www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > Audi SUVs (Q7 & Q5) and other V6 TDIs

Audi SUVs (Q7 & Q5) and other V6 TDIs Discussions area for Audi Q7 and Q5 TDI (2009+ in Canada & the US) as well as others with the V6 TDI such as the A6, A7 and A8 sedans.

Old December 19th, 2018, 07:43   #1
sway162

Default Q7 new owner: Made a mistake and purchased extended warranty

My wife and I got a Q7 TDi last Monday with 63k miles for $24,000. We had our two toddler boys with us. Long story short....I was watching the boys while she was finishing up paperwork at finance. I told her about the extended emissions warranty prior to purchase....she ended up agreeing on a 48 month/48,000 bumper to bumper warranty for an additional $5900! Am I right by telling her that we need to cancel this? She's having a lot of push back but I feel that this will be a complete waste when most of the high dollar repairs could be covered under the emissions warranty. Can someone please chime in and tell me I am right or if I am wrong...I would love to hear your feedback!! Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Josh

12 JSW DSG SOLD

sway162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2018, 08:04   #2
Mythdoc
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sway162 View Post
My wife and I got a Q7 TDi last Monday with 63k miles for $24,000. We had our two toddler boys with us. Long story short....I was watching the boys while she was finishing up paperwork at finance. I told her about the extended emissions warranty prior to purchase....she ended up agreeing on a 48 month/48,000 bumper to bumper warranty for an additional $5900! Am I right by telling her that we need to cancel this? She's having a lot of push back but I feel that this will be a complete waste when most of the high dollar repairs could be covered under the emissions warranty. Can someone please chime in and tell me I am right or if I am wrong...I would love to hear your feedback!! Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Josh

This comes up again and again. Extended warranties make lots of money for the companies, or they wouldn’t flog them so hard. Often it is hard to collect on them when the time actually comes. In this case you are buying a car with a dieselgate negotiated settlement that runs for another almost 60,000 miles and covers the very expensive items of engine and emissions. It is actually hard for me to think of a repair you could encounter, other than these items, that would cost you as much as what she agreed to pay. A rebuilt transmission? Cancel the warranty and put the money in a fund for repairs and maintenance.

What this boils down to is psychological. Many folks will pay a high price to have “peace of mind.” But simplicity is worth something as well. I’d rather not pay that kind of money and later not worry about having to fight with some stupid bean counter about whether my repair is covered under their “bumper to bumper” warranty.

2015 Q5 TDI w/ Chipwerke tuner, 36K Miles. Post fix MPG: 33.9
2015 Golf TDI SE, Lighting Package, 16K miles
2011 Touareg TDI (sold back, May 2018); 2015 Golf TDI S (totaled, Oct 2018)
Mythdoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2018, 17:10   #3
Pittdawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sway162 View Post
Am I right by telling her that we need to cancel this?