Independent TDI service in Southern Cal

ramb02

TDI
2010 VW JSW TDI
I've been looking around for a good service company to maintain my 2010 JSW TDI in Southern California. Anyone have any suggestions, especially if it is in the Inland Empire?

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
He is a stand up guy.If you see him tell we miss him:)

ramb02

TDI
2010 VW JSW TDI
Thanks for the link. Sounds like it might be worth the drive. It's probably about 30 miles or so from me. It doesn't seem like there are many choices is the inland empire...

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Any particular reason you are opposed to a dealership?

I am Parts Manager at Riverside Vw, so some would say I am biased. But I would trust our guys with anything I need done on my car.

ramb02

TDI
2010 VW JSW TDI
I wouldn't say I'm opposed to a dealership. But our recent service experience wasn't exactly the best, and the costs were a bit high in my opinion ($400 for oil change, air filter and pollen filter changes). So I guess I'm just trying to explore my options you might say.

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
I wouldn't say I'm opposed to a dealership. But our recent service experience wasn't exactly the best, and the costs were a bit high in my opinion ($400 for oil change, air filter and pollen filter changes). So I guess I'm just trying to explore my options you might say.
$400??????????????? I would agree that it is on the high price and they are all things that you can do yourself quite easily!

ramb02

TDI
2010 VW JSW TDI
No such luck. Was told that their rates were comparable to others. But since I don't know of anyone to compare to, I don't know if that is true or not.

VLS_GUY

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Bug, Skid Plate, Stage 1 Upsolute
Ramb02,
Sorry to hear you were bent over a barrel like that. If you don't mind the drive Matt or Import Auto clinic in Thousand Oaks are worth a try.

kennethsime

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon GL TDI 5-Speed Baltic Green
Rambo:

Matt-98AHU on this forum is well-respected as a TDI Guru, and is currently based in Santa Maria, CA. He will travel to you for a modest fee, or if you have the time you can drive out to him. I would trust him with anything on my car, he is a very talented and knowledgable man.

Last edited:

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
No such luck. Was told that their rates were comparable to others. But since I don't know of anyone to compare to, I don't know if that is true or not.
They are called "Stealerships" for a reason.

Power_Not_Speed

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Any particular reason you are opposed to a dealership?

I am Parts Manager at Riverside Vw, so some would say I am biased. But I would trust our guys with anything I need done on my car.
Just curious, what would your dealership charge for the service mentioned in #6 - ($400 for oil change, air filter and pollen filter changes)?

Dealerships can be a nice experience, I've bought parts at Sunset Porsche-Audi up here and was treated to espresso and imported chocolates (you listening Aaron?). I'm sure there are customers who can appreciate the marble floors and flat screen TVs but most of us just want our cars fixed well at a reasonable price.

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
An '05 MBZ E-320 CDI (W-211) replaced the '10 TDI JSW
Where was This Done

Thanks for the link. Sounds like it might be worth the drive. It's probably about 30 miles or so from me. It doesn't seem like there are many choices is the inland empire...
At what dealership was this done? :confused:

Seems a bit high to me!

:D

DHG

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Just curious, what would your dealership charge for the service mentioned in #6 - ($400 for oil change, air filter and pollen filter changes)?

Dealerships can be a nice experience, I've bought parts at Sunset Porsche-Audi up here and was treated to espresso and imported chocolates (you listening Aaron?). I'm sure there are customers who can appreciate the marble floors and flat screen TVs but most of us just want our cars fixed well at a reasonable price.
Since you asked, I think I am allowed to answer with prices in these forums. I am sure a mod will correct me if I am wrong.

I am not sure if you are wondering about the 40k service (which, at my dealership would also include fuel filter, top off all fluids, reset basic settings, an extensive multi point inspection, car wash and a 1 day car rental), or if you are just wondering about those 3 services. So I will break it down as much as I can.

If you want the whole 40k service, we charge $389.95 (not including the DSG service which is $299.95).

If you want just the Oil Change, it is $69.95

The Air Filter replacement is $37.95

The Pollen Filter is $52.95

All of these prices include labor, but tax is additional.

ramb02

TDI
2010 VW JSW TDI
Since you asked, I think I am allowed to answer with prices in these forums. I am sure a mod will correct me if I am wrong.

I am not sure if you are wondering about the 40k service (which, at my dealership would also include fuel filter, top off all fluids, reset basic settings, an extensive multi point inspection, car wash and a 1 day car rental), or if you are just wondering about those 3 services. So I will break it down as much as I can.

If you want the whole 40k service, we charge $389.95 (not including the DSG service which is $299.95).

If you want just the Oil Change, it is $69.95

The Air Filter replacement is $37.95

The Pollen Filter is $52.95

All of these prices include labor, but tax is additional.

Thanks for responding. I don't think you violated any rules since we asked. Comparisons here are a bit hard, since my bill breaks down parts separately from labor. My bill does say "40 K service" on it.

It specifies labor at $255.
Oil was $45.95
Filter element $9.00
Another filter element $39.50 (maybe one of these was the fuel filter?)
Pollen filter $22.50
Air filter $19.50
Washer $3.00
Total: 394.45 + tax = $405.26

As you stated, this does not include DSG service, which we were quoted another $400 (partly why I decided to look around at my options before paying $400 for DSG service). Apparently your DSG service is about $100 cheaper. Maybe I'll drive to Riverside...

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Oh, ok.

I can make the comparisons a little easier...

The oil and filter from us is $54.00
Air filter is $19.34
Pollen filter is $19.35
Fuel filter is $35.90
Windshield Washer fluid is about the same (Not really sure since I am not at work today)

So the prices look to be very comparable.

ramb02

TDI
2010 VW JSW TDI
Oh, ok.

I can make the comparisons a little easier...

The oil and filter from us is $54.00
Air filter is $19.34
Pollen filter is $19.35
Fuel filter is $35.90
Windshield Washer fluid is about the same (Not really sure since I am not at work today)

So the prices look to be very comparable.

Yes, they do look about the same overall. Although, again you quoted $299.95 for DSG service (I'm assuming that's parts&labor). We were quoted "about another $400" at the time of our 40K service when they called and asked if we wanted DSG service added on. $100 difference seems like a lot (and actually what it was that got me shopping around for future service options).

MartinDK108

TDI
Jetta MKv 06
I am new here, but I'd like to point out, living in Los Angeles, the handful of dealerships or "stealerships" have different prices for the same service, so shopping around not only with different shops, but different dealers might help save a few dollars.

It's funny some services are priced fairly similar, only by a few dollars, but other services were grossly different. It's been a while since i've been to a dealership, mainly because i'm 15k passed my warranty. So i'm looking into local mechanics (yelp only helps so much-not with tdi's).

Last edited:

ramb02

TDI
2010 VW JSW TDI
It appears you may be correct. It appears my dealer and the one represented here have a $100 difference in DSG service for example. If you are new here and looking for someone to service your TDI, there are some suggestions in this thread already that may suit you as well. Thanks.

MJGolfer

TDI
2015 Golf TDI
I live in Ventura County, any recommendations for independent TDI service in the Thousand Oaks area?