Relay 109/ Glow plug relay P1619

2ManyKMfor1Tank

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
So, am trying to get my Dad's car in shape to certify and I have to admit, wiring is my weakest link. He had hooked up a manual toggle switch for his glow plugs, as it wouldn't stay on long enough to start his car up in Sudbury. Now, in order to pass emissions and safety, has to be code free for emissions. Have reversed the wiring for the glow plug harness, and now have a new code saying P1619 Open/short to ground on my glow plug relay. After some reading, the relay is under the dash above the 377 relay. It was hot to the touch, and I noticed that it clicks as soon as I plug it in. Anyone have a clue what could be going on here?

Thanks in advance,

Aaron

andy2

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Jetta,94 Golf drag car 585bhp,Samurai buggy BHW 300bhp,97 Ram cummins
Did he use the toggle switch to ground the control circuit for OE glow plug relay ? If so then that code could be set when he put the toggle switch in for the glow plugs.Also do you happen to know if that code was there before he installed the toggle switch ?

Possibly the control wire is shorted to ground somewhere.

Last edited:

2ManyKMfor1Tank

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
I don't believe he had the code beforehand, it functioned normally, though he had a tough time starting it occasionally.
He did have it grounded, I reversed all the wiring to the original configuration and can't seem to figure out why it's not working properly. I hate chasing wires, but have to have the emissions done this week.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Do you have a schematic? Wanna bring it to cambridge? I'm sure we could figure it out.