Adventures in TDI land, or how I learned to do a TB job.

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
2015 NMS Passat SE TDI "Gin" 2006 A5 New Jetta TDI "Graycie" and 2003 A4 Jetta GLS TDI "Liath"
Volks:

Over the weekend I picked up a new (to Me) TDI. It's a sweet "03 Jetta GLS TDI with less than 100k on the odometer, just less (93,690 miles). I found the car on Autotrader and was interested but could not justify a 5 hour trip for a test drive. The problem was that the car was in Midland, Michigan and I live in Chicago, over 300 miles away. Luckily, I met a few folks from Michigan at various GTGs (thanks Jetaah and Old Navy) and was able to contact a few to find out whether they were near Midland. I contacted Lew Pavlovich (lrpavlo) and Mark Gilson (Mark of Diesel). Turns out Lew lives within 20 miles of Midland and Mark used to live in the area too, but has since moved to northern Michigan.

Lew agreed to go up to Midland and look over the car on my behalf, and based on Lew's analysis of the car I was able to negotiate a good deal with the seller without ever having driven the car and only seeing pictures of it. Since the car was almost due for a timing belt job (100k mile interval belt on the 5 speed "03's) if I bought the car Lew offered to help me do the TB job before bringing the car home to Chicago. I jumped at the chance having never done a TB job before myself and having the opportunity to have someone with expreience help out was too good to pass up. I went up to Midland on Friday (11-13-09) and picked up the car and headed down the road to Merrill and Lew's house. Friday night Lew and I did an oil change and some Mods and maintenance work including a snow screen cleaning, the coolant tank mod to avoid coolant migration, a ventectomy, the 5 brake light mod, and installed a cabin filter since none was in there to begin with. Saturday morning Mark stopped by to lend a hand and we did the TB replacement. It went well and the new car made it home to Chicago with a new TB, and I made it home with a lot of good memories and a lot more knowledge about TDIs.

I can not thank Lew enough, because without him going to look the car over I would never have had the confidence to make an offer on the car. I also want to thank both Lew and Mark for taking the time to help a fellow Club member and sharing their knowledge on how to change a timing belt. Lew and Mark are both invaluable assets to TDI Club and I can not thank them both enough.

Dan

Last edited:

lrpavlo

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Sportwagen DSG, 02 NB Auto
Dan you are very welcome!
I certainly wish you would have taken me up on my $500 offer as it is a pretty nice specimen!
I really appreciate you and Mark of Diesel doing all the work....you can feel proud of your accomplishment!

By the way...as you drove away I could see that 5 brake light mod thru the trees! Sure show's up great!!

I'll "e" you tomorrow on shipping back the item you forgot!

Lew

Last edited:

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
Nice one, Dan. Glad everything worked out for you. Big thanks to Lew & Mark for helping out.

Now let's discuss your remap options at this point...

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
2015 NMS Passat SE TDI "Gin" 2006 A5 New Jetta TDI "Graycie" and 2003 A4 Jetta GLS TDI "Liath"
The New Arrival

Volks:

Here's an image of "Liath" our new arrival. Illinois folks will note that she still needs a front license plate frame, but I got one with the car and just need to get it mounted. Again, a great big thanks to Lew and Mark for their help in getting the car and getting the TB done before even getting the car home.

Dan

Last edited:

lrpavlo

Veteran Member
TDI
Dan your item left on the bed was sent this morning! Let me know if you get the tracking #.

PS I agree.....a chip would be really nice!!!

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
Lew:

Got the e-mail with the USPS tracking number for the package you sent. Sorry for the inconvenience! And thanks for sending it out so soon too.

Dan

TDI
Jetta, 2006, Campanella White, Anthracite Int. DSG, Pkg. 1; New Beetle, 1998, Yellow, black leather Int., 2013 Passat TDI SEL Night blue, grey Int. given back to VW (well, not given... ;) ) 2018 Tiguan; first gasser in years
Dan, you are quite welcome for my piddling service, it was one of those all too rare TB jobs where all went smoothly and the time under car was mercifully short, for me at least. :eek: ;) I think we have a new bellypanman (sorry TDIratchet) Miraculously, I didn't see a single deer, alive at least, the whole way home. Must be all the corn still in the fields. :rolleyes: Great seeing you both and as usual the Pavlovich hospitality was fabulous! Can't wait for the next GTG! BTW, nice car Dan!

lrpavlo

Veteran Member
TDI
MOD Certainly wouldn't call your service piddling!!!! Nothing like good wrenchers to make something go smoothly....though Dan probably would have reconsidered had things gone like they did putting the cabin filter in!!!

Thanks for letting me know about the package Dan...I read your IM first though....So just let me know if it arrives OK!

bf1967

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf
All of Us said:

Volks:

Here's an image of "Liath" our new arrival. Illinois folks will note that she still needs a front license plate frame, but I got one with the car and just need to get it mounted. Again, a great big thanks to Lew and Mark for their help in getting the car and getting the TB done before even getting the car home.

Dan
Hey Dan,

That's nice.... and its the right color too ;). Now you just need some snazzy rims and a chip and your good to go.

Bob

oswegoPD

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TSI, 2013 Passat 6M sold, 2012 Jetta Premium DSG sold, 2004 Jetta GL 5M (sold)
Dan,

Nice looking car. I would get a skid plate and install a frost heater. I just installed a frost heater on my 04 Jetta and did the Scurvy front. I don't have heated seats and hope to avoid another cold winter.

Eric

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
Shawn, Lew, Ted, Gary, Mark, Bob, and Eric:

Thanks for your comments about Liath! I have the plate frame mounted, and have been working on various other little things that I want to fix on the car. I also went to the DMV and got the title and license plate transfer taken care of. That one only required 2 trips because the dealership in Michigan "forgot" to give me some other documents that I needed in order to "get 'er done". I have a TDI Club plate frame ordered, well at least I think I do, for her so she can proudly advertise our membership.

Dan