www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You




Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old December 18th, 2018, 16:27   #1
ZiggyoftheNorth
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Aliquippa PA
Default Newer factory shark fin antenna on MKIV Jetta

I took a shark fin off a 2008 or 2010 Passat. It has two wires. One is black and I believe is the radio antenna. The other is gray and I think it is navigation. Mine has a single black wire. I don't have navigation or OnStar. I assume I need to connect the black wire to my black wire but the connectors are different. If this was a single wire it would be easy, but I appears to be a small diameter coaxial cable. Would a newer car without navigation have the same connector as mine or is there some sort of adaptor I can get?
ZiggyoftheNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2018, 04:21   #2
bobbiemartin
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyoftheNorth View Post
I took a shark fin off a 2008 or 2010 Passat. It has two wires. One is black and I believe is the radio antenna. The other is gray and I think it is navigation. Mine has a single black wire. I don't have navigation or OnStar. I assume I need to connect the black wire to my black wire but the connectors are different. If this was a single wire it would be easy, but I appears to be a small diameter coaxial cable. Would a newer car without navigation have the same connector as mine or is there some sort of adaptor I can get?
It may not have a radio antenna. Not sure on the Passats, but lots of VWs with shark fins have the radio antenna in the rear glass. Shark fin antennas include navi, satellite radio and cell for OnStar. This chart may help determine what you have.
__________________

bobbiemartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2018, 06:14   #3
ZiggyoftheNorth
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Aliquippa PA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbiemartin View Post
It may not have a radio antenna. Not sure on the Passats, but lots of VWs with shark fins have the radio antenna in the rear glass. Shark fin antennas include navi, satellite radio and cell for OnStar. This chart may help determine what you have.
Thanks. I'll have to compare the key part when I get home. It has Black which is radio's color. It also looks like they sell various adaptors too and if not too costly that may be the way to go.
ZiggyoftheNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2018, 19:48   #4
JettaTDIBlack
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Brandon, FL
Fuel Economy: 38.88mpg/City Not tested, yet/Highway
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbiemartin View Post
It may not have a radio antenna. Not sure on the Passats, but lots of VWs with shark fins have the radio antenna in the rear glass. Shark fin antennas include navi, satellite radio and cell for OnStar. This chart may help determine what you have.
Does a third party make one of these with all of these features plus work for HD/Radio that fits a MK4?

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
JettaTDIBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2018, 07:03   #5
ZiggyoftheNorth
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Aliquippa PA
Default

I found a VW/Audi radio antenna to Fakra adapter on Amazon. Couldn't tell much from the photos but the description sounded right and it was cheap so I ordered it. I'll post the results.
ZiggyoftheNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2019, 09:45   #6
JettaTDIBlack
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Brandon, FL
Fuel Economy: 38.88mpg/City Not tested, yet/Highway
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyoftheNorth View Post
I found a VW/Audi radio antenna to Fakra adapter on Amazon. Couldn't tell much from the photos but the description sounded right and it was cheap so I ordered it. I'll post the results.
Any news? I'll eventually replace the stock single din factory radio with an aftermarket two din radio.

dubrs.com
JettaTDIBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2019, 19:44   #7
ZiggyoftheNorth
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Aliquippa PA
Default

This is what I ordered. I got it today but haven't had a chance to se if it fits. It looks like it is Fakra to standard coax like on an American car. I may need another adaptor.

https://www.amazon.com/KYLIN-ANTENNA...236_SY340_QL65
ZiggyoftheNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2019, 17:04   #8
turbovan+tdi
Veteran Member
 
turbovan+tdi's Avatar
Default

Our cars don't like shark fin, I've tried a few, including OEM MK5/6, made my own adapters, reception isn't the greatest. Let me know how that booster works out.
__________________
1984 6.2 Diesel Get A Way van, remote turbo setup designed/installed by me, burning anything that burns.
2003 GSW, 2.0L ALH, Stage 2 Colt Cam, 1756 turbo, auto, silver, 380k-Wife's.
2004 GSW TDI, blue, 5 speed-DD-Malone stage 2, no kitty, aeroturbine muffler, PD150's.
2003 JSW 1.8T, silver-parting out. 2006 JSW, TDI 5 speed, blue.
turbovan+tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2019, 08:52   #9
ZiggyoftheNorth
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Aliquippa PA
Default

So far, it looks like my adapter needs an adaptor. The Fakra ends are both male. Thinking of hunting down connectors and making my own.
ZiggyoftheNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2019, 12:59   #10
SilverGhost
Veteran Member
 
SilverGhost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Old Hickory, TN. Settling here...
Default

One of the only (later model cars) shark fin roof antennas to have AM/FM radio is the Tiguan. Most of the rest have AM/FM in the side and/or rear glass. And Tiguan was available with Nav and CarNet, so possible to get AM/FM, GPS, Cell, and Sirius.

