TDIclub Secret Society of BMW Owners (SSBMWO)

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
I've been vag free for a while. Interested to see how the sport edition will hold up in the Michigan winters
LOL, VAG-free here too and into BMW diesels! :cool:

We'll see how my 535d Xdrive and X5 Xdrive35d hold up over the long haul.

I am working on learning the car's electronics, like learning about VWs using VCDS (VAG-COM). The software and OBD2 cable I have for the BMWs is from Bavarian Technic, basically the BMW equivalent of VCDS and design specifically for BMWs. There are a few other software packages out there that will work with BMWs and allow you to get to the BMW-specific stuff.

Supposedly the latest BMWs use Ethernet instead of CAN to communicate between modules and connecting to the car's "network" is real easy. You can easily build your own Ethernet to OBD2 cable to connect a PC to the network. The car has a pseudo Ethernet router and you connect to it through a few of the unused pins in the OBD2 connector. Basically you can take a standard CAT5 Ethernet patch cable and cut one end off and replace it with an OBD2 connector with connections made to the appropriate pins. You don't have to buy a proprietary interface cable. The other end with the RJ45 connector still on it plugs into the Ethernet port on your PC. The router in the car will automatically assign an IP address to the PC just like plugging the PC into any other Ethernet router to get on a network. The rest is in software.
BMW coding and programming info: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=175

I was recently using the Bavarian Technic software and cable to look at some live data, just like I've done in TDIs w/VCDS. I was just exploring out of curiosity to see what live data I can read with the software. One neat thing I found is the engine ECU (aka DDE in BMW terminology) is able to monitor the turbo's actual RPM, among other things. The turbo actually has an RPM pickup sensor on it, probably a Hall Effect device and like the crank sensor on TDIs. With my 535d idling it was kinda cool to measure the turbo's RPM and find it spinning at 14,000 RPM. When I gun the engine a few times I can watch it spool up to well above 50,000 RPM. When operating fully on boost I would expect it to be well above 100,000 RPM like in our TDIs.

Last edited:

cvalentine

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf, 2014 328d
Supposedly the latest BMWs use Ethernet instead of CAN to communicate between modules and connecting to the car's "network" is real easy. You can easily build your own Ethernet to OBD2 cable to connect a PC to the network.
Yep, I used this guide to get me started http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=696777

Cables on ebay are running around $20, so I didn't bother spending the time to build a cable though.

DnA Diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
no more...
Not one to be overly brand-loyal (well, except that it must be a German diesel-powered vehicle ;)) the addition of a 2014 GLK250BT to the all-diesel fleet (2001 ALH Jetta 270,000km, 2009 335d 160,000km) makes for tripartite club ownership in TCIClub, SSMBO and SSBMWO. :)

2001 Jetta, still trucking along on its first clutch - son has it now and still enjoying 1200km+ per tank. The 335D pushing over 100,000mi and running strong (no carbon build up issues). Very impressed with the BlueTec GLK. Fuel consumption about halfway between the fuel-sipping TDI and the 335d, and very sure-footed in all weather conditions.

Not sure what the future has for the 335d down the road....I love the car, always puts a smile on my face and has been a solid car for the last five years - still the power and performance of the car is without compare for the form factor of a diesel vehicle (in North America). Not sure if in the next few years I'll stay with a sedan or look at another SUV. We looked at a Q5 TDI while shopping, but my wife was happiest with the GLK at the time, so that was it. I don't mind something a bit bigger, so Q5 or X5 perhaps (test drove an ML while looking at the GLK and really wasn't a fan of it.) Time will tell, I suppose.

Notwithstanding the 'formation' of the SSBMWO, I am continually grateful to Fred and the TCIClub for arguably leading the virtual (and thereafter real) community of diesel heads in North America. Great reference that still to this day proves its worth day in and day out.

Regards
D.

Seppoboy

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE 6MT, traded due to seat discomfort, hello BMW 328xd
Just an update on my 2014 BMW 328xd at the 7,500 mile mark: 45.4 mpg cumulative, from my refueling log of odometer reading and gallons/dollars. The highest individual tank after miles traveled in the low 600s was 47.4.

I reset the trip computer display at each fill-up and compare the onboard reading with the actual mpg calculated at the fill-up, the onboard reading is usually 1.0 to 1.3 mpg higher than the actual hand calculation.

