www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old January 6th, 2019, 13:45   #61
KeyTDI
Veteran Member

The Motorhome is a 1984, based upon a Chevy P30 Step Van chassis. Think Food truck. Powertrain is Chevy Big Block 454/7.4L with a 3 speed TH475 HD trans.
I have a Cummins 5.9 12v Diesel under my bench as well as a 4L80e OD Trans too...

The VW is planned to replace our old Range Rover and my 190d as my DD, Doggie and Junkyard car.
I need something that can carry tools, and the like, and also be safe and economical.
KeyTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2019, 17:24   #62
BarryT82
Veteran Member

The DSG service is easy, but time consuming. I did mine this evening. I had always filled it from the bottom using the fill tool, but decided to try it from the top this time and it was much cleaner. AutoZone sells a FloTool funnel that fits perfectly in the hole below the filter. Insert the funnel and fill with DSG fluid.
BarryT82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2019, 20:28   #63
KeyTDI
Veteran Member

Cool.

So, you pulled the drain plug and plastic 'Level Tower", and allowed it all to drain. Then replaced, and filled from above?
Old January 6th, 2019, 20:57   #64
KeyTDI
Veteran Member

A couple of interesting items...
Previous owner said the car was throwing CELs and couldn't be smogged...
This was when I'd owned the car about 24 hours... maybe 5 starts...

I also found this one... which I am a bit concerned about but might be nothing.
Old January 6th, 2019, 21:01   #65
KeyTDI
Veteran Member

Also, can anyone tell me what was done at the Recall?
Egr was changed/Replaced?

And this is the state of the rear bumper.
I want to have it repainted...
Anyone give me an idea of price and how this silver paint match goes??
Old January 7th, 2019, 05:08   #66
BarryT82
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyTDI View Post
Cool.
So, you pulled the drain plug and plastic 'Level Tower", and allowed it all to drain. Then replaced, and filled from above?
Thatís correct. It was much cleaner. If you fill from the bottom make sure that the car is running when you remove the fill hose. If itís running only the excess will come out. If itís off it makes a loud fart sound and craps fluid everywhere.
BarryT82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2019, 10:11   #67
Dwagen

Fuel Economy: 51 MPG (140 mile round-trip)
Default Painting Rear Bumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyTDI View Post
And this is the state of the rear bumper.
I want to have it repainted...
Anyone give me an idea of price and how this silver paint match goes??
If you're not uncomfortable with the idea of painting the bumper yourself using aerosol cans, Automotive Touchup is pretty reputable. A lot of technique is involved though in fading the color to ensure the color blends in with the rest of the vehicle. http://www.automotivetouchup.com

You could also simply replace your rear bumper with the Votex one, which looks really good ($260) and have it painted or paint it yourself: https://www.optikwerks.com/Sportwage...per/index.html

Then sell your old bumper on Craigslist

Instagram: @dmvwagons
YouTube Channel: DMVWagons
Dwagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2019, 10:35   #68
KeyTDI
Veteran Member

Nice links, and info, Thanks!

I might take a shot at painting it myself, as I have a compressor and paint guns.
Old January 7th, 2019, 18:58   #69
Geordi
Veteran Member

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell. But it is really hot here in S. Florida...

You don't need a compressor and guns - Your car is Reflex Silver, the same color that VW has been using for about 20 years. There is very little fading that takes place in that color, I have the same color on my car.

Your results will depend on two things, your prep and your spraying environment.
You can get all the cans you need (probably 3-4 12 ounce cans) at Advance Auto or most likely the other chains. You want the "Perfect Match" type or Dupli-Color.

For prep: Make that thing SMOOOOOOOOOTH! You can use 2000 grit to polish it up, but if that picture is showing the clearcoat delamination I think it is, you will probably want to start with some 500 grit and just work your way up. You can't make it too smooth, any lines or surface height changes will stand right out.

Painting - Take the bumper cover off, and work in a garage or large shed. You want something with a large enough air volume that you don't need fans or an AC system running, you want the air settled. The cover will be much easier to work on a set of horses or something similar to stand pointing the ceiling.

