The Evry mod how to.

puffsmokeonya

TDI
99 bug 5 spd
hey iam also looking for the EGR block off. iam gonna buy one. and i would also like pictures of the install. (the how to i guess) i think a fuel block off plate would work to.

TdiAvenger

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI, 2003, red
i had fun with one of these back in 2006. A little too much fun. My "little black box"(i set it up in a box with a knob on it to adjust the resistance) plus my nozzles were too much for my stock clutch :(

DirtyDzl

Veteran Member
TDI
Looking to buy.
TdiAvenger said:
i had fun with one of these back in 2006. A little too much fun. My "little black box"(i set it up in a box with a knob on it to adjust the resistance) plus my nozzles were too much for my stock clutch :(
My stock clutch is holding it great, if i floor it from about a 15mph roll i can usually break the tires loose. I plan finding it's limit. :p

UUUmmmmm, any mod could "potentially" do that.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Easy killer, this is a mod is kind of like going out in the middle of a field during a storm with a metal bar in your hand. Everything is set for bad things to happen, but it may or may not happen. Dumping in more fuel skyrockets the boost and causes higher EGTs.

RDC98tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta 6MT Prem / (RIP) '98 Jetta 5MT [280k+mi]
That's why you put a switch on it, so you can turn it off, keeping the engine, exhaust manifold and such from wearing out too soon, and keeping your MPG's in the 40's. I like using it only from red lights :D and when passing someone. Im thinking of knocking the resistance down on each setting to about 1100 and 650 ohms. 1300 is barely noticeable, and 800 hardly makes is smoke even with WOT.

TdiAvenger

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI, 2003, red
RDC98tdi said:
That's why you put a switch on it, so you can turn it off, keeping the engine, exhaust manifold and such from wearing out too soon, and keeping your MPG's in the 40's. I like using it only from red lights :D and when passing someone. Im thinking of knocking the resistance down on each setting to about 1100 and 650 ohms. 1300 is barely noticeable, and 800 hardly makes is smoke even with WOT.
when i had mine turned all the way down(or up if you like) and with the combination of my nozzles.....well lets just say i nicknamed it my "smoke box"

Dakta

Veteran Member
TDI
Non Vag :(
smoke box?

I had one of thems once. Sadly this was before rover decided to go for the vp37, so all adjustments were with a screwdriver, not fancy resistors ;)

Dakta

Veteran Member
TDI
Non Vag :(
NB_TDi said:
That picture is pure win.
That's what you get with big nozzles and small turbine.

Compressor was about right though.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Dakta said:
smoke box?

I had one of thems once. Sadly this was before rover decided to go for the vp37, so all adjustments were with a screwdriver, not fancy resistors ;)

Must have a really free flowing exhaust on that car - look how fast it comes out :rolleyes:

Not directing this at you Dakta - picture just fit the comment well.

retro_mike

TDI
2000 Golf TDI 4Door 4A
Just did the EVRY mod on my auto, simple 1000 ohm resistor on a switch to keep it safe and not stress the tranny too much. Definitely noticeable increase in power mostly above 3000rpm. Pulls much harder up there. Switched it on and off while going up a grade and car has a much easier time pulling itself up the hill with it switched on even at lower rpms. No visible smoke, No CEL, No rough idle when it's switched on. Nice to have a little extra oomph under your foot when you need it and can leave it off when in max mileage mode. I'd recommend the mod, it's not as scary as some make it out to be. I think the key is like lots of things in life: Everything in moderation. 1000 ohm is quite safe.

evanbatterman

TDI
1997 passat tdi, 1996 passat tdi
I still have a question, so how do i let the wires 2&3 continue if I have them going to the resistor?, is there a special slicing technique?

evanbatterman

TDI
1997 passat tdi, 1996 passat tdi
So im pretty sure ****ed up. i cut wires 2&3 and tried to get them hooked up to the pot, and ended cuting out more than I should have so now I cant even put my line back together like they should have been

DirtyDzl

Veteran Member
TDI
Looking to buy.
evanbatterman said:
So im pretty sure ****ed up. i cut wires 2&3 and tried to get them hooked up to the pot, and ended cuting out more than I should have so now I cant even put my line back together like they should have been
Oops.

