NHTSA Update on CR HPFP failure investigation

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
I understand your choice of not selling a CR car to avoid potential customer issues with a possible HPFP failure. However, how much do you (or anyone else on this forum, expert or otherwise) know about the real cause? Poor tolerance for inadequate fuel does seem a likely cause of the failure, but there simply has not been enough evidence to support even this. It sounds like you have made the determination that all of the CR cars on the road will have their HPFP blow up. I doubt this will be the case.
And are you saying those who don't agree with your doom and gloom mentality are "sheep"? That's kinda silly.
Just sayin'...

I read Harvs' stance on the subject to be that UNTIL THE CAUSE IS KNOWN, he(HARV) is not willing to stand behind VWs CR equipped products (used cars...).

I don't blame him. I am willing to buy one, but if I were he, I wouldn't want to risk my own business reputation until I had a firm grip on the situation. So while I might be willing to buy one for myself, I wouldn't want to be on the hook for the reliability of a bunch of them that I had sold to the public.

Does this make more sense?

Bill

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
If VW knows the EXACT problem, then they could develop a fix. The failure of the hpfp is the result, not the problem. From the failure posts, it appears to be a mixtures of issues that leads to the hpfp failing. Some failures were caused by gasoline, some by water, some by dirt, some by unknown little gremlins that live within the fuel tank...

One fix is to make a more robust hpfp, which it appears Bosch and VW are trying to do in the multiple generations we know of. With the failure of a 2011, those generational steps are evidently not the final cure.

OILPowered

Veteran Member
TDI
335d (still a TDI, technically)
Are you kidding? Harv is so far to the right he makes Barry Goldwater looks like a Kennedy. As for sheep.........they all follow Rush........right to the ****ter. But hey we can all have different views and still be friends.

Having said that I'll most likely take my car to him for service after the factory warranty goes away. I'm told he's one of the best and I like having a conservative guy keep my car running as it should.

:)
I wasn't trying to be political, or bashing Harv (I know he is well-respected here), just calling him out a little. As I said, I do understand choosing not to sell CR cars until this issue is understood. I just don't think it can be surmised that every car will have a guaranteed failure.

wreck111

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Porsche 991S 2014 2011 A3 TDI
DearXXXXX
We are not able to verify or comment on statements made about the High Pressure Fuel Pump concerns listed on third-party websites. Volkswagen Group of America is cooperating fully with the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration's (NHTSA's) investigation of fuel pump issues in certain Volkswagen and Audi models equipped with 2.0-liter TDI diesel engines. Volkswagen has informed NHTSA that it does not believe the complaints reflect a safety defect in the fuel pump. Volkswagen's own data, which we have presented to NHTSA, suggest that contamination of the diesel fuel that results in a loss of lubrication in the fuel pump may explain many of the observed failures.

In addition to supporting NHTSA's investigation, Volkswagen and Audi will continue to work with customers who have experience fuel system issues in models equipped with our 2.0-liter TDI engine. Volkswagen will examine whether external factors may have resulted in fuel contamination and will work with individual fuel suppliers or other parties as needed. In any event, Volkswagen will continue to cooperate fully with NHTSA's investigation.

Note that the Clean-Diesel TDI engine that will be available in the 2012 Passat Sedan TDI package is of a different design than the 2.0-liter TDI engines currently available on Jetta TDI and Golf TDI models.

Demonstration models of the Passat Sedan will begin arriving later this month, with full inventory arriving in late September-early October.

Signed XXXXXXXX fromVW ( this section added by poster) so the name of the VW rep would be deleted.

This letter makes me feel that VW is trying so kudos' the them. No lets hope they resolve it. I wonder what he meant by different engine on the Passat other then the Euria that is added?

Last edited:

Harvieux

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
06 A5 Pkg.2 w/navi & ASEP
I understand your choice of not selling a CR car to avoid potential customer issues with a possible HPFP failure. However, how much do you (or anyone else on this forum, expert or otherwise) know about the real cause? Poor tolerance for inadequate fuel does seem a likely cause of the failure, but there simply has not been enough evidence to support even this. It sounds like you have made the determination that all of the CR cars on the road will have their HPFP blow up. I doubt this will be the case.

And are you saying those who don't agree with your doom and gloom mentality are "sheep"? That's kinda silly.

Just sayin'...
My comment derives from an accumulation of events from the very beginning of this discovered fiasco. I'm talking about VW's initial and total denial including the unconscionable anquish they put on their customer's (You may need to go back into the archives to get a grasp of the total story to understand our/my accumulative frustration).

