(Former) 9W2 owners rejoice! Class Action Settlement

glennmax

TDI
Golf VI
Boiler_1, Welome to TDIClub.
... I'll see if I can find some time to get a picture of the module.
Taking a picture of the label on this installed settlement module would be very cool. I haven't seen one and from what we understand, the module is not one of the 9w7 part numbers. The picture that you post, might be the first picture of one of these "white elephants" on the internet. Thank you for your posts.

Mr. Timewise

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta SE 2.5L Tip (gasser)
I have upgrade card.... Thinking of staying with what I have, 9W2 I assume.

I read through this thread and confused?

The new box give me contact list on MDI, but that is all.
Does it have voice activation, dialing, hang up?
Overhead green BT connect LED becomes inoperative but chime can be programed?

Will it read my Android HTTC Evo 4G phone's contacts?
So do we get a 9W3 or 9W7 box or some hybrid settlement box to meet bare min requirements?

Inquiring minds need to know.
All your questions are answered in this thread:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=260897

boiler_1

TDI
2010 TDI JSW
Ok, here is the picture. Sorry for the poor quality. The numbers that are unreadable at the top are "USA 051 473" and "SW: 3510". I should also amend my previous description of the functionality to say that the bluetooth menu in the MFD is only available if you are actively talking on the phone or using A2DP. So really the only way to know if you are connected is to look at your phone OR press the button on the overhead. It will say something about not "no bluetooth connected" or "Main Menu" depending on if it detects a device.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
All your questions are answered in this thread: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=260897
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=260897[/QUOTE]FirstALL but one of my questions are relevant to this thread, settlement upgrade unit. The 26 page thread you suggested does NOT answer my questions. If it does please tell me what page. I'll try again. These questions are to summarize this thread and get concurance so far. A simple yes or no will do.

The new box is not a 9W7 and it gives contact list on MDI, but that is all? Yes or No?

Does it have voice activation, dialing? Yes or No?

Overhead green BT connect LED becomes inoperative but chime can be programed? Yes or No?

Bottom line have we determined that we get a 9W3 or 9W7 box or some hybrid settlement box to meets bare min requirements? Yes or No?

Does the Android HTC Evo 4G phone contacts work with the system (please don't reference that 26 page thread)? Yes or No?
(Mine works great for streaming Pandora stereo music and getting calls and hanging up, but that's it. I may have a 9W3 that only needs programing? Can I just pull the seat and the unit cover to see? Yes or No?

scirocco*joe

TDI
2010 JSW
How about these two locations? I have purchased items from CarSystems in Poland a couple times...3 day delivery...faster than anything via eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l2736&_nkw=7P6+035+730

http://www.carsystems.pl/?f=&a=sklep&k=0&q=7P6035730&x=23&y=17

or this one from the UK (I have the 5K0 035 730 in my 2010 Jetta)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-SEAT-SKO...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3379bddd14
Those all indeed look to be 9W7 units. However, none are under $200. Around $300-325 shipped seems to be the consensus. Not flaming you, just want to get the straight story, as the more feedback I hear from this settlement, the more I'm thinking I will be installing myself.

Oops, I stand corrected, the eBay auction indeed is $140 plus shipping. But the rest are around €200.

What are the big differences between the 9W3 and 9W7 units?

Last edited:

simoco

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI S
Well this sucks, I hope this is just a bunch of confusion and we are getting the 9w7 installed. I guess time will tell as more people get the upgrade.

Mike_S

TDI
Sportwagen TDI 2010
Well, I got the lawsuit "upgrade" Friday. What a complete joke. I guess we were expecting something for nothing, and just did not get it. I think we all expected voice command through the car audio and an active phone section in the MFD.

My advice is to drop the card into the trash, unless you want voice dialing through your phone, which means you have to dig it out, and take a hand off the wheel. I already do that to speed dial it.