Really pleased with the mileage, but I miss the VW and Audi control interfaces, and especially the manual transmission, BMW only offers the ZF 8-speed auto with their 2.0L diesel. Using Eco Pro driving mode really helps with fuel consumption, and Sport mode really degrades it. Too bad, Sport mode firms up the suspension and eliminates some unwanted second-order motions the underdamped shocks provide in the Comfort and Eco Pro modes. At least VW could provide a single suspension setting that was a good compromise.

DieselRacer

banned
TDI
BMW Advanced Diesel...2011 BMW 335d
Thanks! Finished the first mod this weekend.

Rear fog light. Some modification to the existing light switch and some programming was all it took. Sorry for the daytime shot, but it's summer at 10 PM.
2 bad they did not carry over the dual exhaust set up like the 335d, i hate when they do that and give the little exhaust on one side...

n1das

TDI
BUMP!

37k miles on my 2014 535d Xdrive sedan and loving it! :cool:

72k miles on my 2012 X5 Xdrive35d SAV and loving it too! The X5 was bought used (CPO deal) with 52k on the odometer.

euro2fast4u

TDI
'14 JSW Tdi
Turbod e30 m20 here :D

tdi is of my daily commute. E30 is for ripping up the streets.

cvalentine

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf, 2014 328d
New winter wheels

I got Nokian Hakkapellita 8 runflat studded tires mounted on used 17 inch OEM wheels on this weekend, now we're ready for winter.

Heads up for anyone getting new wheels on their 328d, the TPMS listed in BMW's parts catalog for my VIN was wrong, they changed to VDO from Huf sensors on 3/1/14 and later. Had to get them mounted twice to swap out the sensors. Pictures to ID the different models here http://www.thetpmsforum.com/showthread.php?3201-New-2014-2015-BMW-TPMS-How-to-tell-the-difference

Last edited:

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
1998 318ti w/ 135k under a cover as a third car.
Also have a '98 318ti as a daily driver. Most reliable car I've ever owned. Not kidding; requires almost nothing and gets 32 mpg.

Edit: It's averaging $78 a month in operating expenses (excluding fuel).

Last edited:

Hill

TDI
Sold two Dodge TDI trucks in July. Kubota tractor - no turbo.
I've got a 328d wagon coming. It's on a boat right now off the coast of Mexico per last report. Jet black over black.

BMW comes with the first AWD diesel CAR (not SUV), and when I heard of it I knew my waiting for VW's TDI AWD sportwagon was over. I thought that the new AWD Golf TDI at the NY show last February (was it?) might mean we'd get the car for 2015 but it looks like it's not happening.

I feel like I'm sticking my neck out - I had a really lousy 1999 E39 beemer that was such a PITA that I dumped it after a year and haven't trusted the maker since. So I'm mustering my optimism and watching folks like cValentine above loving their cars, hoping this won't be another bummer (I used to call the other one "bummer" ).

n1das

TDI
BUMP!
37k miles on my 2014 535d Xdrive sedan and loving it! :cool:
72k miles on my 2012 X5 Xdrive35d SAV and loving it too! The X5 was bought used (CPO deal) with 52k on the odometer.
I recently had the 40k mile service done on the 535d and also got 4 new tires and one new rim. The right front wheel took a nasty pothole hit in February which damaged the tire (bulged sidewall) and also slightly bent the rim. I got the tire replaced only to have another pothole incident with same wheel about a week or so later that put a small bulge in the replacement tire. :mad: Anyhow, the rim got bent during the first pothole incident. The bend was on the inside edge and so small that it was not visible to the naked eye but showed up when trying to balance the wheel. It wouldn't quite balance and I've had a very small vibration from it. The plan was to get a new rim when it's time to get 4 new tires. I also had an alignment done after getting new tires and a rim. The alignment was found to be skewed from the pothole incidents and was brought back into spec.

While the work was being done at my BMW dealer (Tulley BMW in Nashua NH), I had a 2015 328i Xdrive gasser as a loaner car for the day. I found I hated it and I drove my X5 to work that day. The 328i had plenty of power and I wasn't complaining about it being a gasser. The issue was that I couldn't fit into it very well. I explored the range of seat adjustments and just could NOT get comfortable in it. My legs were also hitting the door pocket and center console. I just don't fit in it well. The experience overall soured my impressions of the 3-series and I probably won't ever own a 3-series BMW. It just doesn't work for ME. When I later got back into the 535d, it was a night and day difference. I fit into it nicely.....Ahhhhh, what a relief! It has just the little bit of extra roominess that I need and I'm comfortable in it. I have the Nappa leather multi-contour seats in the 535d.