I mean come on, even today and even with the NHTSA on their arse in a big time way we still do not have an official announcement (TTBOMK) from VW that there really is a problemo. Even if the actual cause is not known (which is what I've been told), I think VW has a solemn duty to assure their customer's they are on top of this as opposed to the mostly arrogant denial attitude displayed and practiced to date.

I may see this picture from a different perspective because my career has and is totally revolved around TDIs for some 13 years running. In other words, I eat, sleep, drink, and play TDIs. This HPFP ordeal is the icing on the cake which for the first time makes me consider early retirement if it continues without a total and eventual resolution. I mean we have grudgingly put up with the B5 BS assy. issue under a cloak of total denial (I still to this day, refuse to offer B5 TDIs FS). The A5's and their DMFs, cam issues, head liners, EGR coolers, etc. however, these issues are not total kisses of death but, the B5 BS issue was for me.

Maybe other auto mfgs. have just as many issues but to me, I'm going by what we as a whole have been experiencing to date and not using other mfgs. as an excuse or appeasement in regards to "doing the right thing".

So, with the cumulative issues we've experienced through the years and also realizing some were handled decently like the DSG, window regulator clips, flasher, or brake light switch to name a few and then on to this current HPFP issue and the way it's being handled really baffles me that anyone would even consider patronizing such an entity let alone for the reason of a possible ticking time bomb scenario such as this HPFP. It's those who know all this and still patronize that I refer to as sheep. Not the uninformed ones who made an aquisition. Make sense?

So we understand, I realize VW is currently covering this fiasco however, I truly believe it's from being forced to do so due to pressure as opposed to "doing the right thing". The "doing the right thing" is what is becoming extremely rare in our "politically correct" society today. Later!

Conan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GLS TDI
Note that the Clean-Diesel TDI engine that will be available in the 2012 Passat Sedan TDI package is of a different design than the 2.0-liter TDI engines currently available on Jetta TDI and Golf TDI models.

Demonstration models of the Passat Sedan will begin arriving later this month, with full inventory arriving in late September-early October.
Hmmm. This strongly implies that the new Passat will have a totally different HPFP. My understanding was that the 2.0 TDI in the new Passat was the same CR engine used in the JSW, Golf, and Jetta, with the addition of urea injection. Anybody have any more info on that? It could be possible to retrofit the HPFP from the new Passat to older CRs if it's a better design.

birkie

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 jetta wagon, red
The "doing the right thing" is what is becoming extremely rare in our "politically correct" society today. Later!
That might be due to all the cognitive dissonance I see floating around all over the place these days, too :p. However, in the case of the pump I tend to think VWoA is simply behaving in a manner typical of a large corporation: go with the action that maximizes profit and is acceptably legal, that is all. There is no legal requirement or market pressure that they do the right thing, so they won't.

From what I understand, the new Jetta is selling very well. June was the best Jetta sales month ever, the year's sales so far are the best since 2002. TDIs weigh in at 21% of total sales. It looks to me like the market is praising them, not punishing them. They are not required to keep the customer up to date on the HPFP issue in the meantime - so they aren't.

The NHTSA investigation seems to be the only hope for action to those who already have a CR tdi and intend to hold on to it for a long time (or those who would really like to sell used ones in good conscience)

OILPowered

Veteran Member
TDI
Hmmm. This strongly implies that the new Passat will have a totally different HPFP. My understanding was that the 2.0 TDI in the new Passat was the same CR engine used in the JSW, Golf, and Jetta, with the addition of urea injection. Anybody have any more info on that? It could be possible to retrofit the HPFP from the new Passat to older CRs if it's a better design.
Sorry to get off topic, but why is urea injection necessary on the Passat application?

DEZLBOY

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS, Candy White
Hmmm. This strongly implies that the new Passat will have a totally different HPFP.
Respectfully disagree. VW writes that the "engine is a different design." That statement does not address the HPFP. If VW is implying they have fixed the problem, let them come out and say so.

OILPowered

Veteran Member
TDI
My comment derives from an accumulation of events from the very beginning of this discovered fiasco. I'm talking about VW's initial and total denial including the unconscionable anquish they put on their customer's (You may need to go back into the archives to get a grasp of the total story to understand our/my accumulative frustration).

I mean come on, even today and even with the NHTSA on their arse in a big time way we still do not have an official announcement (TTBOMK) from VW that there really is a problemo. Even if the actual cause is not known (which is what I've been told), I think VW has a solemn duty to assure their customer's they are on top of this as opposed to the mostly arrogant denial attitude displayed and practiced to date.

