.08 total yesterday for the my 40k service and DSG service at Piazza Volkswagen of Langhorne in Pennsylvania. I used my $500 dollar loyalty card so no complaints here.

alma

TDI
2013 Passat SE DSG
After replacing the fuel, air and cabin filters, and topping the urea tank with def, I decided to make use of the VW dealer card and took my 2013 Passat with 39,6XX miles to the local dealer for the motor oil and DSG fluid change. I brought my own supplies (Hengst oil filter and Liqui Moly TopTec 4200; Febi Billstein DSG fluid and filter) and the service rep initially mentioned that using anything other than OEM DSG fluid would void the 120K transmission warranty provided by VW. I quickly dismissed his BS and, after inspecting and reading the label, he appeared convinced that the Febi fluid was totally within the VW parameters (G 052 182 A2).
They also put a plastic cover over the clock spring in the steering column (see the recall).
After about 3 hours, I was reunited with my car. Cost: $175.89. When I asked them to return whatever was unused, I was told that they consumed all 5 liters of DSG fluid (presumably, they even added an extra 3-400 ml) and "nearly all" of the motor oil (they threw away the 5 l plastic jug with some oil in it).
However, in a gesture of goodwill, they gave me free of charge an unopened bottle of Castrol LL3, red cap, 1 l, made in Austria (what a surprise!), manufactured in 2014 (quick question: what is the shelf life of motor oil?).

I also asked them if they would sell one hex bolt from the air filter box, which I somehow misplaced, but was told that I would have to purchase the entire filter box(?!).

Does anyone know where to find the said hex bolt?

Thank you!

P. S. The car runs great, it's more responsive and definitely quiter.