I love my BMW diesels but I don't think there will ever be a 3-series in my stable.

Last edited:

cglasel

I finally picked up my 328d!
I drove it for 2 weeks in Europe in October on a European Delivery. Man, it was a long wait until redilivery!

I've got about 2000 miles on it and have enjoyed it quite a bit. In a bit of good timing my Gold TDi sold on Saturday, picked up the 328 on Monday....

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
very nice, cglasel!! enjoy it and please keep us posted on your experience. Thanks.

Dean_S

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 535d x-drive
535d X-drive ordered a few days ago

Got the fever, its going to be a long wait.

Went for 18" wheels for smoothness and pot-hole resistance. Most of the toys selected. Now one of our SAAB 9-5 Aero wagons will need a new home.

Considering a spare tire in the trunk for some road trips.

Was strongly influenced by reviews of 535d vs Audi A5.

n1das

TDI
Notwithstanding the 'formation' of the SSBMWO, I am continually grateful to Fred and the TCIClub for arguably leading the virtual (and thereafter real) community of diesel heads in North America. Great reference that still to this day proves its worth day in and day out.
Regards
D.
THIS!!!! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ :cool:

What DnA Diesel said.

After being a BMW owner and now a former TDI owner for a while, I think it has led some TDIclub forum members to wonder why I'm so active here yet don't own a TDI at all.

It is because TDIclub is where it all started for me, starting with my 02 Golf TDI in 2002. I log around 1k miles/week and prior to 2002 I was doing that in a Subaru WRX gasser. The WRX was a blast to drive but I was a loyal friend of OPEC with it. I have absolutely no regrets about "graduating" to diesel from gasoline and such that I won't own another gasser ever again if I can help it. No more gassers! ALL future vehicle purchases of mine shall be DIESEL vehicles. Since 2002 I've logged a combined total of more than 700k miles in my diesel vehicles. My first BMW purchase was the 535d in 2013. I still support the TDIclub vendors because they also sell what I need to maintain my BMWs. :cool:

I'm grateful for Fred and TDIclub for leading the virtual and thereafter real (and growing) community of diesel heads in North America. :cool:

Last edited:

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
Agreed. This forum has more meat on the bones than most, by a long shot.

I'm over at Elioowners forum since I've lusted after this piece of vaporware longer than I can own up to, and the quality/knowledge base -to-strong opinion ratio is noobishly tickling. Their average age is surely over 55, but they argue like testosterone addled 15 year olds--usually sans fact but with one strong'ish' personal anecdote or occasionally two.

Oh, they can all out drive Mario Andretti in snow, and rebuild any engine in the dark, as long as it was made pre-1979.

Most here don't know how good we have it here.

temporaptor

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta TDI 11 335D M-Sport
Some pics of the New 2012 X5 xdrive35d next to the old 2011 335d M-Sport.

Last edited:

GloPlug

TDI
2001 VW Golf GLS TDi...died Nov 2001... NOW 2011 BMW 335d
I have owned several diesels, from 3 3/4 ton trucks, 1 Golf TDI, a 2011 BMW 335d, and now a 2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel. I have been hearing a lot about carbon buildup, which has led to major repairs, some as high as $16,000. Owners have reported the problem as early as 60,000 miles. Now I am worried about my Ecodiesel, in that it may experience the same problem, which is caused by the EGR systems on these new diesels...

temporaptor

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta TDI 11 335D M-Sport
CBU happens on alot of different cars from the EGR system, Ive had to clean the intake manifold on my 2000 jetta tdi 2 times already. As for the BMW's they stepped up and cover them under warranty and CPO warranty. (both my bmw's have been CPO) BMW has also covered it out of warranty on a few cars ive seen on the bmw forums. If your not under warranty a few indy shops are doing the full cleanings for about $850, so alot less then $16,000....... The highest estimate ive seen from a bmw dealer was around $3,000.

Sweeps

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently. MK4/5/6 Jetta's in the past.
I stopped commuting in Jul 2012, so my TDI was sold as my commute went from 140km one way to 6km one way.
I also had use of any car on the dealer lot, so didn't need a DD anymore.

Last fall, finally got a weekend car to put in the garage, 2002 BMW 330i with Sport Pkg, 5 spd manual. Love the car, my 7th BMW. Technically doesn't really belong here though, as it's not an oil burner.