Go slowly, and paint LIGHT COATS from about 6-8 inches away, moving the pattern at about 4 inches per second. Overlapping horizontal passes will be OK, same for vertical, doesn't really matter with light coats. There is an advantage to doing it this way also: You will automatically feather into the existing paint if you didn't sand the whole thing, and it will be really hard to see the overlaps once you have about 10-15 coats down. Yes they will all be REALLY REALLY light. You can add the next coat after about 20-30 minutes (longer if it is really humid) until you are satisfied with the color.

Then you have to do the clear coating. These paints need separate clear coating, and this is the tricky one b/c I've found that it likes to be a heavier coat to end up looking "wet" when it is done. You may want to paint the entire bumper with the clear, to avoid any places having obvious clear coat overspray standing out.

If you brought the cover to a body shop for this, they would probably be about $350 for the work, but then they also have a pretty decent idea of what they are doing. I've done some decent bodywork in the past, but getting the paint right is a bit of an art. I'm decent, but my first couple times were pretty rough.
Old January 8th, 2019, 00:55   #70
bizzle
Veteran Member

I don't tend to get paint fade, but I do get clear de-lamination on my cars. Any advice for fixing the clear coat?
bizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2019, 06:26   #71
KeyTDI
Veteran Member

Thanks for the input!
You answered my question about color fade, and more!

I have a very large skill set, and tool collection. Painting is something I’ve been around a lot of, but not done myself for many years. Maybe this will be my first large project!

Did a 60 mile round trip yesterday, and am getting a feel for the car. 52.2 mpg one way, and after 3 stops and some town traffic, my trip average was 46.1 mpg. I drove at about 60-65mph.
The visit to the VW Dealer inquiring about service history was interesting to say the least. Not everything I was told about the car was true, but then I was expecting that! The Service Guy was helpful and whilst I didn’t get all the facts there is history that I found interesting. Turbo was replaced, as well as intake, and maybe the egr. I also found out that the AC compressor was replaced too
All good info.

When I got home I got a wiff of oil smell.
Upon inspection, I found a puddle of oil on the top of the valve cover. I had not looked at that since I noticed something there before. A quick search says the oil filler cap tastier could be the culprit,and sometimes flipping the gasket can help. I cannot see a gasket on the cap, so maybe that explains it!
Old January 8th, 2019, 08:11   #72
KeyTDI
Veteran Member

Maybe it’s me....
I have spent some time trying to understand the VW Emissions fix.
Where can i actually find out what was done or replaced?
Software was changed, I get that, but what else was done or replaced?
Old January 8th, 2019, 09:32   #73
KeyTDI
Veteran Member

While I was looking at that oil leak yesterday, I spotted the remnants of the piece of foam that covers the black fuel return lines at the back of the valve cover.

I cannot find it in any VW part diagram...
Anyone tell me a part number or name for it, and can I buy it somewhere?

You can see the part i'm missing in the first pic in this overview of Injector replacement. He refers to it as "The Grey Styrofoam Damper".

https://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/f...-0-tdi-engine/
Old January 8th, 2019, 11:33   #74
bizzle
Veteran Member

I didn't even notice you were in Irvine but...are you an Anteater?

I'm from San Diego area but up in LA right now. I'll be meeting some friends in Newport Friday on our way back home. If you're free and you want to line our 2015 alongside your 2012 wagon we can meet up. I used to have a 2012 JSW before the buyback, too, but I don't know if I'd be able to recognize something amiss. I also have my VCDS in my trunk kit if you want to do any testing/tweaking.

Now about that paint skillset and tools of yours...
(I have a delaminating spoiler on my 98 beetle)

I'll also be back through the area during Chinese New Year. If you need to do an engine or DSG oil change, let me know. I have the tools to make those jobs easier, as well.

Last edited by bizzle; January 8th, 2019 at 11:53.
bizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2019, 17:58   #75
KeyTDI
Veteran Member

Thanks for the Input Bizzle!
Not actually in Irvine, but close!
Not an Anteater... But we have a house full of Bruin's, one of those is working toward An Anteater Graduate Program..

Did the Engine Oil, Filter, Fuel filter, air filter, and DSG service...
Exhausted, but will report back in a bit!