Wagon owners: how well/quickly does your rear defrost work?

McGuillicuddy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon (5MT)
I feel like my rear defrost is quite weak and slow to operate. It's definitely working (i.e. there is *some* power getting through) and there are no dead lines, but based on other vehicles it is quite slow.

Is this just the way these vehicles are? I don't recall having this problem on my sedan - is the circuit different?

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
I feel like my rear defrost is quite weak and slow to operate. It's definitely working (i.e. there is *some* power getting through) and there are no dead lines, but based on other vehicles it is quite slow.

Is this just the way these vehicles are? I don't recall having this problem on my sedan - is the circuit different?
Probably varies with temperature and humidity, but I want to say I don't notice much difference between the sedan and wagon rear defrost times, and the wagon has a couple of repaired lines.

Simon

dober

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Silver Jetta TDI, 2006 Jetta Wagon
Mine worked great until I had the hatch replaced under warranty at Pfaff. Now only about half of it works.

breakfasteatre

Veteran Member
TDI
gone: 97 b4v, 01, 00 mk4 now: 06 mk4v
I have an 06 wagon, the rear defrost works very well, although I have no reference as to whats fast, and whats slow.

Lets say, i turn the car on before i start scraping. If i start at the front, when i get to the back, ice has already melted along the heater strips.

Tsagoth

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon Automatic
I'd say mine works fine. Takes about 5 minutes before you see it starting to work.

What I really miss is the electrically heated windshield on my 90 Grand Marquis. Holy smoke did it ever work well, never had to scrape the windshield in almost ten years.

Tdi Kick

Veteran Member
TDI
91 Sidekick AHU, '05 Passat Variant BHW, '03 Passat Variant BHW 4MO
I dont notice a difference between the wagon, or either of the Golfs. They all work(ed) great. Never owned a sedan, can't give a comparo on those.

One thing i DO note though, is that the rear side glass and sometimes the rear doors fog up quite a bit, especially when i have my boys in the back. itll clear after running the heat for a bit, its just noticeable.

Dunno if this is a common thing, but ive noticed that both the Jetta and the 200 Avant both do it, and none of the old 'murican waggys i had did.

Is this a German thing? :confused: lol