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2019, 13:02   #11
SilverGhost
Veteran Member
 
SilverGhost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Old Hickory, TN. Settling here...
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyoftheNorth View Post
This is what I ordered. I got it today but haven't had a chance to se if it fits. It looks like it is Fakra to standard coax like on an American car. I may need another adaptor.

https://www.amazon.com/KYLIN-ANTENNA...236_SY340_QL65
That is to install aftermarket radio into car with diversity antenna system with multiple antennas (W8 Passat or later MkV, MkVI)

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2019, 13:10   #12
bobbiemartin
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGhost View Post
One of the only (later model cars) shark fin roof antennas to have AM/FM radio is the Tiguan. Most of the rest have AM/FM in the side and/or rear glass. And Tiguan was available with Nav and CarNet, so possible to get AM/FM, GPS, Cell, and Sirius.
My 2012 Tiguan had a dummy (empty) shark fin antenna. The AM/FM antenna is in the back glass. I installed a factory satellite/navi radio, so I changed the shark fin to an antenna for those but kept the glass antenna for the radio signals.
__________________

bobbiemartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2019, 17:36   #13
ZiggyoftheNorth
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Aliquippa PA
Default

I grabbed the antenna from a MK5. Mine is a MK4 and as far as I know there is no option for an antenna in the glass on mine. The seller of the adaptor has some explanation of the shark fin switching between channels to maintain a constant signal. I'm not sure if a MK5 is set up that way or has an antenna in the glass.

I realize it is for radio installation, but expected it to plug in at the shark fin the same as it would under the dash. I hoped the coax would match VW, but didn't

I can try grabbing the wiring from the antenna to the dash. I think adaptors may be easier though.
ZiggyoftheNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2019, 11:08   #14
SilverGhost
Veteran Member
 
SilverGhost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Old Hickory, TN. Settling here...
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbiemartin View Post
My 2012 Tiguan had a dummy (empty) shark fin antenna. The AM/FM antenna is in the back glass. I installed a factory satellite/navi radio, so I changed the shark fin to an antenna for those but kept the glass antenna for the radio signals.
I have a 2009 Tiguan with the whip antenna and no antenna in the glass. It does seem to vary by year, but also by equipment. I have seen a very few base models with a MkIV whip antenna. And I have seen loaded cars that have antennas like yours.

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2019, 11:20   #15
SilverGhost
Veteran Member
 
SilverGhost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Old Hickory, TN. Settling here...
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyoftheNorth View Post
I grabbed the antenna from a MK5. Mine is a MK4 and as far as I know there is no option for an antenna in the glass on mine. The seller of the adaptor has some explanation of the shark fin switching between channels to maintain a constant signal. I'm not sure if a MK5 is set up that way or has an antenna in the glass.

I realize it is for radio installation, but expected it to plug in at the shark fin the same as it would under the dash. I hoped the coax would match VW, but didn't

I can try grabbing the wiring from the antenna to the dash. I think adaptors may be easier though.
Sorry, I should have been more clear. That adapter goes under the dash to hook up an aftermarket radio to stock antenna, and power up the stock signal amplifier in the antenna.

Main difference on the FARKA connectors is index tabs. Colors indicate function. Tan or white is AM/FM, green is SDARS (SiriusXM), blue is GPS, and I think purple is GSM (cellular). I think the repair connector is grey and has no index tabs.

The diversity antenna does basically what the seller says, but not the shark fin. Generally the system works with multiple antennas. Either in back side windows (one on each side) or rear window (antenna connection on both sides meaning two antenna grids). The only thing the shark fin or whip antenna could do is filter out signal reflections (like off tall buildings).

Kufatec does antanna adaptors.

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shark Fin antenna ApriliaNut VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs 4 May 6th, 2013 14:32
WTB 2006 Jetta Shark Fin antenna psd1 Private TDI Items for Sale/Wanted 0 December 29th, 2012 11:20
2009 Jetta Shark fin antenna rotorhead23 VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas 6 July 2nd, 2010 18:51
shark fin antenna TXRanger83 VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas 12 February 4th, 2010 06:14
Shark fin styled antenna Concat Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) 5 November 13th, 2009 21:11


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 18:56.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright - TDIClub Online LTD - 2017
Contact Us | Privacy Statement | Forum Rules | Disclaimer
TDIClub Online Ltd (TDIClub.com) is not affiliated with the VWoA or VWAG and is supported by contributions from viewers like you.
1996 - 2017, All Rights Reserved
Page generated in 0.17528 seconds with 11 queries
[Output: 131.09 Kb. compressed to 110.42 Kb. by saving 20.66 Kb. (15.76%)]