rabbit pickup 1Z swap with possible ecu issues

mreilly44

TDI
1Z swapped into a 1981 rabbit pickup
I have a 1Z tdi from a 96 passat with the 028 906 021 BK ecu swapped into a 1981 rabbit pickup. The truck was running fine and then a couple weeks ago I went to move it around and the battery was dead. Jumped it, got it to start, and the throttle was almost non responsive. Now it won't start at all.

We had a bit of rain and some wiring had gotten wet. All non ecu related wiring is working correctly. throttle isn't working and it seems like the injection pump isn't engaging to give the truck fuel as the main culprits for it not starting.

I have been looking for a replacement ecu to try, in case this one is fried. Is there any way to run a test on the ecu to check it? Also is there some sort of database of all the different suffixes for the ecu's? It seems like there are a thousand different suffixes on these things, ha. If there isn't a database, it might be helpful to compile one with everyone's knowledge here.

I know that the GQ suffix is the upgrade, but it is hard to track down. Is there anywhere that sells just the GQ chip? I have found a GM (028 906 021 GM) Suffixed ecu from an Audi, will that plug n play with my 1z engine?

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
Look for faryed injection pump wires, sometimes the plastic loom will wear away at the insulation.