MD State Inspection...

nm50

TDI
2001 VW Jetta GLS
Just moved here to the Hunt Valley area. What should I expect from the state inspection? Any tips on what to fix/check before inspection (foggy headlights)? Do they look for the EGR? I removed mine and would prefer not to have it on the car. Thanks!

Calico Red

Perpetual Newbie
TDI
Passat 1996 Blue (sold 2/25/2012), Jetta 2005 Blue

armyschus

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf S TDI, Blue Silk Metalic, 6M
The MD State on-time inspection is a money making business for the state. Things they will fail you car for you see on the road every day. All that being said, they are going to look for general safety issues, drivability, and completness of primary systems. They will check your headlights for output. If they are severly cloudy you need to look at a polishing kit. Your brake pads should not be worn down; look at your rear pads for remaining pad life. They will look for both a muffler and a CAT and they may look at your EGR system if they know how to locate it. If you have a check engine light on they may require you to correct the condition before passing your car. MD does not have an emissions testing requirement for diesels.

Try these links for more information.

http://www.mdstateinspectionstation.com/f_a_q's.htm

http://www.mdstateinspectionstation.com/what's_inspected_on_your_car.htm

Best of luck.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
I just got both cars inspected. Man, what a complete PITA. The inspection scheme in this state is a total cash grab - having independent shops doing inspections seems like a license to print money. I can recommend two shops that you shouldn't go to.

First, the NB. We just moved here and I was trying to get it inspected & registered in two days - big mistake. I first took it to a place which had decent reviews - A1 Three Brothers Auto Repair. They failed it due to loose tie rod ends & 'cracked and broken' front strut mounts. Of course they offered to repair both problems for the sum of $900. Shocked, I drove the car back home. As I was going back to Chicago for 2 weeks, I didn't exactly know how to proceed and I would be damned if I paid those guys $900 to fix what wasn't wrong. I also called another shop who quoted me $1400 for the same work. :eek: We wound up re-upping the IL registration to buy some more time.

So once I'm back out here full-time, I take it to another inspection station - Woodcroft Exxon at Putty Hill & Old Harford Roads in Parkville. They threw the book at it, this time failing it for a bad passenger side outer tie rod, aftermarket tint and a running light out. As the tint was on the car when we bought it used and it certainly didn't look too dark, I took it down to the MVA in Glen Burnie and had the State Police check it... and it averaged about 25% VLT. State minimum is 35%. VERDAMMT!

So I had Desmond's do the one tie rod end that actually needed replacing (~$250 with tire rotation, balance & front end alignment - and the mechanic said it wasn't too bad, but any tie rod wobble will fail inspection), I stripped the tint off in a couple hours one afternoon (~$20 in Windex hopped up with extra ammonia & razor blades - already had the black garbage bags and sunshine) and I replaced the running light myself ($5 at vatozone).

Being a glutton for punishment - or conceding that the Devil you know is better than the one you don't - I took my Golf there for inspection. They nearly failed me for having one rear wheel set back 1cm further than the other but just warned me after we both inspected the mounts, bushings, beam & attachment points and found it came that way from the factory. But they did fail me on not having a muffler :mad: so I had to source a replacement muffler and spent last Saturday cutting the straightpipe, welding some adapters onto the muffler and clamping it in place. But it passed re-inspection (visual only) on Monday and I got my plates that morning.

So, if there's anything visually un-stock, anything causing a MIL, any weird driveability issues, lights burned out, brake pads/discs near minimums, etc... FIX IT NOW! I don't believe they popped the hood on either car (nor do I think they would know what a racepipe looks like) and diesels pre-2007 are exempt from emissions inspection.

With as much of a pain in the arse as inspection is (unless your car is fairly new, bone stock & up to date on all maintenance), I'd ask around at work to see if anybody there 'knows a guy' who will 'help you out' ;) with inspection... for a donation ;). Be forewarned that kind of grease isn't cheap, but most places charge you $70 - $100 for inspection - how much is your time worth on top of that?

4x4toy

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Passat sedan
If you have an issue in Maryland with a state inspector or the garage doing the inspection you call contact the State Police and discuss it with the State Trooper in charge of the inspectors. The issue will be handled very quickly. Do your homework and make sure you know exactly what you are talking about. Sorry I cant be more help. The State inspection is very thorough in Maryland. Some shops will shortcut them, stay away.

Last edited:

bulabula

Veteran Member
TDI
A5 Jetta; A4 Golf 2-door; Dodge Cummins Turbo Diesel
If your car spent a day or so in the rust belt, the inspectors will often take joy in making you replace all of the brake lines too......

Welcome to Merryland.....

ritsco

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI GSW SEL and 2006 Golf TDI GLS
It's not that bad and, the weird thing is that you only need to do it once. Your diesel is exempt from emissions testing, so once you pass, you'll never go again. Sweet !

I have had about 15 vehicles done at various places here and never had an issue that couldn't be easily corrected within a few days.

Just my 2 cents.

iamstuffed

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf GLS TDI Blue Anthracite
If you need more time to get the car repaired, you can just call the MVA to get an extension. I did that like three times, for almost a year, on my old 300D before I got it inspected.

I'm not sure if there's a limit, but if your car fails the inspection, that's the way to go! They give you like three months at a time or something like that.

Apollo21

TDI
2004 Jetta (230K and kicking) and Golf (Dead)
Ok bringing this back from the dead. All this information is still valid correct?

With any pre 07 there is no emission testing which is great though i'm guessing they visually check for mufflers and cats?

What is their stance on lowered suspension? Larger rims and tuned out EGR?

jni3

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 sportwagen tdi / 2012 golf tdi
why did you move to hunt valley? i'm not a fan of their dealership. but that's just me.

TDI Jim

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat, 1996 Passat Variant (RIP), 2002 Jetta Wagon, 1995 Passat Variant TDI conversion brought back from the dead, 1997 Passat Variant project, and returned 2014 Passat
Since you are in Hunt Valley, buy your parts at World Impex on Williamson Lane off Cockeysville Rd. just past the BP Station where Beaver Dam Rd. comes into McCormick Rd. Phone is 410-771-0626 and tell Andrew or John Jim sent you and you are new in town.

robzuk

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Golf, 2001 Golf, 1987 Cabrio
Ok bringing this back from the dead. All this information is still valid correct?

With any pre 07 there is no emission testing which is great though i'm guessing they visually check for mufflers and cats?

What is their stance on lowered suspension? Larger rims and tuned out EGR?
I've never had a problem with inspectors out here in Harford county. The inspector that did mine even crossed out the catalytic converter section and wrote DIESEL in large letters there, lol. I would do brakes and struts on a car, seems they like that and don't throw the book at you. Make sure ALL the lights are working.

Poor scurvy got it bad, but you got to hang out with Katie twice. ;)

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
You guys in MD have it made. 1 inspection for life, when I lived across the river in MD I knew plenty of places that would take your money and kick you out the door. Here in WV they get you ever year but again if you live in a place long enough you soon know the places to take your car to.