Headlight out, no bulb out, BCM problem?

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT
My right lo beam headlight does not work, but the bulb out indicator is not lit.
Background – 2010 Golf (Jetta)Wagon

I picked up a set of OEM HID’s w LED for a very good price from a member who was returning his car to VW. My intention is to do a close to OEM install complete with AFS and levelling since the reason I want the lights is practical, not cosmetic. After research of many threads on TDI Club, Vortex, MK6 GTI etc. I concluded that I needed a Kufatec adapter to complete the install but there was value in at least attempting to make my midline 086E CECM (BCM) run the high beam shutter and LEDs.

I purchased the full self leveling kit from Kufatec and modified the 10 – 14 pin headlight adapters by removing the shutter wires intended to connect to the CECM and connecting pin 8 of the 10 pin plug to pin 11 of the 14 pin plug as per the Vortex Halogen to Xenon Swap thread.

The first step involving the car was to carry out a test electrical install of the adapters to determine what worked and to see if I could code to eliminate bulb out errors. I plugged the adapters and headlights in and turned them on with the headlights sitting on top of the radiator. With just the ignition on, both Low beams, High beams and Turn signals worked, but as expected I had a bulb out error. I turned the high beams on and off several times, switched the headlights on and off several times. I did not attempt to start the engine. So far pretty much what I had expected.

I then started recoding via VCDS to try and eliminate the bulb out errors. In the first attempt I ticked Byte 14 bit 1 and Byte 17 bit 2 but missed Byte 14 bit 3. I turned the headlights on and both came on lo but after a couple of seconds the right went out. High beam worked on left side only obviously. Recognizing I had missed byte 14 bit 3 I ticked that and still only got a left headlight.

I got slightly frustrated and am not confident in my record keeping at this point but I tried several combinations of byte 17 bit 2, byte 14 bits 3 and 7, byte 25 bit 2, as well as 15 bits 3,5,6,7. Some of these resulted in no headlights at all, and one of these resulted in only lo beams. I don’t believe I touched any other bytes. I switched the headlights side to side and confirmed the problem was with the car, not the headlights.

Next I recoded back to my initial halogen coding, but no right light. I disconnected the HIDs and plugged in the halogens and still no right light, although the bulb out indicator went out. All the lights now work except the right side lo beam.

Checking voltage at the right side headlight connector with the headlights switched on (left side working) I find I have 0.68 V at the lo beam pin, ~12 v at the parking light pin, 0.2 at the ground (just like my mk iv!) and 0.68 at the hi beam and DRL pins. I conclude that the 0.68 is a test voltage the BCM uses to test that the bulb is working, thus explaining why the bulb out indicator is not on after I plug the headlight back in.

My present theory is that the BCM is not switching the headlight on. Is it possible that the components which do this are blown or is it software related? Its an 086E with very early software version 028!.

Control Module Part Number: 5K0 937 086 E HW: 5K0 937 086 E
Component and/or Version: BCM PQ35 M 011 0028
Software Coding: 2D380E3F902F3EC400080081400005C401000086535D8560648020000000

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Last edited: