3.0 Q7 Wrecked/ Possibly Totaled

BARIIINGS

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Audi Q7 TDI Premium Plus - Hers / 2010 Audi A3 Premium Plus - Boughtback
Unfortunately our 2011 Q7 was wrecked yesterday in the storms out East. We were planning to turn the car in late 2019 for the buyback amount.
We are concerned the insurance company may total it and I have been looking for the details on this part of the settlement and have not been able to find it.
Theres light damage on the right side of the car that Im not really worried about, just scratches. But the right front Wheel does not move at all, Im guessing when she hit the concrete barrier, the wheel hit and broke some part of the suspension, control arms, cv boots or something.
Can anyone guide me in which best way to proceed?

skinnyv

TDI
13 passat tdi se
Good luck, this is the risk of holding on to the car and using it more before selling back. We still have our passat that will be sold back in Sept or so and I know this is a possibility.

Worse case scenario, Insurance totals the car and you get the restitution amount owed. Combined those will likely be less than the buyback, but at least its some $$.

Good luck let us know how it goes.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Easy.

DO NOT CLAIM INSURANCE!
DO NOT NOTIFY INSURANCE!

Repair the vehicle on your own dime, once repaired turn the damn thing in immediately!

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
Easy.

DO NOT CLAIM INSURANCE!
DO NOT NOTIFY INSURANCE!

Repair the vehicle on your own dime, once repaired turn the damn thing in immediately!
Was the accident one car, no police? Then you should be good to go as mentioned above. If there was another driver involved and an obligation to notify insurance you may be in a more complicated situation.

2010TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan TDI 6MT, 2010 Jetta SportWagen TDI DSG (sold), 2014 Jetta Sedan TDI DSG (sold), 2015 Golf SportWagen TDI DSG
We were planning to turn the car in late 2019 for the buyback amount.
Without seeing the car (pics?), it is hard to say what is going on, but as long as you can get that wheel to turn you probably have a pretty good chance of taking advantage of the full buyback. Fixing it may not be that much of an issue... or it could be a huge money pit depending on if you are unable to do it yourself and what parts need to be replaced to get it driving again. I have seen quite a few crashed 2.0L buybacks but have not personally seen any 3.0L buybacks.

I had no idea the 3.0L settlement extended so much longer than the 2.0L settlement:

Class Members may seek benefits under the Settlement during the Settlement Benefit Period, which runs from the entry of this Order until (1) September 30, 2019 for Generation One vehicles, or (2) April 30, 2020 for Generation Two vehicles.2

https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/wp-content/uploads/documents/3Liter/Approvals/Order%20Granting%20Final%20Approval%20of%203.0L%20Class%20Action%20Settlement.pdf

If you go through insurance and they want to total it, you get restitution only (I think it is safe to assume that insurance value + restitution is going to be less than buyback + restitution):

2. Class Members whose vehicles (i) are damaged after January 31, 2017 in a manner that renders them a total loss (i.e., “totaled”), and (ii) are transferred to an insurance company or otherwise permanently removed from commerce, and who otherwise qualify as Eligible Owners, shall be offered Owner Restitution only, and not a Buyback, Trade-In, or Reduced Emissions Modification.
https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/wp-content/uploads/documents/3Liter/Amended%20Exhibit%201.pdf

DO NOT NOTIFY INSURANCE!
I would think the first step at this point would be to notify insurance. This does not mean that you have to submit/go through with the claim, but at least it gives you the option of dealing with insurance if you have/want to after a more detailed assessment of the damage. I can imagine a worse case scenario where you fail to report the accident, start some sort of repairs, find out that you have bigger issues, and then insurance co decides to play hard-ball because you never reported before starting repairs.

There may be other reasons why you wouldn't report it depending on your policy and what being at fault may do to your premiums in the future, but I think those are supplemental to worrying about repairs and the buyback.

BARIIINGS

Veteran Member
TDI
Damage is not bad per say, but you know how some body shops work and they want to nickel and dime every piece.
Single car accident, she slid on ice into a concrete barricade that was calf high. There will be parts in the suspension that need replaced, and I could do it myself, but dont really have the time. The wife already called the insurance unfortunately. I think it is unlikely it will be "totaled" especially since I explained to the guys that it was taken to, what was going on. They know I just need it to be driving again, and would prefer to continue to drive it till 2019. Ill wait to see what the assessment is. KBB has the car valued between 22-25k. My insurance typically writes them off at 60-75% of value. Its at a shop I know, not their preferred shop.

Last edited:

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
Damage is not bad per say, but you know how some body shops work and they want to nickel and dime every piece.
Single car accident, she slid on ice into a concrete barricade that was calf high. There will be parts in the suspension that need replaced, and I could do it myself, but dont really have the time. The wife already called the insurance unfortunately. I think it is unlikely it will be "totaled" especially since I explained to the guys that it was taken to, what was going on. They know I just need it to be driving again, and would prefer to continue to drive it till 2019. Ill wait to see what the assessment is. KBB has the car valued between 22-25k. My insurance typically writes them off at 60-75% of value. Its at a shop I know, not their preferred shop.
Whatever you do, do not let insurance total the vehicle.

Then, get the thing repaired and roadworthy enough to make it to the Audi dealership. Dump the thing ASAP, take your $$ and buy another vehicle!

BARIIINGS

Veteran Member
TDI
UPDATE:
Insurance did NOT total it! It wasnt as close as I thought it would be. It will be road worthy, and buyback appointment will scheduled in the near future.

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG
UPDATE:
Insurance did NOT total it! It wasnt as close as I thought it would be. It will be road worthy, and buyback appointment will scheduled in the near future.
Will they cut you a check? If so, best outcome!

BARIIINGS

Veteran Member
TDI
Will they cut you a check? If so, best outcome!
Thats what Im working towards. Got the estimate last night, waiting to hear from them this morning.
fingers crossed.

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
Get them to pay YOU directly. Take it to the cheapest, crappiest, shadiest shop you can find. Have them make it barely drivable. PROFITTTTTTT

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
In Oregon we can choose any shop we want for repairs. One shop gave me a very expensive estimate, took the vehicle to another for about half, but insurance paid on the more expensive estimate. Not sure if it's the same everywhere.

I wouldn't hesitate to get that thing back to Audi for the buyback, at all!

BARIIINGS

Veteran Member
TDI
Update: Car is running again and the suspension is in good shape, the bodywork I did myself, and I gotta say for a garage job and a days work it definitely is acceptable!
Just got a check engine light on and had it scanned and showed up a NOx Sensor fault. Is this something that Audi will replace/repair while I have it for the next few months?

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
Just got a check engine light on and had it scanned and showed up a NOx Sensor fault. Is this something that Audi will replace/repair while I have it for the next few months?
No. They won’t replace it (for free you meant, right?)

On the other hand, you can drive the car indefinitely with that particular fault. And it won’t affect turning the car in for a buyback.

:)

BARIIINGS

Veteran Member
TDI
No. They won’t replace it (for free you meant, right?)

On the other hand, you can drive the car indefinitely with that particular fault. And it won’t affect turning the car in for a buyback.

:)
Thanks!