Excessive soot accumulation replaced DPF

fase2000TDI

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jettawagon TDI; 2015 GSW 6MT
Friend of mine bought his daughter a 2011 Jetta. She was so appreciative she decided to go over a speed bump in excess of the suspensions capabilities, or likely drove over a median. Either way, she claims she "just went over a speed bump". The car was then driven (upon advice of a dealership) over 100 miles round trip to the dealership where the car was purchased, at which point it was found that the intercooler had been broken - an area of about 2" diameter hole as well as the radiator support. This would obviously not be covered under warranty.

Vehicle was towed to a body shop at that point where said friend is friends w/ the owner. A new VW DPF was put on due to an excessive soot accumulation code. (likely relating due to driving with no boost, excessive soot clogged the DPF). I was asked to clear the DPF code after the new DPF was put on, but as soon as I clear it the code returns. The code I get is:
1 Fault Found:

009315 - Diesel Particle Filter
P2463 - 000 - Excessive Soot Accumulation - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 11100000
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Mileage: 27703 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2019.14.26
Time: 16:07:46

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 828 /min
Speed: 0.0 km/h
Pressure: 3 mbar
Hex Value: 0xFF02
Temperature: 84.0°C
(no units): 45.9
Mileage: 310 km

No sensors were replaced. Those of you with DPF replacement experience, what do you suggest? This isn't a car I'm servicing - I'm just trying to help a friend in need. I'm at a loss of what should be done - other than sell the car and give the daughter a car deserving of her poor driving habits. Perhaps a Geo Metro or a Chevrolet Prism.

scdevon

Veteran Member
TDI
None
If the car took a shot to the front end like that, it may have a damaged wiring harness. Even though it isn't throwing a code for the DPF diff. pressure sensor, the sensor may have been damaged or that portion of the harness may have been damaged.

The DPF is likely ok at that mileage.

fase2000TDI

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jettawagon TDI; 2015 GSW 6MT
If the car took a shot to the front end like that, it may have a damaged wiring harness. Even though it isn't throwing a code for the DPF diff. pressure sensor, the sensor may have been damaged or that portion of the harness may have been damaged.

The DPF is likely ok at that mileage.
Car was driven with no boost for over 150 miles wot to keep speed.
New dpf. Ideas? You think differential pressure sensor is shot?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Car was driven with no boost for over 150 miles wot to keep speed.
Even though it was WOT, it was also in limp mode (if the ECU doesn't get the boost it demaned, broken IC, you go into instant limp mode) which shouldn't soot everything up.

But on the other hand I'd be real curious how those sensors look, if they are clogged or junked up, then you could get a false MIl.

Scott_D

TDI
1996 Passat 1999.5 Jetta
the ash content is measured by the ecu and gives the DPF code when the ash exceeds a certain level. the measurement is stored in the ECU and needs to be erased, how I do not know, but just changing the DPF will not clear this code..