VW Golf TDI Reliability

Clark Addison

TDI
2010 Sportwagen TDI
We've got 8000 miles on a 2010 JSW automatic, mostly local driving, 30mpg, up to 47 on highway trips. So far it's performed flawlessly.

My other car is an 06 Porsche Boxster, so driving fun is a priority. I really enjoy driving the Sportwagen. It's lively, handles well, and despite its small size, it carries lots of stuff. We traded in an 04 Touareg, which was a good vehicle, but we love the JSW.

studhilo

TDI
2010 Golf 2.0
I have close to 12,000 miles on my Golf TDi. No major issues until last week when they replaced the A/C compressor, condenser, and all the bits in between. It was covered by warranty and the dealer did a good job, but that would have been a $2200-$2500 repair. I'll see how it goes. But, if another major item that fails, I think it will be trade-in time about a week before the warranty expires. Maybe someone else will come out with a fun car that get 45mpg by then.

Draza

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 00, Black
Not a 2010-2011 but I have a 2000 golf with 185,000. The car has been fun to drive, practical and good on fuel but I have to say I have worked on this car more than any in my life (mile to mile comparison). On the flip side I have a boring 2005 Honda accord V6 with 105,000 miles and not one issue (knock on wood, my head). If VW made a car with the realiability of a Honda that would be pure heaven.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
If VW made a car with the realiability of a Honda that would be pure heaven.
I have my fingers crossed. I'm hoping to make it 6.5 more years in my 2010 Golf TDI. If it is good, I may get another Golf TDI or maybe the Beetle TDI. I think I might also like to try the 2.0 Turbo gas motors, since I won't have the long commute after I retire. I can imagine a GTI or the Turbo Beetle, although it would be hard to give up the big miles per tank of fuel in the TDI. If it gets bad in the TDI, then I will absolutely never come back to VW!!! I think they could go to number 1 in the world with this TDI motor, or they could fade into oblivion if the fuel pump or some other big ticket items become boat anchors on their sales.

I do love the TDI. I just hope it keeps on going!!!

SaxmanKana

Veteran Member
TDI
Dweisel's Diesel, 2000 Blue Beetle 5 speed
Hi all,
I'm seeing a fair amount of these for sale on CL. Been doing much reading on the ALH to 2006 models. How do these compare? I drive at least 500 miles per week, mostly highway. Driving a BMW 325xi, great car but the premium gas is killing me. Was really looking for a TDI when I bought this car 3 years ago, but they were difficult to find, now they're on CL all the time & buy the dozens & not selling. Been watching a few for months. I really want the 40-50 MPGs & want to be able to run the B-6 to B-20 blend of biofuel available at my local Love's truck stop like I do I my 24Valve Cummins.
Thanks,
Dave

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I have 130k miles trouble free on my '11. Brake pads, tires, wiper blades, and oil/filters- that's it. I'd say right now is the perfect opportunity to pick one up cheap.

SaxmanKana

Veteran Member
TDI
Seems like it. Many that I see have like 140K. Anything to look out for? Like in that mile range the cams wiped out in the 05-06?

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Hi SaxmanKana,

There is a reason there are so many for sale, "dieselgate". You should also know these cars are much different than the older diesel cars. For one thing, the mpg is not as high. Also, biodiesel above 5% is not recommended, unless the car is modified by removing emission parts. There is also a lot to know about the HPFP and the DPF.

My car has been great, but be sure you know what you're getting yourself into with the newer VW diesel car.

SaxmanKana

Veteran Member
TDI
Hi Ksing44,

That's what I wanted hear. It seems like the commercial diesel LT & auto makers past 07 wanted to shut the homebrewers down. The diesel makers could have went with designs that were more Biofuel friendly. I like the updated features of the newer models but the better fuel efficiency of the older ones I guess. Looks like I'm going to have to rescue an AHL or PD!

Thanks,
Dave

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I have 130k miles trouble free on my '11. Brake pads, tires, wiper blades, and oil/filters- that's it. I'd say right now is the perfect opportunity to pick one up cheap.
don't forget Timing belt, cause that's not a small maintenance item

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Driving a BMW 325xi, great car but the premium gas is killing me.
premium gas is killing you? gas is the cheapest its been in 5-10 years, live it up get a Hellcat!

SaxmanKana

Veteran Member
TDI
Hellcat!�� diesel is cheaper then premium usually plus fuel mileage in a TDI is twice as good is my point! I drive too much each week, my extra money just goes in the tank, thank goodness that petroleum is more affordable.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
If you buy an older ALH it may have an 80k belt on it. My 2010 is up to 120k intervals, and I think in 2013 they went up to 130k. Figure on ~$800 for a timing belt job, including replacing the water pump (driven by the TB, so you do it while you're in there) and a few rollers.

Be cautious about switching for fuel economy. You may end up losing more in selling one vehicle and buying another than any savings in fuel, especially at lower prices. The only advantage would be if you can scoop up a deal due to the emissions thing. With these cars' complex emissions systems, they're less justifiable these days, with gassers getting more fuel efficient, and fuel being cheaper. Me, I drive 30k+ miles per year and I'm considering picking up a GTI if/when VW offers to buy back my 200k-mile 2010 JSW.

CEaton

TDI
2014 VW Sportwagen TDI DSG
No mentions of intercooler icing and HPFP??

Everyone says they are rare, but when they hit, they are awful....I know, because my 2014 TDI with 30k miles had intercooler icing bring it to a halt in Jan, then the HPFP blew at the end of Feb....still waiting for VW to even say whether they will fix it or not.

SaxmanKana

Veteran Member
TDI
If you buy an older ALH it may have an 80k belt on it. My 2010 is up to 120k intervals, and I think in 2013 they went up to 130k. Figure on ~$800 for a timing belt job, including replacing the water pump (driven by the TB, so you do it while you're in there) and a few rollers.

Be cautious about switching for fuel economy. You may end up losing more in selling one vehicle and buying another than any savings in fuel, especially at lower prices. The only advantage would be if you can scoop up a deal due to the emissions thing. With these cars' complex emissions systems, they're less justifiable these days, with gassers getting more fuel efficient, and fuel being cheaper. Me, I drive 30k+ miles per year and I'm considering picking up a GTI if/when VW offers to buy back my 200k-mile 2010 JSW.
I would be doing the TB myself, not to difficult other than time consuming. I understand the process. I hear you about switching for fuel economy & selling vehicles. Really I wanted a TDI when I bought the Bimmer. Wife sorta talked me into the car because I was driving a Toyota Corolla that was rusting away around me w over 300K. That's another story!;) Couldn't find one even on here in my price range when I joined in 2010.

You guys have been very helpful,
Dave

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
No mentions of intercooler icing and HPFP??
Everyone says they are rare, but when they hit, they are awful....I know, because my 2014 TDI with 30k miles had intercooler icing bring it to a halt in Jan, then the HPFP blew at the end of Feb....still waiting for VW to even say whether they will fix it or not.
In a nutshell...

I've had the intercooler icing once with my 2011 Golf. The ways to prevent it are many...
-Use a winter front on the car in the winter.
-Don't idle the car for a extended period of time.
-Give it the beans when you accelerate.
-Drill a tiny hole at the bottom of the intercooler piping to allow excess water to blow out. So far this alone has proven most successful in preventing reoccurring intercooler icing.

The only ways to stop a hpfp failure... Well, you can't. Because it's not predictable. VW has been covering 09-12 models with a 120k miles warranty so long as the fuel nozzle guard is in place and no gas is detected in the fuel sample they pull.

That said, 2micron makes a kit to mitigate damage to the pump alone. That way of it fails all that would need replacing is the hpfp and a couple of fuel filters.

2micron was also in the process of bringing a CP3 pump kit out for those who really want a reliable hpfp. Dieselgate put a big pause to the show.

Last edited:

mr.shooty

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI Gone. 2018 Golf R
2012 DSG - 65K miles and no problems at all, and I mean absolutely nothing, not even a bloody squeak from my awful roads. It's a daily commuter into Center City Philly from NJ; although I did damage both passenger side wheels yesterday after driving into a pothole the size of the San Andreas Fault. It's Red, and we all know they are faster and more reliable haha.
Getting 40mpg, and add Dieselclean every fill up.

SaxmanKana

Veteran Member
TDI
If I'm not running a BioD mix, I'm running DieselKleen in all my diesels! Even though the new ones are made to run on ULSD, one can never have enough lubricity. Those new injectors or Injection pump are expensive!

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
2012 DSG - 65K miles and no problems at all, and I mean absolutely nothing, not even a bloody squeak from my awful roads. It's a daily commuter into Center City Philly from NJ; although I did damage both passenger side wheels yesterday after driving into a pothole the size of the San Andreas Fault. It's Red, and we all know they are faster and more reliable haha.
Getting 40mpg, and add Dieselclean every fill up.
While my '11 was a Garage Queen, my wife's '13 has been nearly as flawless as yours. So far she had the exhaust flap done under warranty.

I challenge you to a "worst road contest" though! She's developed a nasty front suspension clunk. Potholes on our dirt road have been particularly bad this winter. If you see a car zigging and zagging down our road it's likely the driver isn't drunk, just wants to avoid damaging his/her suspension. I have to get my own car in soon for an oil change (first one at 15k km) and will book an appointment for hers as well, which is still under warranty (just under 70k km).

JATPOL

TDI
'14 Golf TDI 6M Candy White
2014 Golf TDI 6SPD
51500 Miles - So far so good , no problems here :D:D

k^2

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen DSG - Sold back to VW. Replaced with Sportwagen 2.5 GAS
I have own seven VW. All I can say is that the check engine light should have have a VW logo. Yes VW are mechanically sound be electrically crap.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
I have own seven VW. All I can say is that the check engine light should have have a VW logo. Yes VW are mechanically sound be electrically crap.
When I worked in industry some 20 years ago we bought this large German piece of production equipment; it was 10 or so meters wide. Beautiful piece of engineering, all stainless steel.

But the electronic controls were crap. We suffered the crap controls for some years until the Engineering dept. finally cried "uncle", stripped out the German electronics, and put in Allen-Bradley controls. Worked like a charm after that, robust mechanics with robust electronics.

Too bad we can't do the same to VWs.

I bought a VCDS about 10 years ago (aka Vag-Com). Has paid for itself many times over diagnosing the Christmas tree of lights on the dashboard. Weirdest one on my B6 Passat wagon of past years looked like a mouse with a hard-on. Turned out to be the loose fuel cap/evap system warning light.

turboBear

TDI
2013 Golf TDI (sold back to VW 2016/12/28)
2013 Golf 6MT, 62k on the clock and going, had the rear windshield sprayer hose crack between the hatch and the roof, leaking fluid into the hatch. Fixed under warranty. Other than that only scheduled maintenance.

Daily driver in NE PA, but has seen lots of miles around the NE USA, last summer we driving-toured "Atlantic Canada" in a clockwise loop (Quebeck, NB, Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, PEI).

I use Power Service Arctic in the winter out of paranoia, but that's it.

Last edited:

SaxmanKana

Veteran Member
TDI
Cool, we did the tour of Montreal & Quebec City last Summer too, awesome!

So far these seem to be very reliable esp under 100K!

Dave

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
2013 Golf 6MT, 62k on the clock and going, had the rear windshield sprayer hose crack between the hatch and the roof, leaking fluid into the hatch. Fixed under warranty. Other than that only scheduled maintenance.

Daily driver in NE PA, but has seen lots of miles around the NE USA, last summer we driving-toured "Atlantic Canada" in a clockwise loop (Quebeck, NB, Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, PEI).

I use Power Service Arctic in the winter out of paranoia, but that's it.
I had the same thing happen to my rear washer hose at about the same milage. I did the repair myself however since the hose was plastic and I really wanted to put the proper rubber hose in to avoid the same thing happening in the future.

turboBear

TDI
2013 Golf TDI (sold back to VW 2016/12/28)
I'm funny about things I will and won't do, while it's still under Factory warrant.

And lazy - was in for a service anyway.

<shrug>

:p

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
I'm funny about things I will and won't do, while it's still under Factory warrant.

And lazy - was in for a service anyway.

<shrug>

:p
Well it certainly was a bit of a pain in the butt. My car had just come out of the factory warranty (well beyond the B2B 30k and just over the 60k power train). I figured I could handle it and sure enough I could. I learned a few interesting things about the car in the process. :cool: