Buyback this week - what a shame!

Tony45

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI 2-door 6MT (BB - 4/18)
Buyback this week .......

Giving back a pristine Golf with 33,200 miles and perfect otherwise (just needs a set of tires). The sad part here is that it’s 2-door and 6 speed manual (a purist diesel); I suspect VW might consider the limited marketability of this car and decide to crush it regardless of the great shape it’s in.
The car took me out of hurricane Irma’s harm and showed off the diesel’s driving endurance capability (the longer you drive, the better it drives) AMAZING! An unexpected great deal on a new car made it unwise to keep it for a few more months. Will be missed ...........

Last edited:

CHawk

TDI
2011 Golf TDI 4D DSG (gone buyback)
Google your VIN in a few weeks. I suspect with perfect condition and low miles, it will end up back on your dealer's used-car lot to be driven by an appreciative owner, probably a long-distance commuter.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Friend of mine just bought a 2-door '14 Golf that VW had bought back. It'll probably be re-sold.

Why aren't you keeping it?

Tony45

Veteran Member
TDI
Friend of mine just bought a 2-door '14 Golf that VW had bought back. It'll probably be re-sold.
Why aren't you keeping it?
After my retirement, my driving routine has changed. The Golf now is a city car with just about 6K miles a year; I have another car for w/e travel. I managed to find a great car and a great deal on a ‘14 BMW X1 with under 10K on the clock and in like new condition. The total out of pocket difference between the buyback and the Bimmer is $52 (including all taxes and fees). Mileage now has little effect on my decision making.

Last edited:

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
I agree with IBW. The BMW is a nice car but in the end, I don't think your driving experience will be much different. Yeah the Bimmer is a more prestigious car and more costly to maintain that's about it

Tony45

Veteran Member
TDI
To me, taking the “fix” was never an option; it was either chosing the buyback or do nothing at all and keep driving. Hope it finds a good home.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Someone will get a nice car, it sounds like. Good luck with the BMW.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
I am struggling with my loved TREG 2012 TDI. 57k miles and in perfect condition. So far no fix and I hate everything VW has to offer to replace it. I may go Q5,but I don't think they offer it with the 3.0 engine now and I need towing capability.

I really don't want to go Toyo. I have another yr to hope something good shows up.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I looked at a new leftover '16 Touareg yesterday. They're out there. Leftover Q5 TDIs have the same 3.0L TDI.

Tony45

Veteran Member
TDI
I am struggling with my loved TREG 2012 TDI. 57k miles and in perfect condition. So far no fix and I hate everything VW has to offer to replace it. I may go Q5,but I don't think they offer it with the 3.0 engine now and I need towing capability.
I really don't want to go Toyo. I have another yr to hope something good shows up.
I was at the dealer today (turn in) and looked around for Tuareg TDI or Q5 TDI with no luck. However, I have seen multiple Q5 TDI in the last couple of months; they don’t stay for long.

fookin

Veteran Member
TDI
A3
Giving back a pristine Golf with 33,200 miles and perfect otherwise (just needs a set of tires). The sad part here is that it’s 2-door and 6 speed manual (a purist diesel); I suspect VW might consider the limited marketability of this car and decide to crush it regardless of the great shape it’s in.
The car took me out of hurricane Irma’s harm and showed off the diesel’s driving endurance capability (the longer you drive, the better it drives) AMAZING! An unexpected great deal on a new car made it unwise to keep it for a few more months. Will be missed ...........
Saved you from a hurricane? Did it have wheels and maybe windshield wipers? A roof even? It's just a car like all other cars. I find it interesting how people get so attached to a mobility device. BTW, you didn't have to sell it back. You didn't have to do anything at all.

tdi54

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Diesel(sold), 2009 Jetta TDI MT(sold)2010 Jetta TDI MT, 2015 Jetta TDI SEL, DSG, 99 Ford F 350 PSD Dually, 2016 BMW X5 xDrive35d, 2016 535d
I also have uneasy feeling for my Jetta that is going to be buyback soon even though it has now over 200K miles, it's still in perfect condition. So I certainly understand you giving back the Golf with only 33K miles.
Thanks to epa/carbs and to some extend to VW putting us into this mess.

Tony45

Veteran Member
TDI
Saved you from a hurricane? Did it have wheels and maybe windshield wipers? A roof even? It's just a car like all other cars. I find it interesting how people get so attached to a mobility device. BTW, you didn't have to sell it back. You didn't have to do anything at all.
Do you say the same thing about humans (they have two legs a head and an ass), or maybe a dog .......

Clearly you didn’t read my other entries in this thread ...... reading one is not like reading them all!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I find it interesting how people get so attached to a mobility device.
Do you feel the same way about where you live? I know I don't. But it's just four walls and a roof, right?

The guy I bought my first B4 from used it to escape from Rita (New Orleans) with his wife on oxygen and German Shepard. 90 degrees and raining. The Passat idled for 10 hours in traffic at a dead stop halfway to Houston, A/C running. All the cars and trucks around him ran out of fuel. That car may have helped prolong his wife's life. I could get attached to that.

A lot of family events have involved my TDI in the past 16 years. Some happy, some tragic. But the car is part of that history. It'll be a sad day when it finally leaves us.

Last edited:

diesel power

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta MKVI 2014 Jetta MKIV 2001
Do you feel the same way about where you live? I know I don't. But it's just four walls and a roof, right?

The guy I bought my first B4 from used it to escape from Rita (New Orleans) with his wife on oxygen and German Shepard. 90 degrees and raining. The Passat idled for 10 hours in traffic at a dead stop halfway to Houston, A/C running. All the cars and trucks around him ran out of fuel. That car may have helped prolong his wife's life. I could get attached to that.

A lot of family events have involved my TDI in the past 16 years. Some happy, some tragic. But the car is part of that history. It'll be a sad day when it finally leaves us.
Well said...

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.

According to cars.com, there's 9 2015 or 2016 Q5 or Toureg 3l TDIs within 100 miles of you. They're out there, you just have to search.