www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old February 17th, 2019, 11:43   #1
DasTeknoViking
Veteran Member

Default Uncomfortable door panels

Hello guys/gals.

I am trying to find a solution to the horrible padding that is on the door panel on the MKV-MKVI Jetta/Sportwagens.

I took on a new job last year and have been driving about 800 miles a week, and find that my elbow is constantly begging for more padding on the arm rest. I would have asked this Q on Vortex, but all the cool kids are now on Facebook and I don't do Zuckland, sorry. I figured there has to be a few road warriors out there like myself who complain about the comfort of their car.

Has anyone done any improvements to their door cards to prevent this issue? I doubt I am the only one with a sore elbow.

I was looking at upgrading to a MKVI door card, but speakers are in different locations would require a whole lot of modification to make them work. I am almost ready to swap the doors if that would help. I don't want to buy a new car, but if I could improve the comfort of my current one that would be great.

See pic of MKVI door panel which has more padding and looks IMHO much better.

Last edited by DasTeknoViking; February 19th, 2019 at 08:01.
DasTeknoViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2019, 13:58   #2
piotrsko
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 46 city/56 hwy so far wonder what the Golf gets

Shrink your pictures. Cant read the question.

Probably any car upholstery place could make you a set of padded foam covers to glue on the ones you have now. Or motor sheep seatcovers could do a custom.
piotrsko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2019, 08:02   #3
DasTeknoViking
Veteran Member

Sorry, I edited them out in Tapatalk. Not sure if they got resized or not.

Just looking for ideas on making the panels more comfortable without looking gaudy.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
Old February 22nd, 2019, 21:09   #4
KeyTDI
Veteran Member

I don't, or haven't had the elbow issue, but my right knee gets sore rubbing against the hard edge of the Center console.
I just bought 3 yards of perforated black vinyl that I might use for the seat retrim, but for sure, I will make a little pad for the console.
Let me look at mine and see if I can cobble something up...
KeyTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2019, 21:19   #5
DasTeknoViking
Veteran Member

I am ok with the console, it's the bloody arm rest on the door that is driving me nuts. I am going to be getting the doors redone with more padding come motorcycle riding season. Keep the miles off my car.

Old February 22nd, 2019, 23:11   #6
jerrymander
Veteran Member

Armrest on the Mk7 sucks **** compared to the MK6, so I see your pain. Nasty, thin vinyl. That said, the Mk6 wasn't a whole lot better. I would just buy a (color-matched) thin gel pad, honestly.
Old March 4th, 2019, 18:11   #7
DasTeknoViking
Veteran Member

Going to be at the upholstery shop next month for some custom work, and I will ask about the arm rest rework with some foam. It's driving me nuts, mk6 door panels don't work as the doors are different. I don't think door swap is possible.

Old March 4th, 2019, 20:22   #8
bizzle
Veteran Member

Either put a gel pad on the armrest or put one around your arm. That's what my doctor prescribed for me (a sheath with a liner of gel) because I have damage to my elbow and nerves from resting my arm in the same way you're describing (mine on tables rather than driving). I went in for carpal tunnel because that's what I've always heard discussed but turns out I have cubital tunnel syndrome. It's the same nerve that you smack on your "funny bone" and gives you the same sensation of a funny bone ding or when something asleep is starting to wake up (pins and needles).

If you're getting any of those sensations you've got to get something protecting that nerve line (ulnar that wraps over your elbow nub) before you wind up like me and have to sleep in a semi-rigid cast around your elbow and forearm
bizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2019, 10:44   #9
CDubber
Veteran Member

Old March 6th, 2019, 11:13   #10
JELLOWSUBMARINE
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDubber View Post

I need that for the wifes 17' Subaru Impreza. That POS will jar your fillings out