Leaking injection pump

Ivanp

TDI
Jetta 1.9
Hello:

I have a 2000 Jetta, the injection pump is leaking fuel.
Is there a procedure to change the gaskets?
Do I have to do the same procedure as changing the timming belt in locking the pump if it openned in order to change the inner gaskets?

Ivanp

Last edited:

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Nope, you can change the important and likely leakers in the car without touching the timing belt or pulley.

Check dieselgeek's site (referenced in the vendors section or at dieselgeek.com). He's got the seal kits, and the special triangular security socket you need to r&r the injection quantity adjuster body.

He's also got some how-to instructions you can download or look at.

If you have reasonable mechanical dexterity, can follow instructions, and have the ability to keep the area and pump internal parts clean, you can do this and save yourself a bundle of cash with a couple hours' work.

Ivanp

TDI
Jetta 1.9
thanks Powder Hound:

I'll give a try to contact them.

I openned the IP to fix a leak and now I can not make the engine to start. I have used the Mighty Vac to purge the air off the system, but it is a never ending story. No matter what, there still air in the line. Have follwed procedures listed here in the forums, but still air in the lines.

Thanks for the tip.

Ivanp

jjs01tdi

TDI
01 VW Golf
I just put a new seal on my pump head along with putting my new nozzles and am having the same problem with air in the lines. Not sure what to do either. Any ideas?

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Did you put the middle section of the pump on in the same position that it was removed? There is adjstment on that that will make for a no start if not installed correctly. Then you will need to make sure that it is set correctly with VCDS. Get it running first, then worry about the air if it's a problem.

See #9 in my signature.

Last edited by a moderator:

jjs01tdi

TDI
01 VW Golf
everything seems right it just cant get all the air out of the line going from the filter to the IP. Thinkin maybe i should just get a new ip and have it installled at the local diesel shop.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
"Seems right"? What do you mean? Did you mark the pump before removing the middle section?

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Some air in the input line from the fuel filter is tolerable. If there is doubt about how much air is still in the pump body, then turn the ignition on and bleed from the return line out of the pump. When you get fuel out of it then you are ready for the other part.

Next you must bleed the metal lines from the pump to the injectors. Loosen just the nut that secures the line to the injectors. All 4. You don't have to make them loose, just 2 or maybe 3 turns, until it is easy to turn them by hand. To keep from getting fuel all over, last time I did this I then tied a paper towel around each one. Then I cranked it for a few seconds. I checked the towels, all dry. Cranked again, for about 7-8 seconds (I didn't want to heat up the starter). When the towels showed a little dampness from the diesel coming out, I tightened them all up, and then after about 5 seconds more cranking, it fired up.

As whitedog said, I marked the pump carefully before removing the IQ adjuster section and was careful about reassembly. And after starting it, VCDS confirmed the IQ was 4 or so, and it was running very nicely.

Someone else chime in: will VCDS read the IQ while the engine is cranking?

Ivanp

TDI
Jetta 1.9
Thanks Whitedog:
I did removed the removed the middle session of the IP, did not realized that it was not installed in the same position as originally. Realizing this, I looked at the screws and repositioned to the same marks left by the screws, THE ENGINE NOW RUNS!!!!.
Still have not received the new seals, but at least now I know what to do, must probably the leaks are cause by new diesel formulation. This IP is original and has 9 years. I like the car since I have to travel a lot in city driving, helps my pocket.

Thanks a lot for all the help.

Ivanp

TDI
Jetta 1.9
jjs01tdi:

I guess is the same that happened to me.

Lose the IP crews and tap the head a little to your right (or notice the mark left by the screws and position the head there and fasten), I sat in front of the car and looked in detail to the IP and notice the marks, then said the holes are oval instead of round for some reason, so I moved the head and repositioned to previous mark and car started.

That is why some folks with more experience recommends that you make some kind of mark on the head before taking it appart, when putting it together, the mark serves as a reference to place it in the same location and the car should start.

Hope this helps getting your car running.

Regards,

Ivanp

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
Ivan, you will want to get your car hooked up to VCDS to get your injection quantity set correctly once you have replaced the seals.

Ivanp

TDI
Jetta 1.9
Thanks Whitedog; yes, as soon I get the seals, hoping they arrived this weedend but not. So, work have to be done during the week, already know someone that has the Vag-Com, once car is finished, directly go to fine tone my TDI.
Really thankful for all your comments. Keep them comming.