I may see this picture from a different perspective because my career has and is totally revolved around TDIs for some 13 years running. In other words, I eat, sleep, drink, and play TDIs. This HPFP ordeal is the icing on the cake which for the first time makes me consider early retirement if it continues without a total and eventual resolution. I mean we have grudgingly put up with the B5 BS assy. issue under a cloak of total denial (I still to this day, refuse to offer B5 TDIs FS). The A5's and their DMFs, cam issues, head liners, EGR coolers, etc. however, these issues are not total kisses of death but, the B5 BS issue was for me.

Maybe other auto mfgs. have just as many issues but to me, I'm going by what we as a whole have been experiencing to date and not using other mfgs. as an excuse or appeasement in regards to "doing the right thing".

So, with the cumulative issues we've experienced through the years and also realizing some were handled decently like the DSG, window regulator clips, flasher, or brake light switch to name a few and then on to this current HPFP issue and the way it's being handled really baffles me that anyone would even consider patronizing such an entity let alone for the reason of a possible ticking time bomb scenario such as this HPFP. It's those who know all this and still patronize that I refer to as sheep. Not the uninformed ones who made an aquisition. Make sense?

So we understand, I realize VW is currently covering this fiasco however, I truly believe it's from being forced to do so due to pressure as opposed to "doing the right thing". The "doing the right thing" is what is becoming extremely rare in our "politically correct" society today. Later!
Harv, I do understand where you're coming from. I know your perspective is different than most of us here since you live and breathe this cars.

I admit, I was not fully aware of the HPFP issue when I purchased my car. Had I known, my choice may have been different. However, due to the content (no current car rivals the overall package IMO) offered in these cars, I can see why many knowingly take the risk, especially when the cause of the issue has yet to reveal itself.

I'm not sure VW is acting any differently than any other large corporation past or present (automotive or not). Since when has a company acted in the interest of "doing the right thing"? Profit will always come first.

Last edited:

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
Dear Potential Purchaser
We are not able to verify or comment on statements made about the High Pressure Fuel Pump concerns listed on third-party websites as it paints us in a particularly awkward light. Volkswagen Group of America is cooperating fully with the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration's (NHTSA's) investigation of fuel pump issues in certain Volkswagen and Audi models equipped with 2.0-liter TDI diesel engines. Our cooperation is limited to blaming the customer first for every failure alleged to have occurred, evidenced by our informing the NHTSA that we will never accept that (polite cough Audi 5000) the complaints reflect a safety or other defect in the fuel pump. Volkswagen's own data, which we have presented to NHTSA, suggest that contamination of the diesel fuel that results in a loss of lubrication in the fuel pump may explain many of the observed failures perhaps do to a failure to understand the fuel market we supply automobiles to customers.

In addition to supporting NHTSA's investigation, Volkswagen and Audi will continue to work with customers who have experience fuel system issues in models equipped with our 2.0-liter TDI engine to explain how it is their fault. Volkswagen will examine whether external factors may have resulted in fuel contamination and will work with individual fuel suppliers or other parties as needed, like we should have done before now. In any event, Volkswagen will continue to cooperate fully with NHTSA's investigation, because if we stonewall them like our customers they will fine the crap out of us.

Demonstration models of the Passat Sedan will begin arriving later this month, with full inventory arriving in late September-early October (hopefully one of these models won't fail in front of the press like the last fuel pump did on the Jetta).

Signed Helen Wait

This letter makes me feel that VW is trying so kudos' the them :rolleyes::D. No lets hope they resolve it (Hope in one hand and try something else in the other and lets see what happens first).....
Fixed it for ya. Maybe one day so will VW .......