lol, i actually cut my wires and ran a short distance of new wires inbetween the gap, but the best way would be to just expose the wire and solder in the new ones without any cuts.

canadianveedub

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2002 Golf
There is a product called a Posi-Tap that is about $1 each and highly recommended for tapping into a line. Check them out. They are kind of like a t-tap, except they are not prone to vibration failures.
In practice, I have found that around the 470 ohm range, you begin to suffer in idle quality a lot. I don't believe that going lower than this will add more fuel and I know that the power does not show up on the dyno, even running 19#s boost. Around 320-340 ohms is where you hit the "warp drive collapse" or pump shutdown that throws a quantity adjuster out of limits code.

sawedoffgolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta alh
I did the evry mod today, i did it exactly like the diagram pictured in the first post but my power and performance didnt change, i wired it in with a switch and switching it from on to off doesn't seem to do anything either:confused:

F2 Ed

Veteran Member
TDI
SEAT Leon 110
can someone picture their resistor? I wanna see what they look like :)

I've got a black box piggy-back ECU thing that plugs into that socket. Probably does the same thing as the evry mod, just cost me £200 :(

2nsane2005

TDI
2001 Jetta Tdi Blue Lagoon
Do you wire pins 2 and 3 on the one side of the harness or 2 on one side 3 on the other side?

nighttrain2000

TDI
jetta
I got just a 500 ohm resitor on a toggle switch and spin tires thru second gear very little smoke unless i lig the motor down or at hard accleration above 3k rpm any ideas on was reistor i could put in paralel on a second switch to make roll some smoke

Ben Dur

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW golf tdi
you probably dont actually want to "roll smoke" it increases egt and could cause over boost, either one of which could put you on the way to a replacement turbo rather quick.

you could just get injectors and a tune.
ditch the evry and you would have more power and a safer setup...
were talking about $700 in upgrades. cheaper than a new turbo.

people are chopping wires off because they dont know what their even trying to do, while others are popping turbos. All this and the evry mod hasnt been placed on the banned subject list yet. Meanwhile rokkor coilovers are "junk" and K&N air filters are taboo(rightly so in my opinion)

What gives mods?
the EVRY mod 'could' be a decent mod for people with a decent knowledge on the subject, who have built a robust setup including a bigger turbo, exhaust, and proper gauges to monitor the heat, and boost effects.

Instead it is STILL being promoted as a safe alternative to a basic tune or nozzles. which either one could easily be acquired for $300.

i thought TDI club was all about doing things the RIGHT way THE FIRST time.

Ban the EVRY already

SmokeFree

Vendor
TDI
2011 Golf TDI, 2008 Audi A3 2.0T, 2010 Mercedes Sprinter 3500
ban the evry mod? why? everyone is doing this at their own risk, they know it, I knew it. the evry mod worked great on my 1z , not well at all on my alh motor, so I removed it. everyone on this forum is capable of reading the info and forming their own opinion, so why be scared and ban it? banning talk of a cheap, effective, slightly performance mod from a tdi performance website... LAME.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Evry is no more risky than a chip tune. A moderate 1k ohm shunt is no more detrimental to an engines longevity than a moderate stage 1 tune.
The 500 ohm that nighttrain chose is far more than I'd personally do, along the lines of putting a stage 5 or 6 chip tune in an otherwise stock engine, but that's his choice.
No one, and I mean NO ONE, that is knowledgeable has said that a chip (or Evry) will add to engine life expectation. The amount of decrease in engine life relative to the increase in performance, that 'cost / benefit' consideration, has been left to the individual owner to decide for themselves.
So once a trade off of durability to gain performance has been made the decision is then which to choose: $700 chip and injectors, $300 chip, $300 nozzles,

or $7 Evry?

My Evry and bleed set me back less than $7.
I picked up some used '98+ A3 chips for $70 that may or may not work in my '97 A3. Here's to hoping they do.
There's a dyno day coming up where I intend to test both against stock.
What would you say are the chances that the chip will make 10 times the increase in power of my bodged modifications?
How annoyed would you be to know that the $700 chip and tip set don't make 100 times more power?

FlashT

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 NB - sold
Ban the EVRY already
How about NO.

Saying that the Evry should be banned would be like saying that 3-bar MAP sensors should be banned since they can blow a turbo on a stock car. Rediculous.

The Evry has done some amazing things for people on this forum and there have been copious amounts of warnings in every decent thread on this subject. The only people who have failed are the ones who didn't put the time in to learn how to do it right and that is their fault.

Ben Dur

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW golf tdi
i mean has anyone actually measured the effect of various resistances? (i know each car reacts differently)
can it be examined using a VCDS?

maybe banning it is a little ridiculous. But isnt it also a little ridiculous to promote it as such a simple entry level mod?

as i said before it should be treated as a major modification, and various instruments to monitor the safe operation should be in place.

a 1k ohm resistor may be modest on your car, but to just put out a blanket statement that it is safe is slightly misleading, as each car reacts differently.

further, i would not be upset to learn that a bleed and evry put out comparable power to a basic mail-order tune, as the research has been done, they have been tested, and they are 100% compatable with VCDS. the risk of installation error causing damage is minimized, whereas with the bleed and evry the risk increases with lack of experience. lack of experience is displayed by many of the individuals using the evry as an entry level mod.

my opinion, Boost gauge, egt gauge, proper running car, and a decent amount of research, should be understood prerequisites before experimenting with this mod.

Last edited:

EvilScotsman

TDI
MK2 VW Caddy Van 1.9 SDi AYQ
a tuning box on ebay will 90% of the time contain a 1k resistor and nothing else, and sells as suitable for plug and play, if they had a rep for bursting engines then no one would buy them, and all it does is the exact same thing as the evry mod, word for word exactly the same. Dump more fuel in than standard. Some have a pot you adjust in the same way, so really the evry mod is just an honest version of the rip-off tuning box market. 200 bucks for a resistor in a box.......they must be laughing all the way to their gold-plated toilet seat lol

I might start making these!

and yeah, I agree an EGT meter is a very very good idea when you mess with the fuelling on a tdi :)

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
I picked up some used '98+ A3 chips for $70 that may or may not work in my '97 A3. Here's to hoping they do.
There's a dyno day coming up where I intend to test both against stock.
What would you say are the chances that the chip will make 10 times the increase in power of my bodged modifications?
Day is done. Five tests, back to back, all pulls within 15 minutes.
Car is my '97 Jetta AHU powered '95 Cabrio. 244k miles on the engine. Sprint 520 tips (.205 micron), fuel was B99. Not that that makes much difference as there were no variables other than the test conditions.
Test #1 stock tune (shown in red)
Test #2 900 ohm Evry (shown in green)
Test #3 boost bleed (shown in pink)
Test #4 900 ohm Evry and boost bleed (shown in blue)
Test #5 "UP II" chipset only, no Evry, no bleed (shown in orange)

Torque graphs are the cluster of five lines with dots starting between the 40 and 50 marks on the left of the chart. Torque delineations from 0 to 175 LB*FT are shown on the right border of the chart.
Horsepower graphs are the cluster of five lines (no dots) starting at about 15 HP on the left side of the chart. Power delineations from 0 to 100 Hp are shown along the left border of the chart.
The labels state 'flywheel' power and torque, but I don't know the driveline loss factor they chose to use. The same factor was used for all pulls so the relative comparisons as a percentage of each other are valid, even if the quantities of units aren't.
The apparent 'blips' at 1500 and 1800 rpm were a dyno glitch that affected many of the pulls and are not used for this comparison analysis. Only the results greater than 2000 rpm were used to prevent these 1500 and 1800 rpm anomalies from skewing the test result.

74.6 HP stock
87.4 HP Evry and bleed (17.2% increase, or 12.8 Hp for $7)
88.7 HP UP II chip (18.9% increase, or 14.1 Hp for $70)
Evry and bleed are $0.55 per Hp
The chip is $4.96 per Hp.
Even at the nearly 'throw-it-away' price of $70 I paid, the chip set is 9 times the cost per added Hp.