Odd thing with 2013 Jetta

morsillo64

TDI
2013 Jetta 6mt
So, I bought a fixed 2013 Jetta TDI. Every 300-400 miles since I bought it, it seems to be going into regen for the dpf. I drive 110 miles round-trip commute. Bought it from a Cadillac dealer, within a week took to vw dealer for oil change and 40000 mile fuel filter change. Did this to ensure warranty coverage hopefully. On the way to the dealership, car was sputtering a little bit, reving at 1100 rpm . Mechanic came out and said, " fuel in filter was cloudy as hell" . He said he pulled more from fuel line and it seemed fine. Afterwards and for a week I averaged 44mpg . Now I'm over 50 every day. What the hell if anything is happening. It hesitated a couple times again the last couple days....2000 miles since the filter change. Sorry for the long post...lol

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
Welcome! Awesome fuel mileage! My passat averages 350-360 miles in between regens, im sure my beetle is about the same. Make sure you run top tier diesel (shell, bo, mobil etc), stay away from sheetz, murphys etc. my bug looses 2 mpg on the sheetz/murphy tank of fuel and the next one too (never tried it with the passat.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Regens will happen. No need for Top Tier fuel either. Just use a station that has a high turnover rate of diesel. Use your own additive if you just must have top tier fuel. They have been discussed here many times so I will leave it up to you to search and decide which if any you want to use. I have been using Murphy's for nearly 15 years with no issues at all. I use the Gas Buddy app to find the cheapest fuel near me at the time and choose the name brand from that list. You will hear and/or read of those who push top tier and/or additives but the majority of us use nothing and get along just fine. Welcome and good luck with your new car! Keep up with the maintenance. By the way don't believe the dash fuel economy gauge, they aren't correct. We normally only give any credit to hand calculated full tankfuls. Use the Fuelly app to track your fill ups and then you can post your results online for everyone to see.

http://www.fuelly.com/dashboard/

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Regens happen every 200 to 400 miles depending on the type of driving you do. Did you see the cloudy fuel? I don't see how the fuel in the filter housing can be cloudy but fuel pulled from the tank is clean. If you want you can drain the tank when it gets low and clean it out if needed. The fuel pump (Low Pressure) and access is under the rear seat bottom. If you aren't having any current issues I would just leave it alone. Your daily fuel economy you spoke of means little. Calculate tankfuls and use those for reference. As I said the Fuelly site is a good choice to use to see what is happening with your economy.

Last edited:

morsillo64

TDI
2013 Jetta 6mt
I guess the car wouldn't run as smooth as it does 99% of the time if the fuel was contaminated. I run a lot of fuel through it also. 800 miles a week. I traded in a "bulletproof" Toyota Tacoma with a lower end rod knock at 125000. And my 18 mpg gas fuelups.. lol. I should just drive it huh?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Unless you know there is an issue just keep driving. If you didn't see the cloudy fuel I would tend to believe it didn't exist. Find a better fueling spot just in case. Nothing to do about the regens without voiding warranty and breaking laws.