Labor Cost for PD Timing Belt Replacement

AFlowers

TDI
Jetta, 2004, Black
Hi y'all.

What is the parts/labor cost for replacing an '04 Jetta PD timing belt at a dealership?

I know that I can do the work a lot cheaper, but I want to factor in the cost of the parts, plus the cost of the tools the first time. What the dealership will charge (for a job of questionable quality) will give me a lot more leverage with my banker/accountant/wife for the purchase of the tools to do it ourselves.

Thanks in advance!

Alf

myke_w

Vendor
TDI
03 TDI Wagon
At my shop I charge about 650 for the job plus tax at 50 / hour.
parts and labor is 50/50. I'm prolly abit higher than the average joe, but I'm fast and I dont mess up, which counts for alot when doing these cars.

I also include the water pump (with metal impeller, unlike the dealer) and a liter of new vw coolant and all rollers, the tensioner and serpentine belt..

I generally run teh vag-com on it as well and print out a code report for the customer.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
Not bad, considering the dealer labor rate is $98-$105 per hour in my neck of the woods.

--Nate

AFlowers

TDI
Jetta, 2004, Black
Thanks for the replies!

So, I'm out about $500 the first time, since I have to buy the tools. After that, I'm out about $300 just for parts. But the dealership would have charged me about $650 - $800, and I would not be sure of the quality of the job. Right?

We put a lot of miles on this car, so I do expect to have it for the next belt too.

Thanks again!

Alf

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
AFlowers said:
Thanks for the replies!

So, I'm out about $500 the first time, since I have to buy the tools. After that, I'm out about $300 just for parts. But the dealership would have charged me about $650 - $800, and I would not be sure of the quality of the job. Right?
Wrong. $800 is probably at the low end of what dealerships will charge (in the US anyway, Canada is different even with the currency disparity).

For about $800 a dealership will replace the timing belt and tensioner. They may or may not replace all the single-use bolts. They will not replace the waterpump or the roller/idlers, unless you specifically request this, and then they will charge several hundred $$$ more. So a complete TB change at a dealership could end up costing $1200-1400. Also, consider that at many VW dealerships, their #1 mechanic may only do a few TDI timing belts each year. They are not exactly experts, and far too often they skip important steps or fail to replace single-use parts.

If you update your profile, to show where you live, there may be a tdiclub TB guru in your area. These are independent shops or part-time TDI mechanics who have performed dozens or often hundreds of timing belt changes. Then take a look at the deluxe kits offered by www.dieselgeek.com and www.metalmanparts.com , so you can see what parts should always be replaced.

GoRudy

TDI
A4 Jetta TDI
I Need To Find A TB Guru

How can I find the closest timing belt guru? I live in southeastern Wisconsin. My A4 Jetta (auto) needs a timing belt change badly. I want it done right. I am having trouble tracking down my guru. Please advise. Thanks.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)