Lawyers made a lot of money and VW said "FU" to the whole thing. Since there was no finding in the case, the solution offered is as narrow as the charge in the suit permitted - i.e. no opportunity for "damages" in the form of everyone receiving a 9W3 or 9W7. For the future, just be aware that civil cases are extremely flexible affairs.

Given the cost of the suit in lawyer time, for which they have insurance, it was fairly easy for VW to whip out a 'special' by re-labling stock of old "L" BW modules or having a small batch made up. I suspect the former is the case.

I'm going back on Monday to tell them to put the original BT module back in. Along with every thing else not good about it, my Nokia 580i now beeps every minute after it connects until I find it, and hit "Yes" for permission for VW BT to read the sim card. I don't care why or what it is. It is going back.

Cheers,
==m==

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Going back may only be possible if they retained or gave you the parts they removed. Good luck.

mysql

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta wagon
Being able to voice-call out, but losing the LED showing a connection.

That doesn't sound horrible. It might be worth it if the MFD has an alternate way of confirming the phone is connected (like a Bluetooth icon in the MFD).

If there's nothing to replace the LED, I am fine with keeping the 9w2 and just using my phone's voice capabilities to voice-call out. It's been okay to live with for 2.5 years.

For anyone else worried about the light, if you're using an Android phone, you can install the Tasker application. It allows you to define actions and activities based on time, location, actions... one action I use is when BT mates, is to speak "Lets go!", and increase BT volume to max.

Thus the green LED doesn't do anything for me since the car is telling me to get moving. :)

motoblue

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf DSG
Okay, just got back from my appointment. I reviewed the manual supplement before I gave the okay to install the settlement module. For background, I have a RCD-510, Dynaudio (don't think that matters any), and the original unit was a 9w2. I've used the same phone for the past 4 years (gasp), it's a Samsung flip phone, the Alias 2 (at Verizon they diplomatically call it a feature phone). It has a music player, but to be honest I've never used the ADP features of the 9w2 with it.

Further background: We also have a 9w7 with a RNS-315 in a 2012 Tiguan, and this same phone, though it always pairs as the secondary (i.e., when my mom's phone, a more modern LG flip phone, isn't already paired as the primary), has never been able to load my phonebook, so I've never had a phonebook, even with the 9w7. My mother has the phonebook with the 9w7. If I were being really thorough about checking out the UHV, I guess I would try to pair hers and see how functional it is, but to be honest, I'm reluctant to try since the UHV seems to be working okay right now.

By "okay" I mean it's working the same as the 9w2, but now with a functional push-to-talk button but no LED, just as reported by others such as boiler_1 (thanks again) before.

No phonebook, no MFD icon showing a connection, no new phone screen in the MFD (i.e., no true 9w7 features). Pairing was straightforward. I paired it in the parking lot at the dealership. I did turn off the engine to stop by the grocery store on the way home, and it paired automatically when I resumed my trip home as the old unit used to. Audio both calling and receiving was the same as with the 9w2 so nothing lost or gained there. My phone's speed dial still works as it did before. The only thing that didn't work as before was my phone's built-in voice commands, I think because my phone now believes the bluetooth connection is always on (whereas before, the bluetooth would be dormant until my phone actually started dialing, similar to the speed dial). I am a little disappointed in that since the UHV can't import my phonebook, so using the UHV means I have to speak the phone number every time, whereas my phone had a pretty reliable voice-command system of course integrating my phone book. Also, I don't know what effect always-on will have on my phone battery. One of the big reasons I don't have a smartphone is that the battery on my flip, even with bluetooth on, lasts a whole week between charges. I might have to get used to turning it on then off for my 1 hour commute each morning and evening.

Anyway, I scanned the manual supplement as a PDF. It's just one page, so I don't know if it'll help anyone still on the fence. Been awhile since I tried to link a PDF, but hopefully this works: UHV MANUAL.