I'll be back in a TDI the second I start commuting again though….if I ever commute a far distance again.

n1das

TDI
CBU happens on alot of different cars from the EGR system, Ive had to clean the intake manifold on my 2000 jetta tdi 2 times already. As for the BMW's they stepped up and cover them under warranty and CPO warranty. (both my bmw's have been CPO) BMW has also covered it out of warranty on a few cars ive seen on the bmw forums. If your not under warranty a few indy shops are doing the full cleanings for about $850, so alot less then $16,000....... The highest estimate ive seen from a bmw dealer was around $3,000.
No CBU on my 12 X5 Xdrive35d (@ 86k miles)or 14 535d Xdrive (@44k miles). I haven't actually checked for CBU but power and MPGs are where they are supposed to be and are always driven like they were stolen and regularly see long runs on the highway.

Just like TDIs, BMW diesels and others need to be regularly driven hard and like they were stolen. They do not like to be babied for long periods or used exclusively for short trips. CBU problems are preventable!

Good luck.

n1das

TDI
temporaptor said:
Some pics of the New 2012 X5 xdrive35d next to the old 2011 335d M-Sport.
temporaptor, nice pics of your new ride! :thumbup: :cool:
It is identical to my 2012 X5 35d and same color. :cool:

Last edited:

n1das

TDI
BUMPing this thread to the top again....

My 535d was at my BMW dealer (Tulley BMW in Nashua NH) today to get the lens replaced on the FLIR night vision camera. It took a rock hit a while ago and cracked the lens and allowed water to get into the assembly. Image quality was poor and often nonexistent due to moisture fogging the system. The lens is replaceable however it is a $617 part and was not covered under warranty due to the rock damage. :( Fortunately the $2000 :eek: FLIR camera was not damaged.

I had a 2015 328d loaner car for the day so I finally got to test drive a 328d. The car drove nice and has plenty of torquey zip to it but my 535d can still leave it behind. :cool: I averaged 46 MPGs on my way to work this morning while haulin' ar$e on the highway. The car only had 600 miles on it. What I don't like about the car and why I won't own a 3-series is that I don't fit in it very well. The door pocket sticks out too far and digs into my left leg and my right leg is into the center console. The center console is a bit wide near the footwell area like in a JSW TDI. Even if I were as thin as a rail I would still have problems fitting into it.

Overall the 328d is a nice car and uses the right fuel :cool: but I'll never own a 3-series because I don't fit into them very well.

Last edited:

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
......and to think I've been linking FLIR to law enforcement/helicopter use all these years....

and now BMW has it. Any others?

ez

Whitbread

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Several
Looks like I'm joining the SSBMWO club. Going to Charlotte NC to pick up an 09 335D with the sport package shortly. 94Kmi. All options except folding rear seats and Idrive (which I'm ecstatic about). I'll add the folding rear seats later, easy enough. Deal was too good to pass up. Deep metallic blue paint.

n1das

TDI
......and to think I've been linking FLIR to law enforcement/helicopter use all these years....

and now BMW has it. Any others?

ez
FLIR: http://www.flir.com/home/

BMW using FLIR: http://www.flir.com/uploadedFiles/CS_EMEA/Application_Stories/Media/Downloads/BMW_A_EN.pdf

I think MB has a pedestrian night vision detection system like BMW. IIRC GM may have had something as an option in a Cadillac I recall from years ago.

I use the feature all the time and love it. It is one of the coolest features of the whole car. It has saved my ar$e a few times at night from deer on the highway and cops hiding in the median with all lights off. I'm aware of what's there before my headlights light 'em up. A cop can hide under the cover of darkness but can't hide the heat signature from his vehicle! :cool: In my neighborhood I can see utility pole transformers glowing because they are warm. The front of recently parked vehicles glow brightly from the underhood temps. Vehicles parked long enough to be totally cold don't glow at all. When parked at a convenience store I held my hand on a store window for about a minute and then looked at it with the FLIR camera and could see a thermal handprint that I left behind. :cool:

From TDIfest2013: :cool:

The yellow highlight color appears when the system detects a pedestrian. Animals such as deer are highlighted in orange when detected by the system. It may not detect a human pedestrian if the person is not standing up or is facing sideways toward the camera. The system software looks for the shape of a standing human pedestrian. The highlight color simply doesn't appear when not detected but at least I still get to see the thermal image. :cool:

More fun with FLIR:

This was at a truck stop in Lebanon NH shortly before TDIfest2013. The truck in the pic arrived before I did and was still warm. Anything that's warmer than ambient temp glows in the pic. Also notice that cloud cover in the sky is visible in the pic but was not visible to naked eye at night.

Last edited: