blower fan for ac not working

jefem24

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta Silver
My blower fan for my ac isnt working right. If i have it on 3 its fine..if i put it to 4 it tops working. Is it just overheating?

TIA Jeff

jefem24

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta Silver
saw a few posts about the resistor pack that seem possible but my next question is....

front end of car was recently replaced due to a meeting with a deer the compressor was replaced and a/c recharged could they have fouled somthing up?

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
jefem24 said:
saw a few posts about the resistor pack that seem possible but my next question is....(snip)
__. The usual symptom with the resistor pack is "nothing on setting 1 thru 3 but runs OK (full speed) on 4". Not like yours at all - I'm guessing switch too.

jefem24

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta Silver
the switch seems odd as a possible problem just because it works for about 20 or so seconds then shuts down wouldn't the switch just not work on the 4th setting??? turning the whole thing off for a minute or so will allow it to start again.

Last edited:

jefem24

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta Silver
im wondering if maybe the fan control module was damaged in the accident with the deer and is causing this problem if anyone can point me to a thread with a similar problem to this please do i cant find anything lik eit lots of the opposite not working on 123 but working on 4

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
jefem24 said:
im wondering if maybe the fan control module was damaged in the accident with the deer and is causing this problem if anyone can point me to a thread with a similar problem to this please do i cant find anything lik eit lots of the opposite not working on 123 but working on 4
__. ... accident with the deer ... hmmm. The "fan control module" works the fans on the radiator. The usual failure mode there is that the blower motor inside the car runs OK but it doesn't put out any cool air. I'm pretty sure it's not fan control module. But body crunching accidents can cause elecrical gremlins.

kirkdiefrost

TDI
Here is my case scenario:
My ac works fine on 1st setting but when I turn the knob to 2-4 the ac button turns off along with the blower fan...what could that be?

whiterabbit7

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS 201k miles
kirkdiefrost said:
Here is my case scenario:
My ac works fine on 1st setting but when I turn the knob to 2-4 the ac button turns off along with the blower fan...what could that be?
I'm dealing with same problem right now. I just replaced the fan switch, along with all the other switches down there, they are one unit. This did not solve my problem. This is what VW said the problem was

I'll keep you updated on the progress. Although I don't really know where to look next. I think I might take it to a shop. Not VW though. I hate going there. We have crappy dealers around me. I'll go to my Dad's trusted mechanic.