Harvieux

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
06 A5 Pkg.2 w/navi & ASEP
Originally Posted by wreck111
Dear Potential Purchaser
We are not able to verify or comment on statements made about the High Pressure Fuel Pump concerns listed on third-party websites as it paints us in a particularly awkward light. Volkswagen Group of America is cooperating fully with the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration's (NHTSA's) investigation of fuel pump issues in certain Volkswagen and Audi models equipped with 2.0-liter TDI diesel engines. Our cooperation is limited to blaming the customer first for every failure alleged to have occurred, evidenced by our informing the NHTSA that we will never accept that (polite cough Audi 5000) the complaints reflect a safety or other defect in the fuel pump. Volkswagen's own data, which we have presented to NHTSA, suggest that contamination of the diesel fuel that results in a loss of lubrication in the fuel pump may explain many of the observed failures perhaps do to a failure to understand the fuel market we supply automobiles to customers.
In addition to supporting NHTSA's investigation, Volkswagen and Audi will continue to work with customers who have experience fuel system issues in models equipped with our 2.0-liter TDI engine to explain how it is their fault. Volkswagen will examine whether external factors may have resulted in fuel contamination and will work with individual fuel suppliers or other parties as needed, like we should have done before now. In any event, Volkswagen will continue to cooperate fully with NHTSA's investigation, because if we stonewall them like our customers they will fine the crap out of us.
Demonstration models of the Passat Sedan will begin arriving later this month, with full inventory arriving in late September-early October (hopefully one of these models won't fail in front of the press like the last fuel pump did on the Jetta).
Signed Helen Wait
This letter makes me feel that VW is trying so kudos' the them . No lets hope they resolve it (Hope in one hand and try something else in the other and lets see what happens first).....
Fixed it for ya. Maybe one day so will VW ..............
ROLMFAO!!!!!!!!! Later!

chummer

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 A3 TDI Premium Plus/Titanium Package
Ok, picked up my car yesterday at around 5pm. Everything looks and feel normal, they replaced everything on the fuel system tank and all like they said. They reset the cpu and test drove it for 50 miles. Mileage kinda suck right now I'm only geting around 31 mpg at best, been driving it for about 100 miles now, hopefully the mpg gets back up there like it was.

oxford_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf '11
The NHTSA investigation seems to be the only hope for action to those who already have a CR tdi and intend to hold on to it for a long time (or those who would really like to sell used ones in good conscience)
There is also a class-action lawsuit, but given the three (Wal-Mart women, cellphone, something else) recent Supreme Court rulings invalidating class-action suits -- that may not work out so well for VW buyers (even if we grant that a class-action suit is better for consumers than losing 96.8% of the time to corporations). It doesn't seem like class-action suits have much of a future with the Roberts court, so some of us may to have to figure out a way to be part of that 3.2% who win in arbitration.

Last edited:

tico27464

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI (DSG)
Ok, picked up my car yesterday at around 5pm. Everything looks and feel normal, they replaced everything on the fuel system tank and all like they said. They reset the cpu and test drove it for 50 miles. Mileage kinda suck right now I'm only geting around 31 mpg at best, been driving it for about 100 miles now, hopefully the mpg gets back up there like it was.
I doubt this could account for all of your mileage loss, but, if you haven't already, check your tire pressures. In my experience, dealers of *all* makes have a terrible habit of setting your pressure to the placard spec whenever they even get near the car--which usually means bleeding out several pounds from a hot tire, to get the cold recommended PSI. Worse yet if you like to keep yours a bit "overinflated" like I do. If it doesn't return to normal after a while, take it in and ask questions about what the CPU reflash might have done, and demand that they fix it. If you keep track of tank mileage, show them 'before and after' data. Good luck--at least it sounds like they didn't give you any guff over fixing the HPFP, and did it pretty quickly. Keep us posted on how things go--who knows how many of us may one day benefit from your experience!
Cheers
~T

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
Check your paperwork to see if any updates to the ECM were done.

chummer

Veteran Member
TDI
All it say was reset computer, set tire pressure to 36psi and a long list of all the parts they replaced for the HPFP. But, the mileage is back to normal with the 36psi tire pressure, I usually set it at 45-47 psi. We'll see how it goes.

I have to bring my car back next week when I'm back intown, they crack my filler housing and will replace it on them.

securityguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan
Had my flash done and now seeing a significant loss in MPG. Used to get 45+ on the highway and now struggle to hit 40. Not what I was hoping for:mad:

jbright

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG
Had my flash done and now seeing a significant loss in MPG. Used to get 45+ on the highway and now struggle to hit 40. Not what I was hoping for:mad:
I would take the car back and have them re-flash it. The tech told me they use a laptop and download the new programming over the internet from Germany. I know there are members who have great faith in the infallibility of such procedures but I'm not one of them. The mpg on my car did not change.

Samcar222

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Salsa Red JSW TDI
I would take the car back and have them re-flash it. The tech told me they use a laptop and download the new programming over the internet from Germany. I know there are members who have great faith in the infallibility of such procedures but I'm not one of them. The mpg on my car did not change.
That sounds about right... of the two or so updates applied to our car, mileage has not changed. I am about 400 miles away from my 20k service :eek: ... so lets just say if they do this correctly (they are Dorschel VW in upstate Rochester NY- the largest diesel VW dealer in NY, so they claim), my confidence in their 'institution' will increase exponentially. And I believe they will do a proper job.

