Blower Motor Resistor

MP517PRCT

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI Sportwagen, 2011 Touareg TDI Lux
Turning the fan on in my '09 this past weekend, I noticed that i don't feel any air blowing or hear anything until I turn the knob all the way to high. I suspect that the blower motor resistor is bad. The blower motor resistor would regularly die in the several Jeep Libertys that I used to own. Has anyone else run into this problem in a Mk5 Jetta?

Carlos_TJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Bora (BXE PD)
Yes, it is a common ocurrence. Sometimes it burns out because the motor is draging because of lack of lubrication. It is documented in several threads.

that tdi guy

TDI
2006 Jetta 1.9l BRM
Turning the fan on in my '09 this past weekend, I noticed that i don't feel any air blowing or hear anything until I turn the knob all the way to high. I suspect that the blower motor resistor is bad. The blower motor resistor would regularly die in the several Jeep Libertys that I used to own. Has anyone else run into this problem in a Mk5 Jetta?
My 2006 had the exact same issue. Went to my local vdub dude, got the resistor pack for 28 bucks, and took a couple minutes out of my day to replace it. Super easy to replace. Get in the passenger seat, under the glove box, remove the styrofoamish cover from the bottom of the glovebox, and you will see the resistor, it will probably be slightly discolored, but not evidently burnt out, pull it, replace it, and out everything back together. Works 10 out of 10 times.
:D

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Just in case anyone does not know, the cabin filter is supposed to be changed at every other service. If this gets neglected, air flow will suffer, the blower will work harder, draw more current, as well as the resistor's cooling will go down.

While this issue can happen all on its own, I find almost every time I see a bad one I also see a severely neglected cabin filter.

And unlike the earlier cars, the A5's cabin filter is in use if the recirc is on or off.