Little Pittsburgh Clan

muso

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
astonishedboy said:
congrats Muso. was it under 15k?
Nah...I paid a little over 17k for it...which was fine with me considering that all service was done on time at a vw dealer (documented), and it came with a 2yr/24k vw certified warranty. And the car is in AMAZING shape...it looks brand new, and runs very well (still getting used to the "diesel sound" though...it was a little disconcerting at first, but it's grown on me). When I went to pick up the car, the guy at the dealership who posted the car on ebay told me he didn't realize what the TDI wagons were selling for until he did some research AFTER (??!!) posting the auction...but by that time I had already hit the buy-it-now button. I've seen many similar cars sell for between $1500 and $4000 more than this in the past 2 weeks alone. Think I really lucked out. Actually, I think it's good karma that came my way in return for giving away my volvo 240 to a neighborhood handyman whose car had just died ; )

Anyway, so I'm now a TDI owner (my first VW in fact), and I absolutely love it thus far. I got about 45mpg on the drive back from Philly (and that's with an auto tranny), and the Monsoon sounds awesome for a stock system. Love the way the car feels on the road too...can't think of a great term to describe it, but I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about...just feels solid.

Looking forward to being a part of the group here...and figuring out how to do some mods.

-muso

Last edited:

Stirer

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2003 Platinum Gray GLS
Hey all PGH area TDI guys. Anyone done a clutch on one of these cars, including a flywheel. I think I have a flywheel on the outs and I would like to lend a hand to an expert instead of paying a trans shop/dealer. I have never done a clutch but am pretty handy. Drop me a PM if you might be interested or even if you have a good mechanic reference if I need to go that route. Thanks. Dan.

bmtaylor74

TDI
2000 New Beetle TDI
Hey gang, I'm a newbie to the site. Glad to see a 'Burgh' siting thread! I have a black 2000 NB-TDI tranny with 145K miles on it. I've yet to see another NB-TDI during my drives around tahn an aht.

jwlionking

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI Black 6 Speed Manual
astonishedboy said:
Well, This isn't really a sitings thread, since it isn't in the Sightings section.
Here is a local sitings thread:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=153058

I guess the Beetle TDI's are a bit harder to spot, since they don't have the TDI badge. Do they even have a turbo badge, like the 1.8T's?

bm, which neighborhood are you hailing from?

Ok, it this a sign of working too many hours? When the originator of a sightings thread posts in the wrong thread? LOL wow, I gotta pay more attention! lol

pghPAtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2001, White, Leather
Oh ya, and i have an OEM skidplate for sale: 75 bucks
Set of OEM steel wheels with tires: 200.00
2 with Michelin Hydro-edge XSE 89T 800A temp-B 195/65/15, 5/32nds
2 with Michelin Weatherwise 480A temp-B 195/65/15, 5/32nds
Set of wheel covers: 20 bucks each or all 4 for 60$

Thought i would offer it up to the Pittsburgh folks first and yes I know it's not the "classified section" so SIMMA DAWN NAH ;)

Dave

Last edited:

UnclesCamino

TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6M 2DR
Hello everyone,

Not from Pittsburgh but close, I am over near Johnstown. I am going out to Ohio to pick up a 00 NB TDI 5speed. It has about 76,000 on it and I am not sure if the timing belt has been changed yet. Can VW tell me if the belt has been changed by one of thier service centers? I don't think there is a record of it being changed. If not I will be looking for a place to get it changed soon. Anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks
Rob

astonishedboy

Veteran Member
TDI
Y2k Golf, Black Mariah
Hey Rob,
where in Ohio are you going. There are several guru's out that way that could do the belt for you. (MoGolf, Jon Hamilton,...) Might be safe to have it changed before driving it back to Johnstown.

I don't know how reliable the VW records will be.

~a

muso

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
In search of VAG-Com in Pittsburgh

For those I already PM'ed or emailed, please pardon the duplicate request.

Hey folks,

I have an '03 Jetta wagon w/ 66k miles, purchased 3 months ago. Check engine light came on tonight, and I'd like to get a scan as soon as possible. I'm planning on driving to Philly this weekend, and would like to have peace of mind for the trip.

Can anyone local with a VAG-Com help me out in the next couple of days? I'll make myself available whenever, and can throw some beers or cash or whatever your way for the effort. I live in Highland Park. Send me a PM or an email (markmusolino AT gmail.com). Thanks...

-Mark

muso

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
pghPAtdi said:
Did everyone die here?
How did you make out with your CEL Muso??
Sorry, didn't mean to drop the ball on that...just been real busy with work lately, so off the board for a bit. I was lucky enough to get a scan from another forum member (Hoffer...thanks again, bro!), and the code we got was a faulty glow plug circuit on cylinder #1. Haven't even bothered to figure out yet whether it's a plug or the harness (again, that busy with work excuse)...but I'll get to it. At the time, I really just wanted to make sure I could drive the car without damaging anything. Car starts and drives no problem...

erl1014

TDI
2004 Golf GLS TDI
Good cruises

Also does anyone know of any really nice cruises in or around pittsburgh? I really want a ride where I can keep the turbo spooled the whole way with low amounts of traffic and interesting turns and scenery.....One more thing, we all know that Pittsburgh is notorious for its terrible, pothole ridden streets so if anyone knows any well paved streets.

Last edited:

pghPAtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
I've got a multimeter to check the oooooooohms. and prob a GP kicking around.

Dave

muso said:
Sorry, didn't mean to drop the ball on that...just been real busy with work lately, so off the board for a bit. I was lucky enough to get a scan from another forum member (Hoffer...thanks again, bro!), and the code we got was a faulty glow plug circuit on cylinder #1. Haven't even bothered to figure out yet whether it's a plug or the harness (again, that busy with work excuse)...but I'll get to it. At the time, I really just wanted to make sure I could drive the car without damaging anything. Car starts and drives no problem...

pghPAtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Frank!,
anything out your way in the rich part of the city.

erl1014 said:
Also does anyone know of any really nice cruises in or around pittsburgh? I really want a ride where I can keep the turbo spooled the whole way with low amounts of traffic and interesting turns and scenery.....One more thing, we all know that Pittsburgh is notorious for its terrible, pothole ridden streets so if anyone knows any well paved streets.

TDIPA

TDI
None, YET!
Is that a Stat aircraft on your avatar?

Dave,

Are you with Stat?

If you are, I'm at ME-11 in Altoona. I found this forum tonight when I was researching TDI Jettas. My wife and I have pretty much decided to get one.

Maybe you can answer my "newbie" question...are all Jetta TDI's turbos? I have seen many ads on eBay and AutoTrader. Some specify turbo, some don't.

Thanks!

Ted

astonishedboy

Veteran Member
TDI
Y2k Golf, Black Mariah
Ted,
I'll answer you, since Dave is probably sleeping after his 24 shift yesterday...or playing his video games...
Yes, Jetta TDI's are all turbocharged, but I'm not sure about the new 2008's coming out...
Pre 1999.5 they were a wastegated turbo, then they switched to the VNT-15 variable vane turbo.

TDIPA

TDI
None, YET!
Thanks for the info. I'll definitely be stepping up my search now. I sold my Jeep on eBay tonight!

pghPAtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey Ted,
I'm at Med 2 in greensburg.
Altoona, thats a long haul for me. Sleepytown USA my ass (so i've been told), everytime I've been there I've had my ass kicked then the drive back to the city.........being awake for 30 hours blows a$$.

What year Tdi are you getting?
Don't listen to Frank up above. He's back on the pipe, meth mouth...the whole thing.

Dave