They are also competent at oil changes, which is nice. :cool:

Wish me luck for the FF change (priming (!) and no flakes.........)

ps - I will also ask the tech about the intercooler TSB (hydrolock) and the new parts... when/how they will get put on for any of you in snowy winter climates (quite a few, myself included). Will post in the respective location.

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
An '05 MBZ E-320 CDI (W-211) replaced the '10 TDI JSW
Not Enough Turnover. Fuel not Fresh

Ok, another one to add on to the list. My A3 stalled while going on the on ramp of the 110 N in Los Angeles. The car didn't go pass 30mph and coil service light came on and started to flash, almost immediately it stalled. Lucky I have enough momentum to pull the car over and away from moving traffice.

Towed to the nearest Audi dealer (Audi of Downtown Los Angeles), they found bad fuel and metal shavings. They told me everything was warranty, bad diesel was to blame. They are going to replace the whole fuel system. I also report this to the NHTSA and
they're investigating the station I filled up at (76) and the testing result from Audi.

One thing that this writer has always wondered about it those stations
that sell D2 in the downtown area of greater Los Angeles. :confused:

What is there turnover rate? :confused:
How 'fresh' is their fuel? :confused:
How many gallons do they sell given there higher than outlieing area prices? :confused:
How many trucker get juel where you might go? :confused:

Were a person to bother to drive over to those hugh truck
stops on Alemada, that would be a different story for sure.

I know when I take my wife shopping in the garment district Downtown,
I am simply amazed that anyone would pay those posted prices
except if they were caught simply out-of-fuel!
And then, simply purchase just enough to get out of Dodge!

Just my thoughts. :p

:D

D

Last edited:

chummer

Veteran Member
TDI
I actually live in in Huntington Beach, CA and always fill up at the 76 station in Long Beach when I pass by it to and from work. I always see trucks and other TDIs filling up there. As for how much diesel fuel they turn over at that station, I have now idea, don't work there.

Yes, I do the same if I need fuel when I'm out and about in areas where I'm not familiar with. Just get a few gallon's to make it back home.

That's the thing, am I suppose to take fuel sample everytime I fill up?

I had a 2006 Jetta TDI before with over 70,000 miles and had no problem with that station and any others around town.

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
An '05 MBZ E-320 CDI (W-211) replaced the '10 TDI JSW
Your D2 Source

I actually live in in Huntington Beach, CA and always fill up at the 76 station in Long Beach when I pass by it to and from work. I always see trucks and other TDIs filling up there. As for how much diesel fuel they turn over at that station, I have now idea, don't work there.

[One would indeed think that your station would move more D2 than one in downtown LA]

Yes, I do the same if I need fuel when I'm out and about in areas where I'm not familiar with. Just get a few gallon's to make it back home.

That's the thing, am I suppose to take fuel sample everytime I fill up? [No]
I had a 2006 Jetta TDI before with over 70,000 miles and had
no problem with that station and any others around town.

Maybe you caught a little bad D2 one of those times you just got a little to get you back to your
normal station. I think that once the HPFP starts its slide, it is on it way to total distruction.

There is a regular poster here over in AZ who just went through your problem with his '09 and he always used
an additive . . . it simply coughed out in much the same way yours did. He drove home and it was fine
and three hours later, it simply would not start! Go figure? In not starting, it did not scatter debris
all throughout the entire fuel system the way yours did, so by it not starting,
it made the repair less costly to VW.

You simply may be one of the few who had either a bad HPFP or whatever?

Many of us use an additive regularly, and I believe in that and have done so from the beginning.
Does that prevent the failures? Who knows for sure, but I figure one liter of biodiesel added
to each tank can't hurt anything and does help to raise the lubricity a few points.
Our fuel is at best marginal, and all it take is for there to be a very slight increase in that
(480?) figure which could be from only one tank and once the pump starts its
self distruction, there is no stopping it, and you know the rest.

Glad yours was repaired so relatively quickly and without too much hassle.
It will indeed be interesting to learn if Audi found anything at all wrong with the fuel sample they took? :confused:

:D

D

Last edited:

Curkkic

Veteran Member
TDI
None any more ;(
Does anyone have the old failed highpressure pump available? I would be interested in examining it to make an improved pump. Pm me if so. ill pay for the shipping costs.

chummer

Veteran Member
TDI
Derrel, maybe you're right. I just hope this will never happen again. I'm just glad that I get to drive my own car.

I'm going to look into additives, whats the recommendation... anyone?