BTW, I did ask if I would be able to restore my 9w2 if I wasn't happy with the "upgrade" and was told the service center will mail the 9w2 back to VW. I would strongly urge you to check with the SA before they do the swap if you think that it might be an issue.

Last edited:

mickstan

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen
My wife called the service manager first thing this morning about swapping the 9w2 back in. He hasn't called back (6 hours later so far).

EDIT: Called him back at 4:45pm. They sent it back to VW on Friday. He claimed it was a $445 core charge to the dealer until the 9w2 was returned, so they return them asap. 445 bucks! They could have put the RIGHT part in(9w7) for less! He also said they put a 9w7 in for a customer (who bought it on ebay) last fall. Everything worked fine, except they could only get the phone to come out of one side of the speakers, not both sides.

Last edited:

jeb007

TDI
2013 JSW DSG (2010 JSW 6M; traded)
Ok, here is the picture. Sorry for the poor quality. The numbers that are unreadable at the top are "USA 051 473" and "SW: 3510". I should also amend my previous description of the functionality to say that the bluetooth menu in the MFD is only available if you are actively talking on the phone or using A2DP. So really the only way to know if you are connected is to look at your phone OR press the button on the overhead. It will say something about not "no bluetooth connected" or "Main Menu" depending on if it detects a device.

Just curious what type of phone you are using with this?

The module I had installed today is exactly as you pictured here. I've paired two separate Android phones and not been able to see a "Phone" or "Bluetooth" menu on my MFD either during a call or not.

I'm wondering if there might be coding to enable phonebook/call history access on MFD. Though, I saw a picture of the supplement to the Owner's Manual that was to be provided and it makes no mention of being able to use the MFD, so I don't have my hopes up. That said, I thought the call quality was better and I don't get a deafening beep at the end of my call (which I thought might be an issue with my phone).

jeffjeja

TDI
2010 JSW TDI
The only thing that didn't work as before was my phone's built-in voice commands, I think because my phone now believes the bluetooth connection is always on (whereas before, the bluetooth would be dormant until my phone actually started dialing, similar to the speed dial). I am a little disappointed in that since the UHV can't import my phonebook, so using the UHV means I have to speak the phone number every time, whereas my phone had a pretty reliable voice-command system of course integrating my phone book.
First of all, thank you for that very comprehensive and helpful account. One thing I'm a bit confused about though is contained in the portion of your description in the above quote. The supplement you PDF'd seems to indicate that the new device can import the phonebook and respond to names as well as numbers. Have I misinterpreted either what you are saying or the info in the manual that was provided?

motoblue

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf DSG
First of all, thank you for that very comprehensive and helpful account. One thing I'm a bit confused about though is contained in the portion of your description in the above quote. The supplement you PDF'd seems to indicate that the new device can import the phonebook and respond to names as well as numbers. Have I misinterpreted either what you are saying or the info in the manual that was provided?
Sorry, I was rattling off my own experiences with my very old phone, not necessarily the typical experience. I haven't been able to get my phone book to load in any of the VW BT modules, including the most up-to-date 9w7 in our Tiguan, so I just don't know how well that feature works in the settlement unit, but according to the manual (and I can sort of confirm, by some of the messages I got by going through the call-tree-like HELP menu), it should indeed be able to read your phone book.

The UHV settlement unit should be able to import your phonebook so that you can give it a voice command ("call Home" for example), just like the 9w3 or 9w7. But because there is no MFD (or NAV radio) component to the upgrade, you won't see your phone book/be able to scroll through it like you would with the 9w7.

I hope that's more clear.

boiler_1

TDI
2010 TDI JSW
Sorry, I was rattling off my own experiences with my very old phone, not necessarily the typical experience. I haven't been able to get my phone book to load in any of the VW BT modules, including the most up-to-date 9w7 in our Tiguan, so I just don't know how well that feature works in the settlement unit, but according to the manual (and I can sort of confirm, by some of the messages I got by going through the call-tree-like HELP menu), it should indeed be able to read your phone book.

The UHV settlement unit should be able to import your phonebook so that you can give it a voice command ("call Home" for example), just like the 9w3 or 9w7. But because there is no MFD (or NAV radio) component to the upgrade, you won't see your phone book/be able to scroll through it like you would with the 9w7.

I hope that's more clear.
This is correct. The settlement unit does indeed import your phone book. Dialing with contact names (as well as numbers) seems to work just fine. This is all using a Galaxy S3.

witecap4u

TDI
'10 Sportwagen TDI
Got my replacement unit installed today. Had and 11:30 apt. got there around 11:10, they finally took the car back around 11:45, asked for an update at 12:30 and they finally bring it up at 1:00. Had to go ask for the keys at 1:10.....The service advisor had to read over the card and had absolutely no idea what it was for so he had to talk to the parts dept....:mad:

When I got the car, the new unit was in and functional with a piece of paper on the passengers seat on how to operate the unit. I paired my phone with no issue(Verizon/MOTO Droid X Android 2.3.4) and didnt have to use the password. The BT unit comes up as VW Phone on the network list. After a couple seconds the unit requests to download the phone book. Operation is straight forward. Press the button on the roof and the unit chimes and a voice comes up with the menu. The system will read off the phone book if you ask it too but its pretty slow. A2DP operation is as it was before. Also, received a call and was able to answer it with the steering wheel button as before. If you want to see if you phone is connected, you can press the roof button and it will give the normal menu or say phone not connected.

Other than the light not working, I dont think there is any other loss of functionality. Lets hope that the unit can be recoded to allow the MFD menu as I dont see any sign of it currently.

jeb007

TDI
Other than the light not working, I dont think there is any other loss of functionality. Lets hope that the unit can be recoded to allow the MFD menu as I dont see any sign of it currently.
I'm hoping the same thing. :)

Sorry to hear that your experience at the dealer was less than desirable. I dropped mine off and picked it up later, so I'm not sure how long it actually took them. When I called the dealer to order the part and schedule an appointment they did apparently know what I was talking about as they ordered the right part (and it only took 2 days) after only saying "Bluetooth upgrade kit". Bonus points for that!

jeb007

TDI
Those all indeed look to be 9W7 units. However, none are under $200. Around $300-325 shipped seems to be the consensus. Not flaming you, just want to get the straight story, as the more feedback I hear from this settlement, the more I'm thinking I will be installing myself.

Oops, I stand corrected, the eBay auction indeed is $140 plus shipping. But the rest are around €200.

What are the big differences between the 9W3 and 9W7 units?
scirocco*joe - I dig the license plate. Too bad that means that I can't get that one made for my car. :)

simoco

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI S
Well huh, looks like there is nothing holding me back from getting the update. If all I lose is the green light, I think I can live with that. For some reason, when I first read these last few pages it seemed like you lost all sorts of functionality. Must have been just people freaking out , though yes I know it is no 9w7 hence no touch screen or MFD control :'( but still something is better then nothing.

chetstash

TDI
2009 Touareg TDI; Former owner of 2010 JSW TDI
Can anyone who has had the unit installed tell me whether caller ID shows up on the MFD when someone calls?

jeb007

TDI
Can anyone who has had the unit installed tell me whether caller ID shows up on the MFD when someone calls?
There is no caller ID on the MFD. :(

Seems like it would have been easy enough to make it read out the name or number over the radio, but it doesn't do that either.

jeb007

TDI
Well huh, looks like there is nothing holding me back from getting the update. If all I lose is the green light, I think I can live with that. For some reason, when I first read these last few pages it seemed like you lost all sorts of functionality. Must have been just people freaking out , though yes I know it is no 9w7 hence no touch screen or MFD control :'( but still something is better then nothing.
Agreed. I may be wishing I had just gotten a 9w7 and gotten reimbursed (and enjoyed the functionality all that time), but something is definitely better than nothing. Probably better that I don't have something else to play with in the MFD while I'm driving. :D

ESFlash

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 TDI SportWagen 6MT
The part is in and my dealer has me sched for the upgrade on 8/16. However, I'm not sure if this upgrade is worth doing tho.

First:

I'm wondering if the phone book not displaying has to do with more with VCDS coding than the design capabilities of the new module.

According to: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a5/VW-bluetooth-FAQ.htm

VCDS Control Module/Installed/77-Telephone/Coding-07

Changing the 0 = Voice control OFF
to 7 = English

...permits the Phone Book to display on the MFI -- Altho after reading this a few times, it seems like the fone book display only works for RNS-510 GPS but not on the North American RCD 510 Touch Screen Radio (which is what I have).

Sooooooo has anyone played around with the new unit and a VCDS to see if addtnl functionality can be obtained from the upgraded hardware? It seems most dealers and their service departments have clue zero about this part, and I'm thinking some of the problems could be fixed via VCDS tweaks.

Second:

I've continually gotten complaints about the transmitted voice quality on the existing (9W2?) bluetooth that came with the wagon.

There was an earlier post by someone who said they thought voice quality improved on the receiving end with the settlement upgrade. Has anyone else noticed any improvements or changes in fidelity and clarity with the upgrade both in terms of transmission and reception? -------- thanks for any help or insight.

Last edited:

jeb007

TDI
The part is in and my dealer has me sched for the upgrade on 8/16. However, I'm not sure if this upgrade is worth doing tho.

First:

I'm wondering if the phone book not displaying has to do with more with VCDS coding than the design capabilities of the new module.

According to: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a5/VW-bluetooth-FAQ.htm

VCDS Control Module/Installed/77-Telephone/Coding-07

Changing the 0 = Voice control OFF
to 7 = English

...permits the Phone Book to display on the MFI -- Altho after reading this a few times, it seems like the fone book display only works for RNS-510 GPS but not on the North American RCD 510 Touch Screen Radio (which is what I have).

Sooooooo has anyone played around with the new unit and a VCDS to see if addtnl functionality can be obtained from the upgraded hardware? It seems most dealers and their service departments have clue zero about this part, and I'm thinking some of the problems could be fixed via VCDS tweaks.

Second:

I've continually gotten complaints about the transmitted voice quality on the existing (9W2?) bluetooth that came with the wagon.

There was an earlier post by someone who said they thought voice quality improved on the receiving end with the settlement upgrade. Has anyone else noticed any improvements or changes in fidelity and clarity with the upgrade both in terms of transmission and reception? -------- thanks for any help or insight.
The receipt I got from my installation did claim that they performed necessary coding changes. I saw a post of the Owner's Manual supplement that was to be included and there was no mention of MFD functionality. However, I'm still hoping that the unit is CAPABLE of MFD functionality with a VCDS coding change (which I don't have access to). *fingers crossed*.

Personally, I also thought the call quality with the new unit was improved. My wife said that it sounded better when I called her. But, maybe we just *think* it sounds better because we got an "upgrade" (it HAS to be better, right?).

As a side note, sometime in mid-MY2012 the North American RCD-510 radio got HD radio and a phone menu, like the RNS-510.

witecap4u

TDI
'10 Sportwagen TDI
I should have VCDS in a couple days so we'll see.

I have also found the bluetooth Icon button on the roof doesn't appear to do anything or at least it will not kick the unit into a search like with the old unit. i belive the supp. paper says it will cause the unit to scan for 3min.

Our home phone has bluetooth so my cell is connected to it when I get in my car. When I pull away from the house the connection is lost but the car does not connect to the phone. On the old unit, I could press the button a couple times and it would search for a device and would eventually find the phone. With the new unit, I dont see anything happening but will try to monitor it with a non paired device when I get some time.