www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +)

VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +) Discussions area for the Mk7 (2015+) Golf and Golf Wagon TDIs based on the MQB (Modularer Querbaukasten) platform.

Old February 4th, 2019, 08:34   #1
petee_c
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.6ish L /100km golf.... just under 10L/100km q7
Default Considering a 2015 Golf TDI 6 speed manual for next commuter

Looking at a 2015 6 speed Golf TDI with pleather, no sunroof, alloy rim for my next commuter vehicle.
I've driven a 2006 Jetta TDI 5 speed (Malone Stage 1.5 BRM) pleather, sunroof for the past 5 years, and it currently has 310,000km on it, I've put on almost 170,000km of them...
Considering a Malone tune for this one too if I buy it, flashzilla for reverting back to 'stock' tune should an issue with the powertrain/tranny need addressing by the dealer for dieselgate warranty. Even if I don't have warranty, I am not all that concerned as my daily driver's havent had warranty for the past 12 yrs or so....
I noticed the clutch on the one I test drove was really light... is this normal for the 6 speed manual?
How's the pleather holding up on your vehicle?
It came with this stock radio....Doing some internet surfing, it looks like it should support streaming music by bluetooth.

My fuel mileage research says I should get 5.5L/100km for my style of commuting.... about 80 or 150km roundtrip to work, rural county roads with speeds about 110-120kph, 4 stop signs... no traffic lights.
Anything I should watch for?
petee_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2019, 13:30   #2
Tsquare86

If I could have kept my ALH going I probably would have stayed with that for a while longer as a longer distance commuter. With kid on the way and the MKIV looking like death I gave in.

Biggest disappointments: Fuel Mileage (I knew this going into the purchase) at 41mpg freeway. The extended warranty, ECU tracking, resulting in me not tuning it.

Loves: It's new, full of gizmos, started in the cold, and tows my atv like a champ.
Tsquare86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2019, 13:49   #3
sootchucker
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2015 Golf
Fuel Economy: Good

yes, bluetooth streaming is possible.

with modifications, i am seeing between 55-65 MPG's.

light clutch normal.
Old February 4th, 2019, 16:17   #4
petee_c
Veteran Member

Yeah, right now I'm backtracking a bit and considering keeping it stock, the warranty is too enticing to me...

This is despite both my previous jetta being tuned (Apr 91 on my 2002 1.8T, and the stage 1.5 on my 06 brm)

I will try the vcds throttle response mod if I do purchase this vehicle.... 6 yrs of added warranty based on my driving habits seems too good to give up at this point) and stock it should have similiar torque to my 06 brm.....

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Last edited by petee_c; February 4th, 2019 at 16:27.
Old February 4th, 2019, 17:13   #5
bigb
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petee_c View Post
Y
I will try the vcds throttle response mod if I do purchase this vehicle....

Some people report better throttle response after the Phase I which makes me wonder if VW already did the mod to help keep any loss of power from being noticed. My Golf with DSG has no lag at all and will easily squeal the front tires.

The radio is not bad at all and streams Bluetooth easily once set up.

I am new to VW (not counting a Beetle in the old days) and I couldn't be happier with this car, five weeks in and I am still looking for excuses to drive it whenever I can.

Last edited by bigb; February 4th, 2019 at 17:16.
bigb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2019, 17:55   #6
petee_c
Veteran Member

The one I test drive definitely had a huge flat spot in 1st and 2nd...

I'm hoping to take a rebuilt Audi a4 for a test drive later this week and then decide...

Old February 14th, 2019, 10:51   #7
MattRabbit
Veteran Member

I just bought one of these. '15 Golf SE manual w/sunroof, lighting package, etc etc. It's been a wonderful car. I thought for sure I'd miss my '01 Golf a ton, but I haven't even looked at it since I bought this one. I've been getting 41-42 mpg on the two tanks I've used on it. I expect that to go up some. So far, no regrets.
http://matt_lisa.home.sprynet.com/
MattRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2019, 10:57   #8
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattRabbit View Post
I just bought one of these. '15 Golf SE manual w/sunroof, lighting package, etc etc. It's been a wonderful car. I thought for sure I'd miss my '01 Golf a ton, but I haven't even looked at it since I bought this one. I've been getting 41-42 mpg on the two tanks I've used on it. I expect that to go up some. So far, no regrets.
Funny, I'm doing the opposite. I have a '15 GSW I bought nearly two years ago. Only has 12K on it now, mostly sits. I still drive my ALH Wagon most of the time. Old habits die hard.
Old February 14th, 2019, 13:09   #9
michTDI
Veteran Member

I have a 2015 GSW CPO, that I have only had for a couple of months. My 2003 A4 Jetta gets better mpg for sure. GSW is bigger and rides better. I don't find that the GSW has very comfortable front seat (probably cuz I am 6'2" and they are made for somebody about 5"5"). Love the automatic lights and rain wipers on the GSW. I also drove a Passat-and kinda wish I had bought that, just for the more roominess in front seat.
michTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2019, 16:16   #10
bigb
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michTDI View Post
I have a 2015 GSW CPO, that I have only had for a couple of months. My 2003 A4 Jetta gets better mpg for sure. GSW is bigger and rides better. I don't find that the GSW has very comfortable front seat (probably cuz I am 6'2" and they are made for somebody about 5"5"). Love the automatic lights and rain wipers on the GSW. I also drove a Passat-and kinda wish I had bought that, just for the more roominess in front seat.
It must depend on where you are folded in half because I am 6'3" and I weigh 240 lbs and the GSW with no sunroof is one of the roomiest and most comfortable passenger cars I have driven. It came up on a search for "cars for tall people" which is what got me looking in the first place. It has more headroom than I had in my Grand Cherokee, my Toyota Highlander and my Infiniti FX35. Only my F-350 is more comfortable but it uses 3 times the fuel and needs a city block to make a U-turn and can't fit in a normal parking spot.

The only complaint I have on the GSW seats is I wish the lumbar support came out just a tad more, and a tad lower. But I can adjust to that with some different pillows I have. Relax the Back has a great, self inflating airplane pillow that you can adjust to any thickness. I am folded in half a bit low though giving me a longer torso with shorter legs than most tall guys, but the GSW works for me, no problems on long drives.
Old February 14th, 2019, 17:58   #11
Chris Bell
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb View Post
The only complaint I have on the GSW seats is I wish the lumbar support came out just a tad more, and a tad lower.
The SEL driver's seat has 4-way lumbar (electric) adjustment. Since, like you, I wanted more lumber protrusion and a different height, I swapped in a used set of SEL seats into my SE. The only downside of these is if you are broad in the torso, the narrower, taller side bolsters could keep you from fitting flat against the backrest without being wedged in.
'96 Passat variant
'99 BMW M3 Cabrio
Chris Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2019, 16:56   #12
15tdi_mk7

TDI(s): MK7 SEL

I bought a 2015 Cpo with 5k miles. Love the car. Almost have 9k miles and have no complaints
15tdi_mk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2019, 13:06   #13
michTDI
Veteran Member

Yes mine does have a sunroof-and its almost claustrophobic as far as headroom.....
michTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2019, 21:37   #14
DevilDogDoc

TDI(s): 2015 Golf S

I’ve put 20000 trouble free miles on my 15 in the past 8 months and I couldn’t be happier.
DevilDogDoc is offline   Reply With Quote