If you are considering buyback which cars are you looking at as replacements?

Borsig

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2015 GSW SEL (buyback), 2011 JSW (sold)
V60
328d wagon.

two years form now, that is.

AmandaSch

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
Possibly a Kia Optima either the 1.6T or EX model and depending on VW offer, maybe the Jetta tsi. May have to wait on the Ferrari a lil' bit longer.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
.... I just drove a 2016 1.8TSI, was pleased with the drive.
Several at the dealership told me of customers that are exceeding 38mpg (H) with the 1.8....
VWvortex reports similar MPG claims for VW JSW/1.8 turbo 5M

ez

Got-TDi?

TDI
2014 Passat SEL
Haven't really decided yet but have been looking....

Was hoping VW would offer additional incentives of TDi owners to get back into another VW. If so, I'd lean towards a GOLF R but until then I'll keep looking and test driving to see what's available for 2017!

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
328d wagon.
This, right here, but I'm thinking in about a year--should give me time to save up enough of a down payment that my payment shouldn't change much. A little apprehensive about the reputation BMWs have on maintenance though.

spheniscus

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen tdi (6sp. man./platinum gray)
Probably a new Golf Sportwagen with the 1.8 and a manual transmission, but haven't driven one with that configuration so the buyback starts rolling I'll weigh it seriously.
I travel a lot with an 18' sea kayak on a roof rack, and like the low roof line (less height to lift over compared to SUVs), the built in roof rails and the length they provide (compared to a Golf 4dr. or other sedan) to spread the bars and better secure the boats in a crosswind.
There are some very nice wagons out there (Volvo, BMW, Audi) but they're out of my price range, the Subarus have an awful rack system last time I looked and are relatively more expensive, and I'm not convinced a smaller wagon-like vehicle (like a Honda Fit) would be anywhere near as capable on a long 1000+ mile trip.
If VW gets their own diesel sorted out, I'll be looking at one of those too. :)

Borsig

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2015 GSW SEL (buyback), 2011 JSW (sold)
This, right here, but I'm thinking in about a year--should give me time to save up enough of a down payment that my payment shouldn't change much. A little apprehensive about the reputation BMWs have on maintenance though.

depends on the BMW you get.

my 335i was a POS. Blew 2 HPFP's and with the staggered tires, you couldnt rotate them, and it ate tires like a fat girl eats twinkies.

sold it at 33K and never looked back.

The other option is a GSW 1.8. But U doubt VW will give me enough off of one to buy one.

The diesels though, without a staggered setup - maybe not so much.

Ive got 2 years to do research and see road reviews.

bring

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta SEL, DSG
depends on the BMW you get.

my 335i was a POS. Blew 2 HPFP's and with the staggered tires, you couldnt rotate them, and it ate tires like a fat girl eats twinkies.

sold it at 33K and never looked back.

I bought an '01 325xi new and had it for 15 years until I traded it in last year for my TDI. Best car I've ever owned. It's one of the reasons I'm looking for a used MINI to hold me over until I find something that I'll be happy with long-term.

Last edited:

inthered

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
I'm thinking Mazda6 GT with tech pkg. It is rated 40mpg like the DSG Passat TDI. I know I know it will suck off the line for acceleration.
Thanks for the recommendation. I like the tech package however I'm still more of a stick guy. The GT also cost a lot more from the get go.

Have you had experience with the Mazda line?

Nuttendiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL with Malone 1.5 tune, 2014 535d, 2008 F250 6.4
I'm gonna drive the NMS until my Tesla Model 3 materializes. That's about the closest I could come up with in terms of replacement.

I'm surprised at only one mention of the model 3 with nearly 400,000 reserved, (2 of them for me) i'm very happy to have the time to wait until 2018 to do the buyback and hope that Tesla gets me my cars in time to take advantage of the full federal tax credits!

jhinsc

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Test drove the Sonata Hybrid yesterday - it's definitely on the my replacement list. But a new Passat SEL Premium will also be equally weighted since the Passat in general meet all my needs. Plus, I can chip the 1.8t!

knownikko

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat 6MT
I'm surprised at only one mention of the model 3 with nearly 400,000 reserved, (2 of them for me) i'm very happy to have the time to wait until 2018 to do the buyback and hope that Tesla gets me my cars in time to take advantage of the full federal tax credits!

Same. I'm very pleased with the timing of this, provided Tesla can find a way to stick somewhat close to their schedule (big if at this point but I'm optimistic). I'm in California and reserved in-store prior to the reveal.

When I started looking around for comparably priced cars to the Passat with the interior space, torque, range, and operating cost, the list was pretty short. Some people might argue the "range" point, but for my driving the only thing better than only needing to go to a fuel station every 800 miles is charging at home and never going to one again.

I do about 30k miles a year, and even with the great economy of the TDI and California's relatively high electricity costs, I'll save at least $100 a month in "fuel" costs.

MHC48

TDI
2009 TDI DSG
Back in '09 I was so hot for a TDI that I compromised on a Jetta sedan instead of the Sportwagen & manual transmission I wanted. Still, I've come to love it. In the almost 8 years and 121k miles I've had my JSW, I've never had any of the costly repairs some others have had. I'm used to the tank with torque & speed of it and love pulling up to the diesel pumps (especially when everyone else was waiting on long lines for gas after Sandy).

But my needs have also changed. With all 3 kids graduated from college and working nearby I no longer am putting the miles on I used to. And though I've never had more than a minor fender bender, I know I'm the kind of driver who would benefit greatly from all the new electronic safety features you can now get on VWs, Subarus and other cars. Plus I'll probably be retiring in 2 yrs so it might be a good idea to take the 12-13k, put it to a new car and pay off as much as possible while the cash is still coming in.

Since last week the JSW has been in the garage while I drive the '07 Jetta my son no longer needs living in the City. I'll wait to see the final proposal and if/what offers dealers make. Driving my son's old car reminds me how much I prefer a stick. So, if there's a decent VW promo, I'll take the cash, wait a while and maybe trade in the '07 as well for a manual 4WD Sportwagen, Alltrack if they come out with a manual or maybe even a GTI. Failing that, probably a Subaru.

ctnatureboy

Veteran Member
TDI
mk7 Golf R 6MT
Haven't really decided yet but have been looking....

Was hoping VW would offer additional incentives of TDi owners to get back into another VW. If so, I'd lean towards a GOLF R but until then I'll keep looking and test driving to see what's available for 2017!
I like the Golf R too but even for the 2017MY the US spec cars don't get the LED til lights, movable armrest, or pano sunroof which I absolutely love on my JSW. If VW offers a loyalty incentive and I can find a one appointed to my taste I'll go for it otherwise I'm moving on to a BMW M4.

ottomatic

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golfwagen SE 6MT
I was @ an MB dealership today looking @ MB's. A guy drove in an 06 Jetta doing the same thing. Sunday no sales people= not being bothered.
Guy with 06 also has a 14. Never heard of TDI Club. Gave him a heads up as his wife owns a 14. Perhaps he will register.
I am planning on buying a used MB.

Fav40

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL (BB 2/17/17) 2017 Passat V6 SEL Premium
I'd consider a 1.8T Passat if it gets a DSG. Or a Passat or CC with VR6.

Maybe an Audi A4 too

njn63

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup
Probably going to be buying a tow vehicle for the track car. Haven't looked too seriously but it's either going to be a larger SUV or a truck.

I'm very likely going to be relocating for a new job soon so fuel economy will no longer be a concern. If that falls through I'll look at a cheaper sedan that gets around 30mpg (Acura TSX or something along those lines).

Mike91326

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Would like to see what deals the dealers (VW and others) will be offering once the buyback starts. Right now I'm looking at the 2017 Volt or the new 2017 Cruze Diesel.

RollingCoal

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Tdi SEL
I'm going to be going right to the Audi dealer and putting cash down on a new 2.0 a3 sportback with manual trans. Oh wait.... Damnit Audi! I've been wanting to get an Audi since I bought the tdi but none of the models in the us come with options I want which is first and foremost a manual transmission. The 2017 sportback looks amazing and I'm sure it's not going to come here like every year. They should look at gti sales and realize that the market for a sporty hatch is there and many consumers want a more upscale version. I know I know the golf R right? They're like vaporware in my area and I'm not spending 4K over MSRP on one.

Without getting into a much more expensive car I don't know what other than a GTI ticks all the boxes for me right now. I am waiting fingers crossed that when the '17 a3 configurator goes live on Audi USA that a manual trans will be there but I'm not hopeful at all.

jptbay

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Beetle, 2006 Jetta Wagon
Call me crazy, but I've got a 2016 Buick Regal rental right now with a turbo 2.0 litre 4 cylinder 260 hp and I kind of like it. Made in Canada too.

Available manual transmission in FWD only. Car can also be optioned with AWD.

bglf83

TDI
Jetta
Well, I am considering a Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel or the rumored Jeep Wrangler diesel.

Mileage is not the same, I would loose around 12 mpg I think vs the Jetta.

I looked at the BMW and MB options, but if I am looking at that kind of money I will go with The Jeep SUV.

I already have a GMC Canyon diesel.

Fav40

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL (BB 2/17/17) 2017 Passat V6 SEL Premium
Call me crazy, but I've got a 2016 Buick Regal rental right now with a turbo 2.0 litre 4 cylinder 260 hp and I kind of like it. Made in Canada too.

Available manual transmission in FWD only. Car can also be optioned with AWD.

Should be pretty close to the Caddy version too. Those #'s with AWD should be fun.

Itzed

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Would anybody consider the 1.4tsi Jetta, in maybe th se trim? I love my Passat, but I also like a smaller, lighter car, that's a little more nimble on back roads. I know it's a step down, but it looks kind of appealing to me. At least for today anyway. ��

rjacobs

TDI
2015 Jetta S 6mt
Im all over the place:

Mazda 3 touring 6MT hatch
Ford Fiesta SFE hatch
Honda Fit
Used Chevy Colorado(04-05ish and do a 6.0 LS/4l80 junkyard swap into it)

Probably 2-3 other cars im also considering. I had a bad experience with Hynda

Usually when I buy a car I pretty much know exactly what I want and I go buy it. This time, I dont really know. Like most of you I am struggling to find something that is "comparable" to the TDI, but I dont think anything exists.

Shaeet

TDI
12' JSW with mods, 05 Golf GLS 5spd
I am 90% likely going to be taking the buyback on my car for a couple of reasons: 1: its nearing its timing belt change (101k miles now) and 2: its transmission is having weird shifting issues that I don't want to have to worry about. Also I got my car for $12.5 back in 2013 and while I've spent plenty of money on maintenance, window tint and other things I won't really be losing any money taking the $13.2k they will give me for it + $5.6k settlement money.

Outside of the two aformentioned issues, I feel my 2012 JSW is a damn-near perfect beater/daily driver for me and I'm considering selling it back and going back to hunting for a 2011-2014 JSW or 2015+ GSW TDI if dealerships aren't allowed to sell their used ones back. I'll get one with substantially fewer miles and in perfect condition and swap all my aftermarket stuff over to it.

I previously owned a 2005 Pontiac Vibe and 2004 Toyota Matrix and honestly I would go back to one of those as a beater in a heartbeat as well but I like the quietness and refinement of the JSW and both have about the same level of utility. I am considering it though since I can get a good 05-08 Matrix for under 5 grand all day long and they are super-reliable vehicles.

I've also been eyeing a Mazda5 but they are kinda odd looking. 6 passenger mini-minivan sounds kinda enticing though but they get low-mid 20's fuel econ and are slow as piss so I'm not sure I'd like it in the long term.

banshee365

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta
I'm a VW lover at heart. But, the expanding family is pushing us out of the Passat. For a mid-size sedan I would choose the Passat over any other model, even if the TDI doesn't come back. But I'll take a TDI over a gasser any day. We're planning to sell the Passat back to VW in 2018 and put the nearly $27k down payment on a slightly used Toyota Sequoia or new 4Runner. The fuel economy is nearly 1/3 that of the Passat but the extra room for the kids and the towing ability for my trailer are huge positives. If fuel goes insane again it would be much harder to drive which is why I'm looking at the 4Runner too as it's 20+mpg instead of the Sequoia's 15 mpg.

I would love to get into a new TDI Touareg but the price's are nuts for new ones and the size is small for an SUV in America.

Jimmy Coconuts

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW, 2010 Jetta, 2011 Q7 Prestige, 2012 A3 Premium, 2013 A3 Premium Plus, 2014 Beetle, 2015 Jetta
I may get two cars: something cheap/simple/reliable for a daily commuter, and something fun for the evenings, weekends, etc.

Thinking Honda Fit with the CVT for A==>B (wife would be happy ), and a Jeep Rubicon Unlimited with the 6 speed manual (wife can't drive it, so I'm happy).

ecupip

TDI
2012 TDI
Jetta hybrid or cruze diesel....Jetta hybrid doesn't seem promising though since a lot of reviews and drivers can't seem to get anywhere near the EPA highway figures :-/