Gunk Diesel Fuel Sulfur Substitute

cp

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 TDI Beetle
What will they think of next? Sludge substitute for your oil?

velociT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI *sold*
Haha, I would LOVE to know how a liquid extends the life of a filter.

Powerservice is the only additive you need.

cp

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 TDI Beetle
velociT said:

What's magic about it? Basically all any additive does is give the buyer a warm fuzzy feeling. The chemicals used in additives are available to anybody wanting to jump in the warm fuzzy feeling supply business.

Keith_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta MT
cp said:
What will they think of next? Sludge substitute for your oil?
The sulfur in diesel is chemically bound, it isn't sludge. The oil in your transmission is resulfurized as are most greases.

This is simple marketing.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
velociT said:

It must disolve out all of the dirt and grit, to clean the filter, causing it to flow through your injection pump and fuel injectors!:eek:

--Nate

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
velociT said:
And most people never need that.

Diesel fuel in civilized countries comes with all the additives normally needed. The real advantage of PowerService is that it does no harm and in some rare conditions does do some good (other than the warm fuzzy feel)

Note: I agree that it does provide an degree of additional protection and that is sufficient to justify the cost and bother for many drivers

Was a fordie

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
then why when compared to EU ULSD, people always say that US ULSD is more drier and less of a quality of diesel.. most us ULSD.. is 40-45 cetane.. lucky to find above 45... Most EU ULSD is 50 cetane minimum.. as high as high 60's on the cetane rating.... VW TDI's run more happy the higher the cetane... and with lower cetane rating,, theres less lubricity on the HP fuel pump... wears out the fuel pump must faster....

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
1. Lubricity has nothing to do with cetane rating.
2. Most US diesel is marked as "Minimum 40 cetane" and nothing more. Testing in most of the country generally shows it to be in the 45-50 cetane range in most areas.
3. EU standards are higher than US standards; that's why the comparisons.

Hope that helps.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
I'm all over this. Must be really great stuff for the weekend warrior that misses not having to clean out they're intakes that used to clog up do to the Sulfur in the older Diesel.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Where did you ever get the idea that cetane helps prevent wear on your HPFP? Not here I hope.
A lot of people do the same thing with important maintenance and troubleshooting decisions. They will take some vague knowledge about how something function and do like Peter Pan would do and just use their imagination to fill in the blanks for things they don't have a clue about...............

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Holy 8 year thread revival!!! :eek: