Are these electrical issues related?

nicole'sjetta

TDI
2003 Jetta
And if so how can i fix them???

Here are the symptoms:

1) early december the front drivers door didn't seem to recognize it was closed. Door ajar light and all interior lights stayed on with the door closed. Steering wheel controls didn't work. The window switches didn't work and I seem to remember the radio didn't shut off. Cluster lights were dim. After being parked with doors locked for about 20 minutes the problem cleared up and didn't reoccure.

2) last week the trunk would no longer release with the key fob or door panel switch. The actuator seemed to make a noise but the latch didn't release. Had to open trunk with the key.

3) today i can't lock the doors and initally the door ajar light would not turn off even when checking all doors. Doors won't lock with the key fob and when i try locking manually they lock for a second and then pop up. Same thing when I use the lock switch on the trim panel. Trunk latch actuator no longer makes any noise when i try and unlock.

The wire that runs near the hinge on the left side is split......not sure what that harness is for.

Anyone have a suggestion on what could be causing these issues? I'd hate to take it in for toubleshooting without having a pretty good idea of the problem. If it's not too complicated i'd probably try and fix it myself.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Lost my first post somewhere..
There is a micro switch in the door handle. There is a "How-to" for repairing it. Try doing some searches to see if they match your issue.
Also there is a bunch of ground wire connections under the battery tray. Its fairly common (especially in road salt areas) for these to corrode and cause random electrical issues. Might have to pull the battery out and have a look and/or do some more searching for related issues.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
1 and 3 are related. Until you get it fixed, double tap the unlock button just prior to locking