2013 Updates?

Skymedic

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Any updates for 2013 come out today? I'm anxious to trade my 06 Jetta in on a Passat but I want to wait and see what 2013 has to offer.

Team TDI

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
Same 2.0L TDI engine for 2013

It looks like the changes for 2013 are mainly rear-seat pass-thru and Rear-view camera on the RNS510 equipped TDI SEL. There's also a new interior color.
I've heard that VW is working on an updated TDI engine with higher BHP and Torque numbers and possibly slightly better MPGs. Has anyone heard anything about the possibilities of a new engine? 2014 maybe?
Thanks.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Haven't heard a thing about a new engine.

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
I've heard that VW is working on an updated TDI engine with higher BHP and Torque numbers and possibly slightly better MPGs.
This makes me nervous... did this on the BRM and many cams turned cannibal. :rolleyes:

Has anyone heard anything about the possibilities of a new engine? 2014 maybe?
There are articles floating around regarding VAG's roadmap -- including a 2014 TDI mention -- but it's all speculation for now.

Antgli

TDI
2012 Passat SE TDI

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Interesting catch... I missed that. At this point, I'm not putting a lot of stock into what askavwsalesguy is saying.

HugeTDIfan

Banned
TDI
New passat
Kind of irritated that they are adding the rear vents now. Oh well I only drive it so I guess it don't matter

VeeDubTDI

TDI
The HVAC certainly seems powerful enough to keep rear passengers comfortable without the rear vents, although I will admit they are nice.

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
The HVAC certainly seems powerful enough to keep rear passengers comfortable without the rear vents, although I will admit they are nice.
With some fiddling. My sister complains about not getting any heat/cold when she is in the back seat. We end up taking the right most dash vent and adjusting it to blow down the side of the car so she gets some air.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
With some fiddling. My sister complains about not getting any heat/cold when she is in the back seat. We end up taking the right most dash vent and adjusting it to blow down the side of the car so she gets some air.
I've always done that, in every car I've owned. In our JSW, the rear vents just don't move much air, so both the front left and right are always directed along the side windows to move air to the rear. This also prevents any fogging.

I'm still curious to see the ductwork difference in the 2013.

goldgary

TDI
2012 Passat 6M
rear vent

My 2012 Passat SE 6M. has rear heat duct under drivers seat for rear. At least it seems so to me. If someone knows differently what those vents are for, I would like to know.

Thanks, Gary

VeeDubTDI

TDI
You're correct... those floor vents provide heat and a/c to the rear, but believe they only blow air when the HVAC is set to the floor or mix position (or when auto is sending air to the floor).

TheGrove

TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
You're correct... those floor vents provide heat and a/c to the rear, but believe they only blow air when the HVAC is set to the floor or mix position (or when auto is sending air to the floor).
Yes I can vouch for that. A week or so ago I had the A/C on and accidentally had it forced to the floor. When I put my hand down behind my seat I could feel a cold draft blowing from under my seat. As soon as I put the A/C back in auto so it started using the dash registers the draft went away.

While I like the heat on the floor I don't care to have the A/C blow there. I would rather it blow out of the dash instead. Unfortunately that means the back seat doesn't get anything from those ducts.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
A/C shouldn't come from the floor anyway, since cold air falls. At most, you want a mix.

TheGrove

TDI
True, just not the vents usually looked for. Thanks for the tip about the registers and floor combined. I'll try that next time my sister is in the back and see if it helps.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
By my tally, the vehicle has 4 main seating positions and 4 main vents. Point one vent at each seating position. :D