2004 Jetta Wagon TDI for parts or repair in De Soto, MO

restlesstexan

TDI
2004 Jetta Sportwagon TDI, and while technically not a TDI, my 2nd vehicle deserves an honorable mention - I also own a 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD Limited 4x4 (2.8 liter Turbo Diesel)
SOLD - 2004 Jetta Wagon TDI for parts or repair in De Soto, MO - 1K OBO

Received deposit - car is basically SOLD - Thanks coalminer16 for giving her a good future, makes me happy!

Well me and a buddy spent the weekend replacing a seized turbo (stock KP39) with a VNT17, everything seemed good to go, she started up and idled smoothly, revved up and made some boost in the garage, so decided to take her for a short road test, then while shifting from 3rd to 4th (manual tranny) when I pushed in the clutch she revved to redline even with my foot off the accelerator pedal, so I cut the key off and let the clutch out which stopped the "runaway-like" condition, and then coasted the car to a stop in a driveway near by. My buddy was following me and described what he saw, black smoke, followed by white, then he saw me pull over. After this the car would start but barely kept an idle - so we went back to my house to get my Jeep and since the car was setup to be towed behind an RV we used the blue ox tow bar and simply towed the car back home - only about a quarter mile.

I'm not big on gambling, and after just dropping a grand on new turbo + gaskets + braided feed / return lines, I know when to "fold and cut my losses"

So I'm putting her up for sale to whomever wants to put the time & money into fixing her and getting her back on the road. We didn't disassemble the car after that incident, so the VNT17 MAY or MAY NOT still be good, and like I said the car does start but barely runs - so putting an honest assessment of the car's condition out there for anyone considering making an offer.

The body is straight, and the car was originally used primarily back home in Texas, so rust is not an issue on this car's body. There are a few minor cosmetic blemishes but no major body damage or dents, etc... the front end has been swapped out by the previous owner for the golf front end/hood/fenders/lights/etc.

I'd realistically like to get at least my turbo cost back, right around $1k, but will entertain any reasonable offer. I do want to keep the blue ox tow bar as I still intend to set my Jeep up to be towed behind an RV so can still use that for the Jeep, but if need be, whomever buys it, if you're willing to leave a deposit on the tow bar ($600 - the cost of replacing the blue ox bar) I would let you use the tow bar to get the car home, and return your $600 when I get my tow bar back.

I'll answer any questions I can just PM me on here, now for some pics of the car itself - thanks for your interest in advance - I'd rather the car go to a TDI enthusiast, but if I don't get any real interest on here after about a week I'll have to resort to craigslist (yuck!!)

Oh - I also had installed the FULL panzer pan and side skirts just before the KP39 seized.... doh!

Thanks!

Last edited: