Getting a Dog

ajskier

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Hello All,

I am about to get a new puppy and I am trying to do some protecting of my car. I have leather seats in my car and I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get a seat cover for the back seat, that will still allow me to use the 60/40 fold down. The reason why I ask, is because I am going to be traveling with the dog and my water and snow ski equipment, which I have to fold down part of the rear seat to get it in my car. I know some people are just going to tell me to get a roof rack, but I don't want to. I don't want to lose any mpg. I am greedy like that.

Thanks for the help in advance,

AJ

crisi13

TDI
06 Jetta 5spd
I can't answer your question totally, but I can say that I have two big dogs and I haven't had any problems with the seats not being covered. If you're worried about hair...just lay down an old sheet and tuck it in. You'll still have hair everywhere, but you can gather most of it up in the sheet. Good Luck finding somthing that will work for you!

ajskier

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Thanks crisi13. I thought about that, but I am just worried that puppies claws might put puncture or scratch the leather. Maybe, I am being to OCD about it.:D

2004STARWARSTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 Platinum Gray GLS Jetta / 2006 Silver Jetta with DSG
puppy

I woul put down a blanket on the seat. That puppy might think its a big leather chewy bone!:eek:

crisi13

TDI
06 Jetta 5spd
I haven't had any problems with their nails (and I'm not the best at keeping them cut...my dogs HATE having their nails cut). I also have a leather couch that they are allowed on every now and then and we've never had a problem there either. I don't think you're being anal...I was the same way when we first got the leather couch, but after about a year I hated the couch and didn't care...I actually felt kind of bad the first time I let them up to sit with me and saw that their nails didn't do anything to it!!!

ajskier

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Thank you for the information. I think that I might have found something that will work. They make back seat hammocks and I going to mod one so that I can still use the 60/40 split. I will let everyone know how it turns out.

DieselDavid

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6M, 2015 Golf SEL TDI DSG
I recommend using a dog carrier/kennel in the car, such as this unit from PetMate. They come in different sizes and are fairly lightweight. Put a blanket on the inside to make it comfortable.

abarns

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Pkg 1
I've got a thing from PetSmart, I think it was called a car hammock or some such nonsense... it hangs from all 4 headrests and keeps the dogs (mostly) from getting down into the rear footwells or jumping up in the front with you (edit: it's canvas on one side and tough plastic on the other, i.e. claw/urine/feces resistant... and we've tested all 3, unfortunately... fortunately it worked). I'm not sure how it will work with one of the seats folded down, you might have to improvise something to hook that 4th corner to. A restraint system is not a bad idea either, it will keep you and your dog safer in the event of an accident. I know I wouldn't want my 130+ pounds of 2 Boxers bouncing around in the car with me in the event of a rollover.

Last edited:

CJ8Rockcrawler

Veteran Member
TDI
No TDI currently. 1 CTD and 1 EcoDiesel though!
abarns said:
I've got a thing from PetSmart, I think it was called a car hammock or some such nonsense... it hangs from all 4 headrests and keeps the dogs (mostly) from getting down into the rear footwells or jumping up in the front with you (edit: it's canvas on one side and tough plastic on the other, i.e. claw/urine/feces resistant... and we've tested all 3, unfortunately... fortunately it worked). I'm not sure how it will work with one of the seats folded down, you might have to improvise something to hook that 4th corner to. A restraint system is not a bad idea either, it will keep you and your dog safer in the event of an accident. I know I wouldn't want my 130+ pounds of 2 Boxers bouncing around in the car with me in the event of a rollover.
I have the same one and it works well for our ~70 lbs retriever mix. There is a long zipper down the center that you can probably use to lay one side down and use the other half of your seat for the "stuff" you need to haul as well. It works well in both the Jetta and my wife's Camry.

Geoduck

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sportwagen
I have a great dane and I just have a padded seat cover and a Big Dog Survivor seat belt harness. It is basically a harness that allows you to buckle in your dog. They make them for all sized dogs and work great. Here is a link if you are interested:

http://www.canineauto.com/survivor.htm

I have had him since he was 8 months old (he is now 7 yrs) and this system has worked great. He was never a "chewer", but if your dog is a chewer..then I would recommend a good seat cover. I got mine as a gift so I am not sure where it was purchased but it just goes over the seat and has some light padding on the back and is a silky quilted type material on the front.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
cujet said:
I can tell you from first hand experience, Siberian Husky's love Jetta's. Mine goes into the trunk to sleep.
Chris
....my spaniel fits nicely (and is well behaved) in my '82 VW diesel pickup. The combination of leatherette and hard styrene seem to hold up well....
Putting a cardboard box in the passenger footwell makes a nice flat surface and - when combined with a blanket - provides a nice alternative to a lanyard while in the bed (CA law).
all the best, ez......