www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +)

VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +) Discussions area for the Mk7 (2015+) Golf and Golf Wagon TDIs based on the MQB (Modularer Querbaukasten) platform.

Old February 4th, 2019, 05:40   #76
bizzle
Veteran Member

I might get those when they become available. I'm just never happy with any of the aftermarket lighting choices, but those seem to get a lot of satisfied reviews.
bizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2019, 06:10   #77
ProfBrown
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: In the sig

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzle View Post
I might get those when they become available. I'm just never happy with any of the aftermarket lighting choices, but those seem to get a lot of satisfied reviews.

This is the same reason I never switched headlight assemblies on my previous vehicles as well. Most aftermarket assemblies you see complaints of poor light output or people complaining about the lenses yellowing early or fading on the clear coat. To be honest I thought this was purely an aftermarket issue but even the OEM (some not all) seem to be skimping in quality as my trucks headlights started to fade this last year and it was a 2013! I may look into a protective vinyl or film over the top of these to prolong the life of these as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old February 5th, 2019, 13:23   #78
ProfBrown
Veteran Member

Does anyone have a recommended brand for a front tow hook I would prefer black, but red seems to be a common color? I am more so looking for the more trendy hanging D ring on the post rather than the factory one. Due to the rain we have been getting here in So Cal and the possibility of snow at my house the dirt roads are pretty sketchy... Iím talking some 1-2 foot deep ruts, slushy clay pits, and quite literally small lakes. Thinking if I have a tow hook already in the front bumper it might alleviate some un-needed cursing and possibly other content lmao. I donít mind the JDM/track car style of leaving it in the bumper which is why I am leaning towards the D ring style.

I also purchased some tire cables today as we just received a weather warning letting us know that there will be cables/chains required on some of the roads I drive and snow possibly down as far as 1500 feet which is a very very rare occurrence in this part of California. Probably a good idea to have cables anyways for further snow trips/travels.

Old February 8th, 2019, 12:28   #79
ProfBrown
Veteran Member

Well I had to go pick up a tow hook form the dealer. The car didnít have one in the first place... got it for free of course because who sells a car from a dealer without a tow hook!

Ordered some headlights! Ed now offers preorders so I jumped on the 2018 style Golf R headlights with the 5500k HID kit for the MK7 cars like mine. Interesting to note, his cost includes shipping to the continental 48 and taxes? Not a bad deal for complete plug and play. Says they will ship out soon after Feb. 20th

Old February 11th, 2019, 12:27   #80
740GLE
Veteran Member

be aware he usually gets them by container shipment but has been known to drop ship directly from china or where ever, and they you may have to declare them, they will cover and duty costs if they do the direct ship just keep in touch with them if thats the case.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2019, 07:57   #81
ProfBrown
Veteran Member

Thanks, I will keep that in mind.

Since 1/17/19 I have already put about 2200 miles on the car. Still loving it.

Old February 21st, 2019, 10:21   #82
ProfBrown
Veteran Member

Little update, on the first month of owning the car if did about 2600 miles of driving. Fuel cost was under $240 bucks. With my truck it would have been over $550 so I am winning in that department for sure!!

Also, hit a pot hole last night on my way home from school while trying to merge in the dark and the rain. I didnít see it in the road. Anyways, I took a second to make sure the car wasnít vibrating and what not and it felt fine so I kept trucking the last 50 miles to get home. When I got home I got out of the car to find this...

Long story short, went to Americas Tire today and I am getting a new set of 4 tires put on. With the way the rebate works out and them buying back the 3 good tires it makes more sense. Plus this way I donít have to do tire rotations/balances any more.

Went with Continental Contact Sport A/S tires. 50k warranty and good characteristics of staying quieter, but good grip and life for a reasonable price. Also, these tires are marketed as an all season tire where as the Nexen N500s they were on there I do not believe are.

Out the door at $663 with a rebate in the mail for $70 on the way in about a month. For just two tires it was going to be around $375. To me this just makes more sense, if I just did 2 I would have 2 different kinds of tires, rotation and expected lives would be different as well as grip and quality. Most people I talked to laughed at the Nexen tires as being cheap and not great quality.

Old February 21st, 2019, 14:45   #83
bigb
Veteran Member

Let us know if there is any noticeable sound reduction with those tires after you have driven on various road surfaces.....I am looking to quiet my ride
Old February 21st, 2019, 18:42   #84
ProfBrown
Veteran Member

I am going to do a write-up bigb on the comparisons between the two tires over a few different categories on the forum.

If you are looking for a new tire, to say the least, I would recommend the Continental Contact Sport A/S tires over the Nexen N5000 tires for just about every reason. One comment may be that under say 25, the ride is a tad stiffer but not jarring by any means. I actually like the slightly stiffer feel honestly.

For the quiet factor, they are extremely quiet on clean paved roads, over patched roads I would say they are about average honestly, but no complaint about them whatsoever on the 25-mile drive home from town which included dry, wet, and mud lol.
Old February 21st, 2019, 19:20   #85
bizzle
Veteran Member

The usual complaint about the Contis is that they wear too quickly, but other than that I believe they're generally regarded as a good tire.
bizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2019, 19:32   #86
bigb
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzle View Post
The usual complaint about the Contis is that they wear too quickly, but other than that I believe they're generally regarded as a good tire.

My tire requirements are good handling, quiet and long shelf life. Mileage is of no concern to me with 4 vehicles my tires age out long before they wear out. The only tires I wear out are the ones on my Express 3500 which is driven daily for work.
Old February 21st, 2019, 19:41   #87
ProfBrown
Veteran Member

Default ProfBrown's 2015 GSW TDI Build

Finishing up the write up as I type this. I make a comment at the mileage life of the Continentals vs the Nexen tires. Iíll link the post to this thread as well.

Old February 21st, 2019, 19:56   #88
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

The Contis that came on my Golf were pretty middle of the road, imo. They weren't the Sports though. I think they were Extreme contact pro or something like that. Try letting some air out if they ride too stiff for your liking.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2019, 20:05   #89
ProfBrown
Veteran Member

Here is the link to the post I made about the tire comparison. Yes, its a bit long winded.. maybe I got carried away lol?

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...77#post5486177
Old February 22nd, 2019, 07:21   #90
ESmith813

It's funny how similar our TDI GSW experiences are from buying time to everything else. Last night I hit a pothole and this morning noticed a bubble in my front tire. I'll be in the exact same boat as you. Being in the Northeast though, I'm contemplating getting a new set of wheels and snow tires, or just replacing these all seasons.
ESmith813 is offline   Reply With Quote