2002 Jetta Oil seaping out at base of oil filter housing.

Northof60

Whitehorse, YT <--Just South of the middle of now
TDI
2002 Jetta
Does anyone know if I should be panicing at this oil seaping out from the base of my oil filter housing? Is it an easy fix or am I into major surgery? Any help would be appreciated.

Details: 2002 Jetta TDI. 275,000ish KM, I live in the north where -30 is normal.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
volkswheels said:
Wouldn,t Worry Too Much About It Unles It Starts Dripping On Bottom Of Housing! And Oil Level Decreses.
You are kidding right? Change them now. That leak is BAD and it's going to get worse in cold weather and FAIL. I've replaced 2 engines in 18 months due to this FAILURE. They are $12 at the dealer.

jasonTDI

TDI
Yep.

I recommend pulling the filter and evacuating the cooler from the top to knock it way down.

Northof60

TDI
2002 Jetta
Well, Looks like I will see if TDIPARTS.COM will add the $5 o-ring to my shipment. Could someone rate the timeframe in doing this yourself. I do not have a garage but am able to do most things outside @ -35 quite well (I am a Yukoner after all). Worst case I might have to get my local Shop to do this for me.
In the meantime I am guessing that I should keep an eye on my oil levels until I am able to replace the part.

roadhard1960

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon GLS 5 speed
I suspect it is cold, really cold where you live. Where I live I always get days above freezing even in the dead of winter. I would clean the engine with spray cleaner, brushes and low pressure rinse before working on it. Less chance of getting the new seal covered in grime and causing another leak. I am spoiled as I keep my engines fairly clean at all times which is easy to do when you live in a warm climate.

jasonTDI

TDI
You need a 32mm socket. Wobble extension helps a lot.

33 ft lbs on the nut.

clean it well first.

Northof60

TDI
2002 Jetta
Hmm, I seem to be a little stumped here. I opened my well used Bentley book and flipped to the page for the oil cooler

I ordered the following part from TDIPARTS:
http://www.tdiparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=990

From what I gather that is part #14 on the diagram. my question is WHAT is part #12? is it another o-ring? Should I have ordered two?

I can;t quite just run down to the dealership as the nearest one is just a hair over 2500km away. :D

Does anyone have a part number for that other seal?

Thanks again.

Oh and yes. It gets cold up here.. lol no one washes cars or puts any water near there vehicles for the majority of the winter. I have access to a 'semi-heated' structure for this job if required (wall tent and a propane heater) I will clean the area the best I can as not to destroy my new seal. :)

jasonTDI

TDI
The older manual has 33 ft lbs in it. 25nm isn't tight enough IMO, lots of things tied to the cooler and it'll back out.