Concerns about Emissions Modification Phase 2 for 2015 TDIs

crustodd

TDI
Buying an '09-'12 JSW
If you own an MKVI model, how is IT affected by this current info? I'm considering buying an MKVI wagon. The extended warranty would be nice as I drive about 40K a year. I'll likely do a Molone tune and Rawtek exhaust, which would eliminate the EGR, DPF. Would that negate the warranty?

Thanks for the input

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
If you own an MKVI model, how is IT affected by this current info? I'm considering buying an MKVI wagon. The extended warranty would be nice as I drive about 40K a year. I'll likely do a Molone tune and Rawtek exhaust, which would eliminate the EGR, DPF. Would that negate the warranty?

Thanks for the input
My strong recommendation to anyone who gets the fix done (and gets the warranty that goes along with it), is to not do ANYTHING to the vehicle that would call the warranty into question until the warranty is over. No chipping, no exhaust system modifications, no supplementary fuel system filters to protect the HPFP, no nothing. Leave it absolutely bone stock until that extended warranty is over (give or take, depending on your comfort level).

crustodd

TDI
Buying an '09-'12 JSW
2015 DSG performance

OK, so as a matter of due dilligence, IF I went with a 2015, are the "quirks" of the previous years of DSG's resolved in the 2015 models OR does the phase I or II "fixes" cure their quirks? Would a manual be the best way to go? (if I can find one)

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
OK, so as a matter of due dilligence, IF I went with a 2015, are the "quirks" of the previous years of DSG's resolved in the 2015 models OR does the phase I or II "fixes" cure their quirks? Would a manual be the best way to go? (if I can find one)
First, you ask about warranty on a modified emission controlled exhaust then you ask about quirks of the dsg. What quirks? What are you looking for? The dsg is a very reliable transmission if you want a manual then go for it

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,

the DSG is a DSG is a DSG, everyone noticed some issues with it. They will be there if its a TDI GTI or TSI. Any of the emissions fixes prob don't alter the DSG quirks enough to notice. WIth phase 1 fix people have notice the shifting patern is altered slightly. What are the quirks that you're concerned about, the laggyiness of the DSG sometimes?

Lot of people noticed that "hill crest power lag" of the Gen 1 cars, or the 2,000 rpms cold stutter of the EGR systems cycling of the Gen 1. Those were all taken care of when the Mk7 EA288 came out.

One thing that can be done for the mk7 that really improves the driving characteristics is changing the throttle response setting to direct instead of gradual over time, as well as reducing the starting vibration, both have had great results in improving power delivery on the MK7 TDI as well as TSI.

Last edited: