www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +)

VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +) Discussions area for the Mk7 (2015+) Golf and Golf Wagon TDIs based on the MQB (Modularer Querbaukasten) platform.

Old February 7th, 2019, 08:29   #1
petee_c
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.6ish L /100km golf.... just under 10L/100km q7
Default Are you driving a stock or tuned '15 Golf TDI (post fix)?

Do you love your stock post fix Golf TDI? or are you tuned?
Found a low mileage 2015 Golf TDI 6MT about an hour away.... I took it for a 15 minute test drive through the north end of the GTA...
Everything seems to work fine on it, - the vent for the rear seats is busted, but I can get a part from china for under $20. VCDS indicates a few misc faults, but most had a fault frequency of 1, and a recorded date of October and November 2018, and less than 100km ago... I think they should go away If I clear the modules... HVAC flapper motor, not at requested x1, something with the ABS module, but the code was pointed to a fault with the driver door contact switch - that one is a bit odd... Passenger seat heat - but the interwebs says that is an incompatibility issue with VCDS. - the Passenger seat heat works as designed.
The issue is the "AEM" warranty.... Man it would be nice to not loose that, but honestly, I was not impressed with the driveability/ soul of the vehicle I test drove.
My previous daily drivers were
2002 Jetta 1.8T 5spd - bought new, I put a tune on it after the powertrain warranty expired - maybe somewhere around 2006, (APR 91) but I was happy with the stock tune til that point.. I kept that car until 2014
2006 Jetta BRM TDI also 5 spd. - bought that in 2014, so no warranty, and then I put a Malone Stage 1.5 tune on it from a local Malone dealer. Car still runs fine. New Valeo SMF clutch within the past 2 yrs - I can get a little slippage in 5th at around 2K rpm if the engine is feeling awake, and I go a little hard on the go pedal, new headliner last year, AUX heater finally works, and a couple doors recently repainted for rust spots... I just put an Android Head Unit in it this fall.
---
The 2015 Golf TDI I am looking at has 6-7 yrs and around 180,000km of warranty left on the emissions and PT... With my current driving habits, that would take me 5-6yrs to hit 180,000km.
I don't know if I want to drive it stock for that long....
----
I'm going to check it out again this weekend and see if it has any of the VCDS tweaks - Direct Response for the pedal, and Vibration Reduction off... I hope to turn them on, (dealership where it was at already let me scan with VCDS) and go for another test drive.... Hopefully the next time won't be in such heavy traffic, and I can see if pressing the go pedal actually makes the car move..
----
I was really hoping to do a Malone Stage 2 tune with Flashzilla, and have the opportunity to go back to the stock file if I ever needed to take it back to the dealership for any Engine or Emissions work.
I believe it will get a 2nd DPF anyways before I am done with the car, and this should not be denied due to a higher than expected flash count on the ECU....
----
Also researching DTUK tuning boxes, but they don't seem as good as a tune... and they are also pricey.
-----
Decisions....
petee_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2019, 11:58   #2
Mythdoc
Veteran Member

Two VCDS modifications will improve the “soul” of the vehicle for free:

— changing the throttle response to linear
— disabling the setting that prevents tire chattering at mashing the pedal from a dead stop (forget what it’s called but it’s talked about in this forum)

Your car your decision, but with VW seemingly fighting any and all warranty repairs I am sticking with stock.

2015 Q5 TDI w/ Chipwerke tuner, 36K Miles. Post fix MPG: 33.9
2015 Golf TDI SE, Lighting Package, 16K miles
2011 Touareg TDI (sold back, May 2018); 2015 Golf TDI S (totaled, Oct 2018)
Mythdoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2019, 15:19   #3
Darth_Furious
Veteran Member

Totally agree with the 2 VCDS mods. If you have the cable, they are "free" so why not. Its turning off vibration reduction and the torque limiter:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...6&postcount=29 and http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...8&postcount=21

I got the KERMA tune and love it. I recommend it highly. If Malone is more convenient for you, go for them. Either tune is worth it in my opinion
Darth_Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2019, 15:36   #4
petee_c
Veteran Member

Thx myth and darth,

Those settings are what I am looking to test tomorrow. I hope it is as easy as as what I've seen on YouTube.

Peter

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk
Old February 7th, 2019, 18:27   #5
sapgar
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Furious View Post
Totally agree with the 2 VCDS mods. If you have the cable, they are "free" so why not. Its turning off vibration reduction and the torque limiter:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...6&postcount=29 and http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...8&postcount=21

I got the KERMA tune and love it. I recommend it highly. If Malone is more convenient for you, go for them. Either tune is worth it in my opinion

I’m right on the edge of getting the Kerma tune and the VCDS mods at a local shop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sapgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2019, 20:58   #6
Mike in Anchorage
Veteran Member

Still stock with about 22 k miles on it. It's a refined machine - much better so than my MkV. If I ever get a cable and a PC, I may toy with the throttle response and getting rid of chatter and the torque limiter. Still, I drive on ice about half of the year, so limiting torue probably allows me to accelerate better more often than I might guess.
~ I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.” Marilyn Monroe
2015 Tornado Red Golf TDI Sportwagen SE, new on 2 SEP 2017, DSG, big sunroof. Lovin it!
Mike in Anchorage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2019, 06:47   #7
740GLE
Veteran Member

TCS does more on slick surfaces than the VCDS hacks, but yeah either way if there's no traction the VCDS mods aren't life changing.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2019, 06:57   #8
chattowntdi

I just bought a 15 a week ago and slapped a Malone stage 2 tune on her last night with the flashzilla. All I can say is wow! Like a whole different car. This is my 3rd tdi with the last being a highly modded alh. With the stage 2 from Malone I dare say it’s just as strong a runner. Mileage has been great in this short time of ownership and I have been impressed all around by the car. However, I agree that the first gear “lag” is horrible from the factory.
chattowntdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2019, 08:11   #9
Tsquare86

Mine is stock and I did the mods listed above to improve the feel of the car through the VCDS and not risking the Warranty. -> Solid improvement!

So far, this thing tows my ATV on the freeway at 80mph hitting about 25mpg no problem in 5th. Otherwise, I'm ok with the general performance of the car.

Those of you with the tune I am jealous about the improved MPG and Torque (indirectly power).
Tsquare86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2019, 08:13   #10
Angus1

Tuned, and turbo. Several obd eleven mods. I'm gonna try the tcs adjustment soon.
Angus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2019, 10:50   #11
petee_c
Veteran Member

I went to test the car a 2nd time this morning. I was able to switch the driving control to linear and the shudder vibration to "normal"
The Shudder Vibration was originally set to "strong", my vehicle (yeah I bought it) only had maximum, strong or normal as the options.
1st gear is pretty short to do any meaningful acceleration, and I can live with the throttle response in 2nd and 3rd....
I believe it is an improvement to the 1st test drive I had a WEEK ago...
I got a decent price on it I think... 2015 Golf TDI 6MT, base model, pleather no electric aux heater... only 66,000km (41K miles) It was the cheapest,newest, lowest mileage manual Golf TDI in the classifieds....
Threads useless without pics, so here are 2.

Last edited by petee_c; February 8th, 2019 at 18:43.
Old February 8th, 2019, 11:47   #12
Mythdoc
Veteran Member

Congrats!

2015 Q5 TDI w/ Chipwerke tuner, 36K Miles. Post fix MPG: 33.9
2015 Golf TDI SE, Lighting Package, 16K miles
2011 Touareg TDI (sold back, May 2018); 2015 Golf TDI S (totaled, Oct 2018)
Mythdoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2019, 14:54   #13
Angus1

I think that may be an se model. I have an s wagen no factory heated seats or fog lights on mine. Your car has both. Congratulations.
Angus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2019, 04:08   #14
PHAT-DUB

I have a 2015 GSW fully deleted with straight pipe and malone stage 2 tune, manual.

I found it not enough for me.
I will be installing a CR190 hybrid soon from xmanturbos

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...64464090377661

Malone had tested one and results were 195hp and 335 ft/lb to wheels

If your on instagram at all this is my account

https://instagram.com/badgeskins_mk7...d=3csxja929ftx

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

www.badgeskins.com
Custom MK4 widebody for sale - here
PHAT-DUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2019, 13:48   #15
GreenLantern_TDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Mid 40s

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAT-DUB View Post
I have a 2015 GSW fully deleted with straight pipe and malone stage 2 tune, manual.

I found it not enough for me.
I will be installing a CR190 hybrid soon from xmanturbos

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...64464090377661

Malone had tested one and results were 195hp and 335 ft/lb to wheels

If your on instagram at all this is my account

https://instagram.com/badgeskins_mk7...d=3csxja929ftx

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
Turbo looks nice. Price delivered? Other parts required for install?