gated saab gt1752

devon1996

TDI
08 A4 tdi swap
Anyone running a wastegated saab gt17? I found some older threads but nobody said anything definitive about how it spools and performs in general. Considering it as an HP turbo under a hy35 on my bhw A4 but I want to know how well it runs as a single first.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
they got the small necked-down shaft and the thrust bearings do NOT like use as an HP turbo, even when you sub in the gt25 parts

other than that, no idea how they operate with the 'gated housing, I only used one that I'd stuffed into a VNT housing

devon1996

TDI
08 A4 tdi swap
they got the small necked-down shaft and the thrust bearings do NOT like use as an HP turbo, even when you sub in the gt25 parts

other than that, no idea how they operate with the 'gated housing, I only used one that I'd stuffed into a VNT housing

Interesting. I figured with a wastegate it would be easier to not overspeed it.

devon1996

TDI
08 A4 tdi swap
I had a tial mvs on it as well as the vaned housing

I have a few gt17 vnts but that's exactly what I don't want to do it makes the plumbing needlessly more complicated haha. Internal gate Means I have a 90 on the outlet and that's it.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
internal gate is totally useless for compounds, both in limited control options and limited flow

devon1996

TDI
08 A4 tdi swap
internal gate is totally useless for compounds, both in limited control options and limited flow
The internal gate in the Cummins works good for compounds not sure why it wouldn't be the same situation.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
The internal gate in the Cummins works good for compounds not sure why it wouldn't be the same situation.
maybe they just don't care that it is outrunning the tiny port totally uncontrolled?
plenty of guys just run fixed housings with no wastegates at all and let'er eat, but you tend to go through HP turbos a little too often doing that

devon1996

TDI
08 A4 tdi swap
maybe they just don't care that it is outrunning the tiny port totally uncontrolled?
plenty of guys just run fixed housings with no wastegates at all and let'er eat, but you tend to go through HP turbos a little too often doing that

That's pretty true I ran my hy35 up to like 46 psi daily and it never came apart. Not as much headroom on a baby turbo.